CC to & from workplace and public transportation - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: CC to & from workplace and public transportation

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    There has been similar threads on this before. Your employer does not have to follow the 2nd amendment on his private property. Just like I can't bring a gun into your house and claim 2nd amendment, excusing any trespassing. Your employer can also limit your 1st amendment by not allowing you to make racially or sexual remarks, which you are allowed to do in public. The constitution tells the government, not the citizen, what they can not take away.

    Edit: there has been some more replies since I posted. ultimately that is the answer, whether you like it or not, you can find a job that is more gun friendly. Just like we find grocery stores that are gun friendly.

    I would say your employer has no obligation to accommodate the security of your firearm if they don't allow firearms on the premise at all.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    65
    On the point of carrying on public transit, in Portland Oregon, according to my CHL instructor, you can ride on Trimet (public transit) with a concealed handgun if you have a CHL. Apparently you can't open carry but I'm not sure if that restriction only applies to non CHL holders. We have preemption in this state (thank God for that) so that public institutions and municipalities can't legally restrict CHL holders (either open or concealed carry) beyond what the state permits . However they can restrict open carry of unlicensed individuals - Portland being the most obvious example. I'm guessing that Trimet is a public institution and probably doesn't have the right to restrict open carry by CHL holders. However I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars to find out so I keep it concealed (don't like to advertise the fact). As mentioned before private institutions do have the right to restrict your 2nd amendment rights.

  4. I'm in Portland, too. Probably one of the most liberal cities in the country. TriMet (our local transit agency,) tries to CLAIM you can't carry, but their regulations are so finely worded that they're obviously trying to obfuscate the fact that they can't legislate CHL holders. (They say they ban all weapons, except where they can't, and when they can't... "Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees." (One funny side-effect of their rules: A 'knife' is banned, but a machete isn't. A machete isn't a "knife", and it's not an "instrument, article, device, material or substance specifically designed for, or attempted to be used to, inflict or cause bodily harm to another", it's an agriculture implement.)

    AKA: If a driver sees it, they'll freak out, and you'll get in trouble.

    But, I've found that the vast majority of Portland businesses have no posted prohibition on concealed carry. My employer (in a high-rise downtown,) has nothing in our employee manual restricting concealed carry, and I even checked with the high-rise security - no prohibition. Therefore, I'm good, in ultra-liberal Portland.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oregon City, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    65
    That's why I'm so glad we have preemption. You know we'd never be able to legally carry in this city if it didn't exist. We'd be as helpless as Londoners in a riot

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post
    But, I've found that the vast majority of Portland businesses have no posted prohibition on concealed carry. My employer (in a high-rise downtown,) has nothing in our employee manual restricting concealed carry, and I even checked with the high-rise security - no prohibition. Therefore, I'm good, in ultra-liberal Portland.
    Wow, I'm jealous! I guess I've been living under the Chicago mindset for so long I would never think that in other cities most employers would allow CC in their offices... Unthinkable! Is that true in cities other than Portland as well?

    I work for a major US company though. Their other locations in shall issue states ban them as well... but of course those employees can keep them in their cars. I'd guess ~90% of their employees drive, whereas here in Chicago it's reverse, 90% take public trans.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by mtallit:219311
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post
    But, I've found that the vast majority of Portland businesses have no posted prohibition on concealed carry. My employer (in a high-rise downtown,) has nothing in our employee manual restricting concealed carry, and I even checked with the high-rise security - no prohibition. Therefore, I'm good, in ultra-liberal Portland.
    Wow, I'm jealous! I guess I've been living under the Chicago mindset for so long I would never think that in other cities most employers would allow CC in their offices... Unthinkable! Is that true in cities other than Portland as well?

    I work for a major US company though. Their other locations in shall issue states ban them as well... but of course those employees can keep them in their cars. I'd guess ~90% of their employees drive, whereas here in Chicago it's reverse, 90% take public trans.
    I don't know about most. I worked in a company that only allowed firearms in the persons car (Eugene, OR). I carried anyways knowing that if caught I would comply with their decision of letting me go. Hard to say what every company policy is unless you ask, I had to search for it at the last place I worked.

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mtallit View Post
    I think this is a little different. I am not asking to carry at work. Just to store the gun somewhere secure before I enter the work location building. Plus, I can't think of any office employer, I'm a CPA, that would allow carrying unless you work for the FBI, CIA, Police or other such employers.

    Would my employer have to make some sort of accomodation (lockers in the security room, cage with secure access and lockers in the parking garage, etc.) so that they do not deny me my 2nd amendment right to bear arms and protect myself on my way to and from work?
    Plus, your theory totally reflects Chicago's stance on guns. You want one, then live or work someplace else. Hell no!
    Your original post asked if the employer would have to accommodate you for your 2nd amendment right, and my answer still stands: your 2nd amendment right ends at the edge of his property. His property, his rules, your SOL. You want to bring your firearm to work and store it on premises, find an employer more willing to allow you. You say "Hell, no" but reality is the employer has the right, legally, morally, and ethically, to make that policy.

  9. The thing to remember is that the employer has to EXCLUDE weapons, not include. Many employers I'm sure never even think about it. I'm sure that's the reason mine doesn't have a no guns policy. Ironically, I bet it's more common to *NOT* have such a policy in LESS gun-friendly cities. When it is exceedingly rare for someone to carry, employers don't think about it!

    I bet if I started carrying openly, someone would complain, and a new rule would end up in the employee handbook banning guns. (Thankfully - again, in spite of being in fairly gun-unfriendly Portland - I have a decent number of gun-aficionado coworkers. So in my exact work area, I'd likely be fine, but if I were to wander up to accounting or legal, I'd probably draw unwanted attention.)

  10. #19
    As much as NY has some of the most restrictive hurdles to cross for CCW, other than the "State" of NYC we can carry anywhere other than courthouse, school,airports, post office, or other federal buildings. I believe they restrict the 10 blocks around the Albany capital area also. I rarely see a NO GUNS sign anywhere.We can carry in bars, sports centers, pretty much anywhere. I am NO authority on this but the NYS website tells you where you can't.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by mtallit View Post
    How is carrying on public transportation handled in other cities / states?
    NYS has no ban on carrying on public transportation.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast