How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    What I meant was...flags you like someone who is "Wanted"...
    Probably also flags them if the driver is a LEO himself--that way they'll behave when they pull them over.

Thumbs down Coundn't Resist

I think you should always inform an officer that you are carrying so that you can start another discusion with the officer about whether to carry with a round in the chamber.

Even though it is a requirement in my state (NC), and even though I believe it is a professional courtesy and possibly prevent problems later, I do have reservations.

For the most part, LEOs have been polite and appreciative when I handed them my drivers license and my conceal carry permit as I informed them I was carrying. They simply thanked me for informing them and moved on.

But on one occasion I was stopped by a North Carolina Highway Patrol Officer while taking my two kids to a bus stop (they had missed the bus).

Now keep in mind, I am stopped at a busy intersection where my neighbors and people I know are passing by. The officer approaches my car, I hand him my license and my CCW and inform him I am carrying.

This officer feels it is his duty to show me how dissapproving he is of CCW carrying citizens. With his gun drawn, he orders my hands up and for me to exit the car. By this time my kids are freaking. He has me place my hands on top and my legs spread while he pats me down and removes my gun. He has me maintain this position while he goes back to his car and writes me a speeding ticket.

When he returns, he has me get back in the car and he places the gun with the mag removed in the back seat with one of my kids and wishes me a good day and leaves.

This is exactly why LEOs get a bad rap...bad apples like this guy.
    Barrett Powell

I'm fine with it. I live in PA and we don't have to tell LEOs. But they have a right to know if they could be in danger or not. Most LEOs I know in PA appreciate being told. Most have families they want to go home to safely.

6. If disclosure is not required by your state, then you are free to use your own judgement based on the situation at the time. There are no guarantees either way.

Quote Originally Posted by JrFreak:222078
    I'm fine with it. I live in PA and we don't have to tell LEOs. But they have a right to know if they could be in danger or not. Most LEOs I know in PA appreciate being told. Most have families they want to go home to safely.
    I have a right to know if I'm in danger from them as well. I too have a family I need to take care of.

Depends on the situation. In Indiana we're not required to notify. If I'm a passenger in a car that gets pulled over, then probably not, unless I'm asked to step out of the car. If I'm on foot or pretty much anywhere I think I'm about to get frisked, then I would notify immediately. I think whether or not to notify is a personal choice, but you should exercise good judgment when deciding whether or not to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by JrFreak View Post
    But they have a right to know if they could be in danger or not.
    What you're ACTUALLY saying is that they have a "right" to be TOLD they're not in "danger".

• Just because I tell him I've got an LTCF doesn't mean I won't shoot him when the opportunity arrises.
    • Just because I don't tell him I've got an LTCF doesn't mean I will shoot him.

Why don't we just cut to the chase and pass a law requiring anyone stopped by the police to notify the cops if they plan to shoot them?

Notification is utterly pointless and at BEST an unwarranted letting down of the cop's guard.

At worst it's an open invitation to abuse by a cop who prevents you from notifying, then arrests you for not doing what he wouldn't let you do in the first place.

This is one reason why I do not like notification laws. This leo is in my opinion not fit to carry a gun and badge. Treating an honest citizen like a high risk felon, threatening him with a gun, when the citezen is obeying the law. Then he has the gall to say have a nice day? I know some will say how does the officer know? But if this is true everybody who has a gun should get the same treatment. Not a pleasent thought. I would find myself a real good lawyer and make sure that sorry excuse for an leo legally pays for this travesty. Cops like this set greatly set back leo-citizen relations. Law enforcement officers want respect. So do honest citezens. I expect nothing less than to be respected by ALL law enforcement just as they expect to be respected by me. Respect is earned. This cop earned my contempt. I expect ALL law enforcement officers to obey the law just as I am required to do. Nothing less is acceptible.

I inform them. In Utah cops are nice most if the time. Gotten out of a ticket once or twice because of it

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast