do you have to carry a double action pistol cocked?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: do you have to carry a double action pistol cocked??

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    817
    I always have been a 'wheel gun' person. A double action revolver, pull the trigger and it goes BANG! If it doesnt pull it again and odds are the next one goes BANG! A round malfunction can stop a semi-auto, which can be a disaster. Whatever your gun is be safe and learn how to use it. You cant beat 'hands on training' from a knowledgeable instructor.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    A glock is not any better than a revolver pull the trigger the weapon will discharge.
    Or worse right?
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edge of freedom
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    I always have been a 'wheel gun' person. A double action revolver, pull the trigger and it goes BANG! If it doesnt pull it again and odds are the next one goes BANG! A round malfunction can stop a semi-auto, which can be a disaster. Whatever your gun is be safe and learn how to use it. You cant beat 'hands on training' from a knowledgeable instructor.
    Pulling the trigger on a wheel gun that does not go bang could result in a hang fire that blows up your gun. With a semi the dud is ejected.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post

    Where in MA? What type of instruction? NRA cert? PM is fine.. Thanks...
    Westborough. Recently NRA certified to teach:

    - Basic Firearm Safety
    - Basic Pistol
    - Personal Protection in the Home
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Usa007 View Post
    guy at local range was argueing that a semi auto pistol double action needs to be cocked and on safety?? is this true that there is a specific way you need to carry your weapon?
    Not only don't you HAVE to, with some of them, you CAN'T.

    Cock the hammer on a Walther PPK/S, Walther P-38, or S&W Model 39 then apply the safety and the hammer will drop without firing the pistol.

    A Beretta 96D can't be manually cocked AT ALL. It's double-action only. You can ONLY pull the trigger double-action, causing it to be retracted and fall, firing the pistol.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    Pulling the trigger on a wheel gun that does not go bang could result in a hang fire that blows up your gun. With a semi the dud is ejected.
    My experience with misfires versus hangfires is something like 20 or more to one.

    I don't recall ever having a hangfire in with a modern commercial cartridge. The last hangfires I recall were with FN .30-06 ball loaded in the '50s that a friend had in college in 1980.

    My club has a double-action revolver league every spring. It's fired double-action ONLY, with slow, timed and rapid stages. There has NEVER been a hangfire, much less damage from one in all of the years that league has been in operation.

    The odds of you getting a factory round with NO powder at all vastly outweigh those of a hangfire.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    100 years of cocked and locked and every gun manfacture copying Brownings design says it all. Peace, Love Colt 45.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    My experience with misfires versus hangfires is something like 20 or more to one.

    I don't recall ever having a hangfire in with a modern commercial cartridge. The last hangfires I recall were with FN .30-06 ball loaded in the '50s that a friend had in college in 1980.

    My club has a double-action revolver league every spring. It's fired double-action ONLY, with slow, timed and rapid stages. There has NEVER been a hangfire, much less damage from one in all of the years that league has been in operation.

    The odds of you getting a factory round with NO powder at all vastly outweigh those of a hangfire.
    In a few thousand rounds of the cheapest 9mm I can buy at gunshows over the past decade, I've never had a hangfire. (Well, unless it was such a long hangfire that I had left the range by the time it went off. ) Duds, yes, hangfires, no. Never even had a dud of 12-gauge standard commercial-bought. But I don't fire as much of that. Maybe only a few hundred over the past decade.

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    Pulling the trigger on a wheel gun that does not go bang could result in a hang fire that blows up your gun. With a semi the dud is ejected.
    In a semi, if the round doesn't fire, the slide doesn't come back to eject the round..and you effectively have a club! I'll take my chances w/ a revolver that it isn't a hang fire if I'm caught shooting to save my life. If I'm at the range, I wait the 30 seconds...

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    I have to agree.. The ratio of misfires to hang-fires is way off the chart... I was at Front Sight in June with 40 some odd people on the line for 4 days. 600-700 rounds per person fired. noted a few misfires, but not one hang-fire... The modern double action revolver is king for reliable function in self defense. lacking capacity and requiring more time for reloading are the downsides..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast