How to handle a traffic stop while carrying concealed - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to handle a traffic stop while carrying concealed

1. Quote Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
    Navy, why wouldn't a LEO not deserve to know that your carrying? Aren't their jobs stressful enough when they walk up to the drivers window on a routine traffic stop?
    Just curious, how many people here feel the equal need to show their CPL and tell the officer they DON'T have a gun (assuming you aren't carrying, of course.)?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

NOT ME. It is none of their business.

4. In NC, we have to inform if we have a weapon. Not sure about the law if no weapon but I'm sure each HP, local policeman and sheriff will give you a different opinion/version of the law. As an example, the city in which I live has one of the largest sheriff's departments in the entire state even though we have a multitude of local police and this isn't Raleigh or Charlotte which are the most populous cities/counties. I have ask the local police and gotten a different answer each time the question was asked.

Look at the target "audience", if you will, of each profession. Taxi drivers come into contact with people from every level of society. So do LEOs. However, LEOs are more frequently interacting with the scum of society, lawbreakers, and the like. Their job is to enforce the laws and arrest the ones who break them. Taxi drivers just take you from point A to point B.

Now unless you are upset at the way the taxi driver does his or her job, you probably won't have much confrontation with them. LEO, by the very definition of their jobs, are in a confrontational situation every shift. It is stressful. I know because I've been there. You have to treat EVERY contact with the public as if it could go wrong every moment. Thats not to say you don't act in a respectful manner, but your guard HAS to remain on high alert if you want to live through your shift.

Comparing LEO to garbage men or taxi drivers really isn't a valid comparison. They have 2 totally different types of occupations. That would be like comparing astronauts to pro football players.

Overall, I agree with NavyLCDR. If you don't have a duty to inform that is mandated by state law, and the situation doesn't warrant it, then keep that info to yourself.

In my opinion, people who inform when they don't need to either have deep guilt about carrying, or are subconciously trying to impress and/or bond with the LEO. ("Look, I carry a gun, just like you!") Of course, I'm not a psycologist, I just play one on TV.

I was leaving work and heading for the tag office as my tag ran out the day before. I got pulled by a Hickory city police officer. At the time I had applied for my Concealed carry permit, but I had not received it so it didn't cross my mind to inform the officer. He took my drivers license ran it, came back and said "Isn't there something you are suppose to tell me?" Well, I immediately knew what he was referring to and I replied that I had applied for the permit, but it had not been issued to me yet. He was OK with that answer and give me my license and let me go.

In NC if you have a concealed carry permit your drivers license check will let the officer know it. So you should tell the law enforcement officer that you have a permit even if you are not armed.

I live in Michigan and and we were informed in CCW class that if an LEO was to pull you over the first thing you do is tell them if you are carrying. They can get you for "failure to inform " Which could lead to you loosing your CCW permit.

I wouldn't want to chance it. If I'm carrying and I'm stopped I will inform the officer. The last thing I need is trouble from police! !

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLM View Post
    I wouldn't want to chance it. If I'm carrying and I'm stopped I will inform the officer. The last thing I need is trouble from police! !
    Then you'd better keep your mouth shut unless you are lrgally required to inform.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by TooCalm View Post
    In NC if you have a concealed carry permit your drivers license check will let the officer know it. So you should tell the law enforcement officer that you have a permit even if you are not armed.
    Your CCW is also linked to your license plate. And if you look, you will also note that your CCW permit number is the same as your DL number.

You are required to advise the officer if you are carrying, but you are not required to advise that you are a permit holder, if you are not carrying. But since the officer will already know you are a permit holder, it just seems prudent to disclose that up front. I carry my CCW next to my DL, and hand both to the officer together, and advise whether I am or am not armed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234