Responsibility of passengers to notify - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Responsibility of passengers to notify

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator:218998
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    Cops are human. Good cops can have bad days.
    Do I get to have bad days with cops? I didn't think so. When people do, they end up in jail... and often tazed, pepper sprayed, beaten or shot.

"Good cops" don't get to have UNLAWFUL days. When they do, they become BAD cops and criminals. They need to no longer be cops AT ALL, good OR bad.
    I agree. Never thought to put it into those words. reminds me of that one quick conversation in the movie, not the government operation, Fast Furious.

"O'Conner, do you know the difference between a cop and a criminal?

What?

One bad judgment call.
    Keep your **** in line, son."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator:218995
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I say follow the law. If you want to voluntarily give up your rights, in respect for the officer, that is completely fine. I will give notice as a passenger when it is law, or if and when they address me.
    In my experience, those who not only willingly give up their rights, but who demand that others do so, don't actually believe in rights. They're nihilists who believe in power and the ability to impose that power on others.
    True, but that's one reason for owning a firearm, to take the option of force off the table. They can be nihilists all they want, but I respect non threatening opinion more.

We dont have to notify so... NO is my answer regardless where Im sitting in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    True, but that's one reason for owning a firearm, to take the option of force off the table. They can be nihilists all they want, but I respect non threatening opinion more.
    I think that it's silly to give up ones own rights willingly, like notifying when it isn't required by law, but it doesn't directly harm me. You could argue that it harms me indirectly by creating an unreasonable expectation on the part of cops, not backed up by law. But it at least does not DIRECTLY harm me.

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    You jump into a car for a short ride to a job site or a friend's house, you have no idea what the driver thinks about guns, and, quite frankly, you have made it a principal of your life to not show or discuss your weapon with anyone, save an LEO that you must. So why would you all of a sudden stop the guy before he opens his door and say, "Hey, before you drive me anywhere, I have to tell you - I carry a concealed firearm. I thought you should know because if you get pulled over, you'll need to tell the cop that I've got a firearm on me." Are you kidding? this is waaaaay TMI!!! The driver may have just met you, but now he knows stuff about you that you didn't really want him to know. He may tell others, which you also didn't want, because you don't know if he can keep a secret to save his life.
    The ideas above got me thinking. Maybe part of responsible carrying means not accepting a ride from someone you don't trust to tell you're carrying. If you can't tell the driver you're carrying so you can ALL be sure you obey the law (if it is the law) then maybe you need find another ride or be the one that offers the ride. This may not be at all convenient in some situations but how many other situations require us to potentially inconvenience ourselves to carry safely/responsibly (even looking outside of cumbersome laws).

Just a thought...

I have an aunt that I would NEVER tell I carry, she's one of those anti gun nuts. The only way she'll EVER find out is if she happens to be around when I have to pull it. Hypothetically say I accept a ride from her and we end up getting pulled over in a neighboring state that mandates we notify an officer. During the stop the officer asks if ANYONE in the car is carrying a weapon (disregard why he would do this, this IS a hypothetical). She would honestly say no, as I would not have told her, and would end up unknowingly lying to a LEO. Does allowing THAT to happen qualify as responsibly carring a weapon?
    Last edited by Peregrine Falcon; 08-10-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: additional thoughts...

I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon by the State of Florida. The law here does not require me to inform anyone of my carry "status". I do not advertise my carry status to anyone, particularly someone I don't know or only know casually. I suppose if I ever catch a ride with those of you who feel it is my duty to inform you, and you should somehow find out I am carrying - you can let me out on the side of the road and I will find another ride.

7. I'm still trying to figure out how telling a cop about my lawfully and safely carried firearm is going to help them go home safe at night...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

8. I think it comes down to personal responsibility. I'm not required to notify here in Washington state but I plan to anyway just as a courtesy. I'm not giving up any info he wouldn't be able to get or maybe even already has. I do have something to gain which is the appearance of forthrightness which is to my advantage. Its not a guarantee of respect from the cop but its not likely to hurt anyway-and it might help. Regarding passengers who are carrying, as the driver I am legally responsible for those in my vehicle. I would not expect to be notified of anyone carrying concealed but if I did know, I would use my own judgement as to what was best. Remember, when you share a secret it is no longer a secret & you've given the power of judgement to another for good or ill. If you tell me-its out of your hands. Just another good reason to choose your friends wisely. On a personal note, there are damn few people who know I carry & I prefer to keep it that way. It gives me more control over my business.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; 08-11-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234