do you have to carry a double action pistol cocked?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do you have to carry a double action pistol cocked??

Quote Originally Posted by coachdb18 View Post
    In a semi, if the round doesn't fire, the slide doesn't come back to eject the round..and you effectively have a club! I'll take my chances w/ a revolver that it isn't a hang fire if I'm caught shooting to save my life. If I'm at the range, I wait the 30 seconds...
    Move, tap, rack & flip to ejector port side, Bang!! All while remaining pointed in. In a gun fight of course...

At the range; cringe, wait, tap, rack & flip to the ejector port side over the "dud bucket"..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    Pulling the trigger on a wheel gun that does not go bang could result in a hang fire that blows up your gun. With a semi the dud is ejected.
    First of all you have a much greater chance of being in a car accident on the way to the range than a hang-fire. Hang-fires are rare but on the range(as everywhere) safety is first. However in the situation of self defense which is what I was refering to the risk of a hang-fire is tiny compared to the threat (man with a knife, tire iron or whatever) that caused you to draw and fire your gun. Haveing been there I can assure you that you keep pulling the trigger till the threat is gone and I guarantee the risk of a hang-fire is something you do not think about at that time. And duds do sometimes jam in a semi-auto. Just because I prefere wheel guns doesnt mean I dont like semi-autos and I have(do)owned some. Like everyone on this site I have my like and dislikes.

Was he referring to how it should be set down when not shooting maybe? Slide racked back and safety on? That would make more sense.

5. I think most hang-fire's seem to come from old or reloaded ammo; bad/old components used in reloading; bad/old powder or primers, or moisture/oil contamination. That sort of thing. That's another reason to use only factory ammo for carry purposes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123