Car travel from SC thru and in MD, PA, NY and NJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Car travel from SC thru and in MD, PA, NY and NJ

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388

    Car travel from SC thru and in MD, PA, NY and NJ

    Sorry for probably asking redundant question on gun carry. Will travel by car thru several states that do not, according to CC map, allow any reciprocating CCWP with my SC permit; these states are MD, PA, NJ and NY, including NY City. Am I allowed to have loaded firearm (secure in glove compartment or middle console) as I travel thru or remain in these states? If I should have an imminent possibilty of great bodily injury in those states, what are the very real problems, legal/LEO, if I actually retrieve firearm for protection? Other states including NC, VA and DE seem to be ok. Any comments most welcome. Thank you

  2.   
  3. you may want to contact the state LEO in each state to get your answers

  4. #3
    Before you get to the border of MD. You will have to stop and secure your weapon. Weapon in a case (locked preferably), then put in the trunk, and ammo in the front of your vehicle (glove compartment). When you get into DE., do not bother to go through the process of re-arming yourself, because you will be in New Jersikstan within twenty minutes. Please do not even entertain the idea of traveling through any of the aforementioned states with a loaded weapon. They will put you in jail, no ifs, ands, or buts. I assure you that I am not trying to be an alarmist, but I am from N.J., and I live in S.C. now (for obvious reasons). I know what they are about, and that is to keep the law abiding citizen unarmed and the criminal in charge. Also keep in mind of your final destination, if it is one of these states, then whomever you are staying with, when you arrive, immediately stow your weapon and all your accompaniment to the weapon. And if you happen to get pulled over, dummy up, Yes sir/No sir, Thank you officer,etc., because if you give them a millimeter, they will use it against you in a heartbeat. Again, not being an alarmist, but please use your best judgement and extreme caution.
    "Nemo me impune lacessit"

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Thanks CLM for answer. Kind of knew what the answer would be, particularly in NY/NJ. Not worth it for me. If it isn't loaded and I will have a problem, it is a useless exercise in responsible self defense. I only go "north" because I have to (niece's wedding). I guess situational awareness will be my self defense and then get back to SC where citizens can stil defend themselves responsibly without nanny hypocritical politicians telling me otherwise. Just wonder how many NJ/NY politicos have permission to CC but are fully behind the rest of us having to fend for ourselves in their state hellholes

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by CLM1911 View Post
    Before you get to the border of MD. You will have to stop and secure your weapon. Weapon in a case (locked preferably), then put in the trunk, and ammo in the front of your vehicle (glove compartment). When you get into DE., do not bother to go through the process of re-arming yourself, because you will be in New Jersikstan within twenty minutes. Please do not even entertain the idea of traveling through any of the aforementioned states with a loaded weapon. They will put you in jail, no ifs, ands, or buts. I assure you that I am not trying to be an alarmist, but I am from N.J., and I live in S.C. now (for obvious reasons). I know what they are about, and that is to keep the law abiding citizen unarmed and the criminal in charge. Also keep in mind of your final destination, if it is one of these states, then whomever you are staying with, when you arrive, immediately stow your weapon and all your accompaniment to the weapon. And if you happen to get pulled over, dummy up, Yes sir/No sir, Thank you officer,etc., because if you give them a millimeter, they will use it against you in a heartbeat. Again, not being an alarmist, but please use your best judgement and extreme caution.

    ^ This, especially the bolded.

    Here is a site you should study carefully... Handgunlaw.us ...there is a lot of good info there. Additionally, although SC and PA do not have formal reciprocity, you are OK in PA...


    18 Pa.C.S. 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

    ...

    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    So... in PA, with your SC permit, you may CC, you may OC (since no permit is required for OC in PA) and you may carry open or concealed, and loaded, in your car.

    My son and his family live in SC, I have looked in to this before.

    As to calling the LEO in each state for information, I would also verify EVERYTHING on my own. If a LEO happens to be clueless as to the laws and gives you bad info you can still get into trouble. Checking with LEO will not save you. Know the laws yourself.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

  7. If New York is your final destination, no method of carry or storage is legal. McClure-Volkmer requires that the firearm be legal where you are coming from and legal where you are going to in order to be considered legal while enroute. The latest info I have from Pa. is that they do not honor SC's CWP, so no concealed carry. You can get a Pa Permit for $26 by stopping at any County Sheriff's office. They used to accept applications by mail but stopped it this year. Bill

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Sorry for probably asking redundant question on gun carry. Will travel by car thru several states that do not, according to CC map, allow any reciprocating CCWP with my SC permit; these states are MD, PA, NJ and NY, including NY City. Am I allowed to have loaded firearm (secure in glove compartment or middle console) as I travel thru or remain in these states? If I should have an imminent possibilty of great bodily injury in those states, what are the very real problems, legal/LEO, if I actually retrieve firearm for protection? Other states including NC, VA and DE seem to be ok. Any comments most welcome. Thank you
    Kelcarry, you're OK traveling through NYS as long as the gun is locked up and unloaded. Don't carry through NYC under any circumstances. They will absolutely arrest you if caught. In orer to transport through NYC one must first get written permission from the comissioner of police.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleup View Post
    If New York is your final destination, no method of carry or storage is legal. McClure-Volkmer requires that the firearm be legal where you are coming from and legal where you are going to in order to be considered legal while enroute. The latest info I have from Pa. is that they do not honor SC's CWP, so no concealed carry. You can get a Pa Permit for $26 by stopping at any County Sheriff's office. They used to accept applications by mail but stopped it this year. Bill
    as mentioned in Post #5, driving thru PA with ANY permit is legal.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Kelcarry, you're OK traveling through NYS as long as the gun is locked up and unloaded. Don't carry through NYC under any circumstances. They will absolutely arrest you if caught. In orer to transport through NYC one must first get written permission from the comissioner of police.
    Special permission to transport THRU? never heard that before.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    223
    Other than PA, you could not have picked any more gun unfriendly states. Add DC and it's all of them.

    Even if you decide to , never never consent to a search of your vehicle.

    never

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    as mentioned in Post #5, driving thru PA with ANY permit is legal.

    Special permission to transport THRU? never heard that before.
    Exactly. NYC is screwed up. Federal law should pre-empt this law but it exists. There was a lengthy post recently about a guy who landed at a NYC airport, intending to transport his gun through the state. He was arrested at the airport. The disposition of his case was an unfair decision against him. I believe he had to cop-out to a charge. To those of us upstate, NYC is another country. As NYS residents, WE are afraid to transport through without permission. We have "gun-grabber" NYC Mayor Michael Bloomburg to thank for this.

    Crazy, but here it is:

    NYS Penal Law S400.00(6)

    6. License: validity. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or ordinance. No license shall be transferable to any other person or premises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city. Such license to carry or possess shall be valid within the city of New York in the absence of a permit issued by the police commissioner of that city, provided that (a) the firearms covered by such license have been purchased from a licensed dealer within the city of New York and are being transported out of said city forthwith and immediately from said dealer by the licensee in a locked container during a continuous and uninterrupted trip; or provided that (b) the firearms covered by such license are being transported by the licensee in a locked container and the trip through the city of New York is continuous and uninterrupted; or provided that (c) the firearms covered by such license are carried by armored car security guards transporting money or other valuables, in, to, or from motor vehicles commonly known as armored cars, during the course of their employment; or provided that (d) the licensee is a retired police officer as police officer is defined pursuant to subdivision thirty-four of section 1.20 of the criminal procedure law or a retired federal law enforcement officer, as defined in section 2.15 of the criminal procedure law, who has been issued a license by an authorized licensing officer as defined in subdivision ten of section 265.00 of this chapter; provided, further, however, that if such license was not issued in the city of New York it must be marked "Retired Police Officer" or "Retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer", as the case may be, and, in the case of a retired officer the license shall be deemed to permit only police or federal law enforcement regulations weapons; or provided that (e) the licensee is a peace officer described in subdivision four of section 2.10 of the criminal procedure law and the license, if issued by other than the city of New York, is marked "New York State Tax Department Peace Officer" and in such case the exemption shall apply only to the firearm issued to such licensee by the department of taxation and finance. A license as gunsmith or dealer in firearms shall not be valid outside the city or county, as the case may be, where issued.

    This law pertain to NYS residents and NY does not provide reciprocity with other states. Nor does it allow for a non-resident permit. Although the law allows the uninterrupted transport, it is routinely disregarded by NYC authorities as the law is vague regarding out-of-state residents. Police don't really know what to do. There have been lots of arrests for just transporting. The same has occurred in NJ repeatedly. I travel to NJ for training and I'm always nervous despite being in compliance with their state law.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast