How to handle a traffic stop while carrying concealed - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to handle a traffic stop while carrying concealed

According to a current Ohio SWAT trainer and department firearms trainer for the last 15 years, know the law, follow it to the letter, and be polite and compliant no matter what. The officer, as the equipped professional with training, a radio dispatcher with State databases and records, and years of experience is supposed to treat every stop as a unique experience and approach the car as if everyone in the car is going to kill him until he knows differently - his safety is HIS responsibility. The officer controls the situation but should know the law or is only a radio call away from a Sergeant or lieutenant who knows the answer if he doesn't. A professional officer and a polite civilian will always make a stop as pleasant as possible and over soon.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Night shift convenience store clerks have one of the most dangerous jobs in America. Can you imagine "Before buying these cigarettes, let me inform you..." HAHAHAHA!

I recently attended a "Civilian Firearms Training" class that was presented by our local Sheriff's Office (an OUTSTANDING team of folks btw..) and this question was asked.

The response... "If the reason that I pulled you over has nothing to do with your firearm, then why do we need to make this situation more complicated" In other words - if you were stopped for speeding, why is there a need to discuss the gun ? Thankfully, Georgia is NOT a "Duty to Inform" state.

As NavyLCDR pointed out - the officer is no safer if I inform him of the presence of my firearm - in fact he may be substantially LESS safe if he is not familiar with the operation of my specific firearm. If I had no intention of using the gun against the officer, then he is no safer knowing that I have it... if I did have any ill intent - then it's probably a foregone conclusion that I would NOT be notifying him of it's existence prior to it's use.

I DO however agree with the intial premise of window open (at least partly) and hands in plain sight -
    btw - my wallet is on the left - OPPOSITE my gun...

$0.02 deposited.....
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

5. Quote Originally Posted by tgbtg1970 View Post
    [snip]

I forfeited my guns to the officer and we proceeded with the traffic stop.

[snip]
    Excellent reason to keep your mouth shut, IMO.

Outside a moronic "duty to inform" law, it's none of the cops damn business what tools I have in my vehicle.

Having said that, if I'm ever asked to "step out of he vehicle" - which I never have - then I would simply hand my CCW permit to them and ask them how do they want to proceed.

Otherwise, I'm keeping my mouth shut, answering only the questions asked in the fewest words possible. If he's pulled me over on a traffic stop, he ain't my buddy and we're certainly not having a good ole boy conversation.

I believe that unless your state say's that you should inform them then you should keep your mouth shut.I do, and I would expect anyone else to also even as a retired L.E.O.

I would like to know where the stat is that show's the calibre of the weapon's used by garbage cans to shoot Garbage Collectors. I can't find any stat's about how many Garbage Collectors were wounded in the line of duty while protecting and serving the public.
    Bill

7. The whole thing is silly to me hey I have a gun Ill give it to you so you can have a false sense of security then Ill stab you or better yet Ill shoot you with it when you give it back silly silly sily I'm glad everything worked for you now you know what works when your stopped by that particular ofc the next one could be different though my rule is never tell on yourself unless your in a God forsaken place like Oh

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Also, police officer is the tenth most dangerous job in America. Garbage collectors die more often on the job than cops do. Does that mean if I see my garbage man I should tell him I have a gun? After all he just wants to go home safe to his family at night, right?
    I see you quote this statistic a lot and I'm curious about where you get this information. do these garbage men die because of their OWN actions or because of the actions of another person. I don't see garbage men coming into contact with a lot of the population on a daily basis.

Not being sarcastic, but I just find it hard to believe and would like to know the source of the statistic.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    I see you quote this statistic a lot and I'm curious about where you get this information. do these garbage men die because of their OWN actions or because of the actions of another person. I don't see garbage men coming into contact with a lot of the population on a daily basis.

Not being sarcastic, but I just find it hard to believe and would like to know the source of the statistic.
    http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0009.pdf

Look at the last chart, page 19.

Notice the chart on page 11 shows you that homicides are included.

A garbage collector has a 166% more chance of dying on the job than a cop does.

And if you don't think garbage collectors serve the public, try living without them!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

10. Here's another on for you:
    http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/archive/spring2000art1.pdf

Look at table 2 on the last page. A taxi driver is 4 times more likely to be killed by homicide on the job than a police officer is. So... should you notifiy a taxi driver of your gun and show them your license/permit if you take a taxi anywhere?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by unclewayne17 View Post
    She told me next time to tell them even if I wasn't carrying.
    That command has no more effect than if she'd ordered you to take her uniforms to the laundry or shampoo her carpets. If the law doesn't require you to inform when not armed, you don't have to do it, no matter what she might WANT.

And don't buy into the bogus "safety" argument. You telling her that you're armed won't stop you from shooting her, nor will you not telling her cause you to shoot her. Notification simply engenders a false and foolish sense of security. Police should assume that ANYONE could be armed and mean them harm. Any cop who doesn't is too stupid for the job.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast