1911 Carry opinions

Thread: 1911 Carry opinions

1911 Carry opinions

So I am patiently waiting for my Utah NR CCW to come in the mail. Being in communist Illinois I can not LEGALLY carry a weapon in the state. Thankfully I do some travel for work and will be able to protect myself then.

I have decided I would like to carry a 1911, preferably full size. I know this can take up a lot or room and be bulky. Currently I am looking at getting a Springfield Range Officer, if I can ever find one.

My question is for the people who do carry a 1911 daily. Is having adjustable sights good or bad in a carry weapon? I will be carrying on my hip with an IWB holster. My concern is that normal movement could potentially adjust the sights for me.
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Somewhere, Texas, United States
    On my carry weapons I prefer fixed sights. The Range Officer was designed specificaly with competition in mind. For the same amount of money, I would suggest pick something a bit better suited for carry. And maybe consider a commander length barrel.

Houston Metro Area, Texas
    I carry a combat commmander for my carry weapon see photo, carry it all the time am skilled and carry winter and summer in Texas and every place I can carry love it. Peace, Love, Colt 45

I like 1911s. Classic design. High-performing pistol. Was carried by our armed forces for many years.

However - I will not carry one. There are a number of factors that make the 1911 less than ideal as a personal defense firearm.

The 1911 is a single action pistol. If you carry it hammer down, you have to cock it before you shoot it. If you carry it "cocked and locked" (which means hammer cocked and safety on), then you have to click off the safety before you shoot it. Either way, it means two actions between drawing and firing. Less than ideal, since the average self defense situation lasts about 2.5 seconds and is at close range.

Instead, I recommend a double-action-only pistol such as Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P series. The safety is mounted on the trigger, which effectively reduces you to 1 action between drawing and firing - which is pulling the trigger. However...in a holster that properly covers the trigger guard of the firearm, the safety will be effective in preventing the gun from inadvertently being fired. Another advantage of these pistols is that the frames are of polymer construction, which is much lighter. Nice to have a pistol that doesn't cause you to hike up your pants all day.

Sights almost don't matter in a personal defense firearm. Most defensive situations happen at close range, so defenders wind up doing "point and shoot" in about 85% of cases. A more pressing concern about the sights is "Will they snag on holster or clothing when drawing my firearm?" Generally speaking, fixed sights with beveled or 'melted' edges are best (which also holds true for any protrusion from the firearm). One pretty effective compromise you'll often see is a fixed front sight blade, with rear sight adjustable for both windage and elevation.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth. Hope you find the information and opinions to be helpful.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover

6. I carry my 1911 (commander size w/mag well & alloy frame) more than any other weapon I own. It is easily concealable, and very quick into action. I carry "cocked & locked" at all times, and have found that disengaging the safety can be incorporated into the drawing motion very simply by practicing keeping your thumb in an elevated position when clearing the holster. As you complete the draw (clear leather) you simply bring your thumb down on the safety and keep the thumb pressed on the safety as you move the weapon on target. With practice, this draw "stroke" will become perfectly natural, and VERY FAST. (practice ONLY with an EMPTY weapon for the first 100 or so repetitions!!) It is also vitally important to control the trigger finger during this draw. I "index" my finger on the front of the trigger guard throughout the entire motion until my front sight is on target and the threat has been fully assessed.

7. I carry a full size 1911 quite often. I carry IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. I am very comfortable with this pistol. I don't think you will have any problem with the sights on the Range Officer. I have looked those guns over and I like them a lot. Personally I prefer night sights on all my carry pistols. But I think that the range officer will carry just fine for you with the adjustable sights. My #1 carry gun is a Glock 21. When I am doing work that requires a small concealed pistol I usually carry #2 a Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm). And I always enjoy #3 one of my 1911's. If you decide that you don't like the sights on your Range Officer for carry you will have a lot of options for night sights you can check out.

A Commander is a great carry gun.

Forget the BS about cocking hammers and the like.

This weapon was designed to be perfectly safe when carried "Cocked an Locked."

Also, those sights on the "Range Officer" are designed for bullseye shooters and pose a snag hazard.

SE FL and SE OH
    If you are worried about the cocked and locked, get a thumbbreak that goes between the hammer and pin. No problems with full size 1911 except you do not want adjustable target sights. You will find that they dig into your skin. A set of Novaks works fine. And for an EDC CCW, go with stainless. Sweat will get thru a phosphate coating and cause rust.