Responsibility of passengers to notify
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Responsibility of passengers to notify

1. Responsibility of passengers to notify

Having taken a road trip recently I got to thinking about how to handle this. What is the responsibility of a licensed ccw passenger of a vehicle in regards to notifying LEO? Should the passenger notify immediately or wait till the LEO addresses them directly? I have read alot about the driver, just not the passengers. What are your thoughts?

Being that the driver is typicaly the first person the LEO talks to. The driver should inform him of all those armed in his vehicle.

4. But isn't the point of concealed that no one knows? If that is the case the driver would not know.

All of my friends know that I have a ccw and that I carry pretty much 24-7.

Quote Originally Posted by oOHsSNAP:218756
    But isn't the point of concealed that no one knows? If that is the case the driver would not know.
    The "point of concealed" varies from state to state, person to person and is irrelavent. The driver should always be aware of everything occuring in and around his vehicle.

Good question! I would like my husband to inform the cop that I am carrying too if he is the driver. Saves a lot of heartaches later.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Horkos:218760
    Quote Originally Posted by oOHsSNAP:218756
    But isn't the point of concealed that no one knows? If that is the case the driver would not know.
    The "point of concealed" varies from state to state, person to person and is irrelavent. The driver should always be aware of everything occuring in and around his vehicle.
    playing devils advocate..

do you believe a store manager (privately owned to make it simple) should also be told you are ccw. They should know everything going on in and around their store. Most replies have been, there has to be a legal sign, or they will ignore it, some ignore it anyways because concealed is concealed and they would never know.

What does the law state about passenger notification?

Notify if it says you have to, don't if it says you don't.

9. I'd tell him/her...

...because there's a chance that you'll get one of the totalitarian-type cops that will have a fit and ruin your day once he finds out. I won't trust a cop to respect/obey the law any more than I'd trust a .25 to protect my life - it may, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by oOHsSNAP View Post
    In Ohio, EVERYBODY has to notify, and INDIVIDUALLY.

OOhsSNAP.....
    I would tend to agree with jcarmody. I will provide a copy of the South Carolina law which states:
    Section 23-31-215
    (K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.
    So as you can clearly see there is no requirement except as provided by law above.....HOWEVER,I could almost bet you that the Peace Officer making the stop would "snap" and go off the deep end if you did not IMMEDIATELY notify him of the firearm in the automobile.
    The Peace Officer would probably "use" Officer SAFETY as the excuse to violate your rights and require you to "dance for him" or find an excuse to arrest you. This is a great topic of discussion.
    Be Safe,
    Jim
    Owner, Self Defense CWP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast