.45 Defender....new question

Thread: .45 Defender....new question

1. .45 Defender....new question

I searched for info on this gun, but I was wondering if anyone who owns one of these if they have any negatives to tell me.

People have said they jam allot.

Also, is there any kind of modding or custom work that can be done to make it operate better? Ramp work, different springs, machining, etc...

I carry a full size Colt .45 and its just too big.

Thanks.

I would try M1911 Pistols Organization. Not that I don't think someone can't answer your question, but there is a company rep on this site.
    The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Psalm 82:3-5

I'll second that motion. I frequent a couple of 1911 forums. The consensus there is that the Defender is the most reliable of the 3" 1911s. Before it came on the scene, the short 1911s had earned a bad reputation for malfunctioning. Colt has apparently gotten it right. BTW, I have shot and carried one for a year or two with no problems at all. Before that I carried a Colt Compact (3.5" barrel) that I bought used. It is a bit more temperamental.

I have the colt new agent 45 and never had an issue with it.

Get yourself a Glock instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 45fella View Post
    Also, is there any kind of modding or custom work that can be done to make it operate better? Ramp work, different springs, machining, etc...
    No need for any of that.

Yep. Good gun. Very reliable and nice shooter. Price is very reasonable compared to the Springfields, Kimbers and such.

Keep them clean and well lubed and you won't have a problem. Ignore this and you will not be happy with gun (hence the 'they jam alot' comments from various posters). Like any other gun, you will need to clean it, lube it, and shoot it several times in the beginning (150-400 rnds). Some guns shoot great out of the box, but others take a while to break in.

Be aware that you sacrifice some accuracy with the shorter barrel guns compared to the longer barreled models like with any other gun. Mine is very accurate out to 20 yds after which I have to slow down and work more with my shot placement.