When you carry do you have a round in the chamber? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When you carry do you have a round in the chamber?

The most reliable safety is the one between your ears

I always carry with a round in the chamber of my Glock 19. While doing armed security, I use a Blackhawk CQC Serpa II with a release which trains your finger to index properly. In EDC mode, I carry off the body in a Maxpedition Versipack, but with a trigger well insert from Lone Wolf products. Before you choose to carry without a round in the chamber, you might want to take a force on force class, or watch videos of those who have, to see how difficult it is to draw, rack the slide, and get your gun into action in a realistic situation. You might be surprised how quickly someone can cover a few feet to get at you (which is, yes, the chief drawback of carrying off the body), or how adrenaline can ruin your fine motor skill functions.
    "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Cor 5:21, ESV)

Always, always, always! Any other way is just plain dangerous. The #1 rule is: "All guns are always loaded." It just makes sense to keep them that way when you carry.

4. I have been a deputy sheriff, a prison officer, a county detention officer and an armed security officer. I currently carry a Springfield Armory XD-45 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, and carry with a round in the chamber. The grip safety, similar to the 1911 .45 ACP and the Glock-like trigger safety are sufficient in the hands of an experienced shooter, and the Serpa holster retention device allow me to draw and engage as with a DA revolver, with the added feature that the retention release puts the trigger finger along the slide when you draw. I am aware that the Israelis train to carry without a round chambered, but I don't like the time it takes to rack the slide. Without a round in the chamber, the pistol is an inefficient club. I was trained that there are no accidental discharges, but negligent discharges, and I practice so there will be no unintended discharges, ever.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

5. I carry with one in chamber,safety off,hammer in half cocked

x + 1 =When you carry do you have a round in the chamber?-celticart.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    x + 1 = When you carry do you have a round in the chamber?-celticart.jpg
    Are you doing algebra? No math, no math!

8. I carry with one in the chamber but only if the pistol has a safety... this is course is just mangy personal preference...

train with ur gun empty and with the holster of choice, practice drawing said wepon and pull the trigger (make sure the chamber is empty, check it a few times) its called dry fire, re rack slide and do again and again, gun should click each time. i carry a M&P 40, never had an issue, my current carry XD-40 subcompact i carry with a round in the chamber, it has a grip safty and a trigger safty (like a glock) but i did carry the M&P chambered in a blackhawk cqc holster with no issues. just practice with the gun empty, it take a lil time to get use to, but u will.

There was a recent attempted carjacking/robbery in a Dayton, Ohio gas station. It was caught on video.

Two druggies attacked a guy while he was trying to get gas. After a brief but violent struggle, he was able to shoot one of his attackers in the stomach twice. The other attacker fled.

By his own admission, if the victim had not had a round chambered, he might well have lost his gun and his life.

If you don't have confidence in carrying with a chambered round, carry a revolver... keeping in mind that if you're negligent enough, you can shoot yourself with ANY firearm as long as there's usable ammunition around.

Blog Entries
    Rule One in a gun fight. Carry a LOADED gun.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast