1st time carrying concealed today...
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st time carrying concealed today...

1. 1st time carrying concealed today...

After "practicing" around the house for a month or so, I finally got up the nerve to go out into public armed...

The family and I made a run to a local country fair today and well, thankfully, it was very uneventful. It was a battle of nerves more than anything. I'd be lying if I was not just a little paranoid I was printing...like every 2 minutes.

Does anyone else remember their first time carrying concealed? Were you a little self conscious? Any advice or experience out there for first timers just getting used to the armed lifestyle?

you know, i think i was more nervous about shooting than i was about carrying. i've been carrying for about 2 yrs now and i still get self conscious about printing once in a while. i generally make myself feel better by thinking "if someone sees and doesn't like it... screw em... it's my right. so long as i'm doing what i'm supposed to to try and keep it concealed, who cares what people think." u do get used to it though. now i'd feel as lost if i left the house without it as i would if i forgot my wallet or cell phone.

If you've been carrying at home for a month, you know already whether the gun is uncovered or printing. Relax a little bit. keep your head up and eyes open. Don't drink. Don't show it (the gun) to anyone, and for God's sake don't take it out of the holster for any reason unless you really mean it.

You weren't the only one at that fair that was armed today. There is nothing notable about carrying once you make a habit of it.

Thank you for being another armed good guy. The world is a little but safer when responsible gun owners are about.

-Matt

I remember the same anxiety, but it will pass and soon you will realize that no one is really looking or even realizes it even if you print a little. I like carrying concealed as opposed to open because you just seem like everyone else.

I'm only a few months into carrying myself, and I was definitely thinking, "Everybody's looking at me!" the first several times I carried. This is particularly nerve-racking for me since I am in a public position. However, I now realize that I've actually gone unnoticed to everyone, even my most observant law enforcement friends. Nobody has "made" me yet, not even career firearms trainers. I'm not carrying a pea shooter either. It's a Glock 23. It's not quite like carrying a 1911, but it's not a .380 either. Over these past months I've come to understand what ritz says. I feel weird NOT carrying. It's just natural now.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Get formal training to learn much of what a person doesn't know until they do, and you'll be fine.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Some real good advice above. No drinking, Don't tell ANYONE! (PERIOD); and don't take that thing out unless you are prepared to destroy something.
    Yeah, I remember the first time carrying. Yes, I had some of the same feelings as you. Now it as much a part of me as putting on my shoes or pants. I feel weird when I don't have it. It is tough to go shooting with someone and them not know.

You have to go to Wally World for a "Wally Walk." I guess its a right of passage in the south. (Maybe north too.)

Lastly, +1 for keep training; take further courses; consult your LGS for those who do a good job of secondary training. Prevailing in low light is a good course. Because the vast majority of incidents occur at night. A good class doesn't have to cost an arm and leg. 400 to 800 rounds and $150 to $400 depending on what is being taught. Keep a log of your training / practice activities. Could come in handy at a trial.

Welcome to carrying. Its a ton of responsibility.

Psalm 82:3-5

9. Quote Originally Posted by thevinmanfxst View Post
    After "practicing" around the house for a month or so, I finally got up the nerve to go out into public armed...

The family and I made a run to a local country fair today and well, thankfully, it was very uneventful. It was a battle of nerves more than anything. I'd be lying if I was not just a little paranoid I was printing...like every 2 minutes.

Does anyone else remember their first time carrying concealed? Were you a little self conscious? Any advice or experience out there for first timers just getting used to the armed lifestyle?

The longer you do it, the more comfortable you will become. Just don't get TOO complacent.

10. I recall my first outing caring. I was a bit self conscious. Now days I forget it's there sometimes. Time will pass and you too will feel like you forgot to put on underwear if you are not carrying.

You will get use to it! I remember going out for the first time with my glock 27. No big deal for me, in fact after an hour or so I didn't realize I had it on. Very comfortable with it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast