Why Carrying Concealed is important. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Why Carrying Concealed is important.

  1. After the fact of pulling it out is offensive, I agree. So let me ask this then, what would you consider concealing then? Offensive as well? I could see your point there. Are you suggestion the OC is also being on the offensive side as well?

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
    After the fact of pulling it out is offensive, I agree. So let me ask this then, what would you consider concealing then? Offensive as well? I could see your point there. Are you suggestion the OC is also being on the offensive side as well?
    Concealing a firearm is nothing other than hiding a gun in your pocket. The criminal knows nothing about it, so it has no effect other than sitting there in your pocket causing you to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

    Open Carrying a firearm has an active deterrent effect - the criminal can see it and decide for themselves if the possibility of getting shot at and possibly killed is worth it to attack you.

    Once you draw your firearm from it's holster, whether it was concealed or not, you have now begun to defensively attack the criminal. YES, the "element of surprise" will enhance the effectiveness of this attack, just as the "element of surprise" will enhance the effectiveness of ANY attack.

    Our point is that this is all about playing the odds - the odds are in favor of a visible firearm deterring the attack from begin with and we would rather deter the attack from happening to us to begin with rather then place a bet that our "element of surprise" will defeat the criminal's situational awareness.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Concealing a firearm is nothing other than hiding a gun in your pocket. The criminal knows nothing about it, so it has no effect other than sitting there in your pocket causing you to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

    Open Carrying a firearm has an active deterrent effect - the criminal can see it and decide for themselves if the possibility of getting shot at and possibly killed is worth it to attack you.

    Once you draw your firearm from it's holster, whether it was concealed or not, you have now begun to defensively attack the criminal. YES, the "element of surprise" will enhance the effectiveness of this attack, just as the "element of surprise" will enhance the effectiveness of ANY attack.

    Our point is that this is all about playing the odds - the odds are in favor of a visible firearm deterring the attack from begin with and we would rather deter the attack from happening to us to begin with rather then place a bet that our "element of surprise" will defeat the criminal's situational awareness.
    You are assuming criminals study each possible victim and rationally choose which one to victimize. But in reality, criminals are not that smart and rational. If open carrying deterred crime and scared off criminals, cops would never be killed or attacked.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle:224375
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Concealing a firearm is nothing other than hiding a gun in your pocket. The criminal knows nothing about it, so it has no effect other than sitting there in your pocket causing you to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

    Open Carrying a firearm has an active deterrent effect - the criminal can see it and decide for themselves if the possibility of getting shot at and possibly killed is worth it to attack you.

    Once you draw your firearm from it's holster, whether it was concealed or not, you have now begun to defensively attack the criminal. YES, the "element of surprise" will enhance the effectiveness of this attack, just as the "element of surprise" will enhance the effectiveness of ANY attack.

    Our point is that this is all about playing the odds - the odds are in favor of a visible firearm deterring the attack from begin with and we would rather deter the attack from happening to us to begin with rather then place a bet that our "element of surprise" will defeat the criminal's situational awareness.
    You are assuming criminals study each possible victim and rationally choose which one to victimize. But in reality, criminals are not that smart and rational. If open carrying deterred crime and scared off criminals, cops would never be killed or attacked.
    Cops are not killed because of the OC deterrent. They are killed because they are trying to catch and lock up the criminal. Two completely different scenarios.

  6. #25
    I think you maybe a more of an open target when you open carry. By that I mean someone may want your gun more than you and try to ambush you. Just a thought.

  7. At least desert sees my point as well. That's all I was tying to say. In most cases I prefer hidden just because of my area, how many times do I have to say that. If I was allowed OC Yes having a gun on my hip allows me to increase my chances of survival, whether it is hidden or exposed. I don't know anyone that would disagree with me there.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by rchance View Post
    I think you maybe a more of an open target when you open carry. By that I mean someone may want your gun more than you and try to ambush you. Just a thought.
    Your "thought" has been parroted by many who try to defend the false "surprise" theory.... but it has NEVER been proven.... in other words, there have been no real-world examples of your "what if" thought actually happening, because criminals are lazy, otherwise they would get a real job, right? It is extremely easier to rob a house that has guns in it and no-one home (well, they hope so) than to rob an OPENLY ARMED PERSON.....

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Cops are not killed because of the OC deterrent. They are killed because they are trying to catch and lock up the criminal. Two completely different scenarios.
    Cops are open carries, and you say open carriers deter crime because they present a threat to somebody looking to break the law. Cops present a threat to criminals and yet they get shot at all the time. Not 2 different situations here. If criminals were scared of guns like you think so, they wouldn't attack people with guns but it happens all the time.
    Hate to break it to you.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle:224475
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Cops are not killed because of the OC deterrent. They are killed because they are trying to catch and lock up the criminal. Two completely different scenarios.
    Cops are open carries, and you say open carriers deter crime because they present a threat to somebody looking to break the law. Cops present a threat to criminals and yet they get shot at all the time. Not 2 different situations here. If criminals were scared of guns like you think so, they wouldn't attack people with guns but it happens all the time.
    Hate to break it to you.
    Cops are open carriers, but are not targeted for open carrying. Their duty is to pursue criminals, catch them, and send them to jail. They get resistance not because the criminal ignores the deterrence, but because the criminal doesn't want to get caught. If a cop was sitting in a parking lot of a 711, do you think someone is going to try and rob that store?

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Cops are open carriers, but are not targeted for open carrying. Their duty is to pursue criminals, catch them, and send them to jail. They get resistance not because the criminal ignores the deterrence, but because the criminal doesn't want to get caught. If a cop was sitting in a parking lot of a 711, do you think someone is going to try and rob that store?
    Cops get attacked because they present a threat to criminals, they are willing to stop a crime from taking place, which is exactly what you are arguing is true for you and all other open carriers. You say that open carrying deters crime because open carriers are willing to stop crime from taking place just like police.

    And the job of police is much more than to "pursue criminals, catch them, and put them in jail". If your statement was true, then police would sit in an office waiting for somebody to report crime and then they would attempt to catch the person who did it. But in reality, police patrol the streets to attempt to deter crime. Even though cops patrol 24/7 with loaded guns, they do not deter much of the crime and they are attacked all the time, regardless of their loaded gun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast