Best answer when asked why I carry?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best answer when asked why I carry?

Best answer when asked why I carry?

Ok so here's what I always say to the people who ask me why I carry. It's simple and straight forward feel free to use this response. This works for CCW or open carry. The scenerio starts with me at the mini golf course OC because it was more comfortable when a woman and her son come up behind me. To add insult to injury the mother told the son to move behind her, I asked why she made that action, and she responded it was because of the gun, the conversation then went like this:

Woman: "why do you carry a gun?"

Me: "can I answer the question with a question?"

Woman: "sure I guess that's ok."

Me: "If wearing a seatbelt wasn't a law would you still where one?"

Woman: "Yes I would"

Me: "why?"

Woman: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Me: "You just answered why I carry"

Woman: "Really what's the reason?"

Me: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Also you can ask if they have a fire extinguisher this works also.

I like that.

I always say, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. But I pray every day I never need it."

I also build on that sometimes with, "I think it would be easier to live with the knowledge that I was justified in shooting someone rather than to live the rest if my life wondering 'what if?'"

Because a cop is too heavy to carry around all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by xdmowner615 View Post
    Ok so here's what I always say to the people who ask me why I carry. It's simple and straight forward feel free to use this response. This works for CCW or open carry. The scenerio starts with me at the mini golf course OC because it was more comfortable when a woman and her son come up behind me. To add insult to injury the mother told the son to move behind her, I asked why she made that action, and she responded it was because of the gun, the conversation then went like this:

Woman: "why do you carry a gun?"

Me: "can I answer the question with a question?"

Woman: "sure I guess that's ok."

Me: "If wearing a seatbelt wasn't a law would you still where one?"

Woman: "Yes I would"

Me: "why?"

Woman: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Me: "You just answered why I carry"

Woman: "Really what's the reason?"

Me: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Also you can ask if they have a fire extinguisher this works also.
    Makes sense to me!!!
    I will look towards the hills from whense cometh my help. All my help cometh from the Lord.

I have a CWP because "NYC" happens..And because "LEAD" makes a GREAT bodyguard!

7. Because I had a shotgun stuck into my side and robbed when I was 16.

8. Why I Don't Carry.

"Why I Don't Carry" is a post I saw, and liked. I will paste a copy of it here when I get home. It started " I don't carry, because its cool.
    I liked it because it is a fresh way to say why you DO carry.

Mike

The Socratic method is great for questions like these. I often use the "fire extinguisher" version, emphasizing the fact that I never, ever want to *have* to use either

10. Because "I never thought it would happen to me" is something every victim says.

Because, as a Boy Scout we were taught to be prepared.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast