when asked why? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: when asked why?

Great question. (no matter how many times it's asked - lol)

Quite honestly, I just stopped initiating the conversation with people. My goal is for as few people as possible to even know that I carry. My closest friends know, and those I know that carry know. That's just so I know I could rely on them in a pinch. But as for the average person I know, they have no idea I carry. I think that's wise, as I'm not able to single-handedly walk them through all the mental steps necessary to understand why I carry. This even includes the bulk of my extended family. They simply don't need to know. Then they don't worry about it, don't argue with me, or tell others that I carry. It's better that way.
    Last edited by JoeWickman; 08-30-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Amen, Joe. I always feel as if, when someone asks me "the question", it is more of an accusation rather than a legit question.

Thus, if I am wise and prefer to be non-confrontational, I can "carry" and NO ONE will be the wiser and I can avoid the accusatory/rhetorical banter with the "antis". (Have better things to do with my time.) So far, I have managed to avoid "detection" in my carry habits. (Only my wife knows and she "carrys" also.)

However, there are those who consider themselves inspired to "teach and educate" the general public about their rights under the second ammendment. Be my guest, if that is your "calling". Maybe you DON'T have "better things to do with your time". I find, as I get older, my patience with ignorance/-ants grows shorter. Thus, I do not try to "preach or teach" any more.

The most recent occasion I have been confronted with a "statement" about arms was a couple of months ago in the "social hour" after a meeting of a Men's Organization I belong to. A friend and I were discussing potentialities of a pistol range when another member of the club, overhearing us, chimed in with; "Oh. I'm a pro lifer and don't like anything to do with guns!" (If you logically examine that statement.... you will see that it contains none.) I, being ever quick with the comeback (often facitious or sarcastic.... honed by years of "trading insults" with fellow Marines) replied with; "So am I. Except it is MY life we are talking about saving here."

Said "butt-in-ski" left in a huff.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Great point. Lets make another thread just like the other threads. Why not just discuss the same things over and over again and act like it's new. I love running in circles.
    My advice: apply for a job as a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    It seems like the majority of people who don't carry guns don't see the reason behind carrying a gun and I'm starting to feel like a broken record trying to explain! I'm curious as to what other peoples reasons are. I for one may be borderline crazy but I don't trust a stranger as far as I can throw them and frankly I feel its better to expect the worst and be prepared then walk through life seeing rainbows and bunnies! Let's face it there are A LOT of sick people out there and after watching marathon after marathon of the first 48 I knew it was time to start packin :)

Another question is what if I end up getting arrested for using a pistol in a crime, which to me seems like a pretty stupid question. If I ever come into that unfortunate situation where I need to discharge my firearm then my life or that of my families was in danger and no amount of jail time would ever make me regret my decision
    Don't engage in the conversation at all. I won't even discuss the topic with anyone.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I have never been asked that question because most people don't know I carry! If I'm asked I would probably say "for protection, and I have the rights to do so"

7. Seems like a few of the responses were "people don't know I carry", while I don't run around handing out business cards saying I pack a gun, firearms are definitely up there on my list of things to talk about with friends/family.

8. Thumbs up

Amen, among my favorite conversation subjects IS guns. And in discussions on both concealed carry and open carry I know I have changed minds. Keeping quiet about my thoughts would be like keeping my political convictions a secret and not voting. It does no good to be a believer and not try to advance the cause. One day they will outvote you if you keep your mouth shut.

Only to observe that over the past couple of decades, the anti-gun lobby, primarily fueled by the Kennedy assassinations, has lost ground to popular opinion and subsequent legislation in a number of States. (Much to the chagrin of the Lib/anti gun pansies.)

Thus, my only immediate concern is to insure that Obama (a notorious anti-gunner) does not circumvent our rights with an end around to bypass Congress in the matter. He IS known to play loose and freely with provisions of the Constitution and written Law at times.......

Other than that, I don't think I am going to live long enough to see a complete populist reversal from our current pro-gun trend in the US. I leave that to Generations "X" and "Y" to worry about.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Most of people I've seen who see no reason to carry a defensive firearm (other than anti-gun fanatics and unilateral pacifists) have bought into the fantasy that the police are there to "protect" you as an individual. I just tell them:

1. Police have no legal duty to protect you as an individual.
    2. Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect you as an individual.
    3. Police have virtually no physical ability to protect you as an individual.

If you're not ready and willing to protect YOURSELF, you're just not going to get protected AT ALL. Anybody who tells you different is ignorant or a liar.

Man some folks get upset if someone ask's a question that has been asked before...If you do not like the question then ignore it.. Why slam a person for asking?
    Come on folks show some flexibility...Not everyone lives on the web.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123