Sheepdog attitude...pros vs. cons - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheepdog attitude...pros vs. cons

My son downplays his role but show up for duty every day rain or shine. My other son answers calls all hours of the day or night and has dealt with structure fires and vehicle accidents in ways most of you will ever know.

God Bless you Festus

I am really liking the responses here. Thank you all. Yes, it appears I did crack the can open on a discussion that has obviously taken place many times long before my arrival. (35th post...LMAO) I do see the distinction. Fetus, you make excellent sense. My thoughts are 99% in line with yours. The CCW does not elevate your level of authority, period. But it 100% should elevate your level of awareness and prompt you to a different hierarchy of decision-making when circumstances begin to sour. So granted, "sheepdog" is an inadequate analogy for that heightened level of awareness, with the dangerous spin that some will put on it. Again, its the attitude vs. Responsibility distinction. Great discussion!

I think of a Sheepdog as one who would love to be able to use his CCW card in a real situation making
    him/her a hero. A wanna-be type. The kind of guy that scares the hell out of me when I'm around him while he's showing everyone his piece, playing with it in a group of people and bragging about it. Those types can be
    more dangerous than the bad guys sometimes.

The CCW does not elevate your level of authority, period. But it 100% should elevate your level of awareness and prompt you to a different hierarchy of decision-making when circumstances begin to sour.
    I disagree, it should not have to prompt you to a new level as you should already be at that level. I agree tha if you have a CCW you should be very aware etc. but you actually should already be at that level and not have to have a CCW to get your there.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I knew I could rely on you. Old Faithful in a way.
    I couldn't resist the opportunity to make fun of sheepdogs and CCW Badges.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    I think of a Sheepdog as one who would love to be able to use his CCW card in a real situation making
    him/her a hero. A wanna-be type. The kind of guy that scares the hell out of me when I'm around him while he's showing everyone his piece, playing with it in a group of people and bragging about it. Those types can be
    more dangerous than the bad guys sometimes.
    There's another term for that as well, Internet Rambos.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I couldn't resist the opportunity to make fun of sheepdogs and CCW Badges.
    Right with you, brother. The light side of what I feel is a clear and distinct case of "overzealousness". FANATICS of ANY sort are dangerous! Got enough on my plate trying to spot BGs without having to worry about my fellow "gunslingers" too.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I can think of only ONE instance where I might assume the mantle of "sheepdog". In the case of total breakdown of civil authority and the rule of law. (The predators LOVE those sort of situations. See post hurricane "looters", for instance.)

I believe myself and my equally as community/civilization oriented wife would trot ourselves down to the Mayor's office and would insist on helping the local LEO "establishment" in whatever capacity necessary to preserve the civility and rule of law of the (MY) community.

Even at that, I would have to think about it a bit. I'm getting WAY to old to indulge in "combat commando" stuff. But "duty calls" when duty is calling. I swore a long time ago to defend our Nation and the Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic. As long as the Constitution reigns as the basis of our Law, I feel bound by that oath.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I see your point, FN1910, but have a follow up question. At some point in life, some people step out of the day to day, blurred, oblivious view of the world where all the bad stuff happens to other people, and they wake up. Not necessarily as a result of having violent crime enter their life, although all too often that is the turning point, but somehow, they realize that life isnt all pixie dust and magic bunnies, and the bad people DO know how to get to the good neighborhoods. And as a result, they become aware, enlightened if you will. Enough so that they make significant life adjustments. For some it involves installing security systems in their homes, others choose to learn some form of self defense. There are many possible choices. Bottom line, they have decided to no longer be...sheep! So here's my question...

If its not acceptable to call these awakened citizens sheepdogs, due to the other connotations of that term, then what (in this forum) is the proper term for such a person?

Maybe the term that you used of "awakend citizens" or "elightened citizens" or possibly just "the elightened". I follow your thought that people walk around daily thinking that nothing will happen to them or that the police will protect them and all of a sudden one day they wake up and realize the facts. Does the mere fact that they have gone to the trouble of getting a CCW or even just buying a gun cause them to wake up or did the fact that they woke up created then need for the CCW or gun? My point is that people should be aware of their surroundings and the evil out there along with the fact that we need to protect ourselves no matter what. Just purchasing a gun, carrying it with you and getting a CCW does not magically turn anyone into an elightened citizen or sheepdog. How many times have you heard the term, "I am going to get a gun for protection". I usually ask, "Are you going to make a suit of armor out of it"?

Too many people are running around with the false idea that a gun has some magical properties that all of a sudden gives them rights and responsibilities that without a gun they don't have. This is absolutely false. The term "Sheepdog" has become synonomous with just carrying a gun in too many places and for too many people. The passengers on Flight 93 took it upon themselves to be sheepdogs with no weapons of any kind. You read about people all the time that assume the role of sheepdog without any weapon, such as the janitor at a school that tackled the kid with a gun stopping his from shooting up the school.

I suppose that my point is that there is too much talk on this and other "gun" boards about the magic abilities of guns and all the talk about, "If only I had my gun" or "If only I had been there with my gun". What would they have done if they had been there without a gun? A gun does not suddenly transform someone into a sheepdog and we need to get over that. One does not need a gun to be a sheepdog and we need to top equating guns with sheepdogs. A baseball bat or a frying pan can be a very good weapon in time of need. If one claims that they need a gun to defend themselves or others and will run instead of help just because they do not have a gun then they are the sheep. A gun is just another tool in the arsenal of self-defense and has no magical properties to turn Internet Rambos or Mall Ninjas into sheepdogs. Being a sheepdog is a mindset that comes from the head and heart and if you need a gun to turn you into one then you will never be one but just another "goof with a gun".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast