Sheepdog attitude...pros vs. cons
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheepdog attitude...pros vs. cons

Sheepdog attitude...pros vs. cons

I'm new here, so please forgive me if this topic has been talked to death already...

I've seen a few comments since I've been on board here that seem to put down the sheepdog mentality as somehow over-zealous, over-tough, or dangerous. I'm not sure I understand where this come from. I have 16 years of LEO experience, and have carried off duty for quite a while now. To me, the sheepdog mentality equates to "condition yellow," aware, alert, looking for trouble so you and your family might AVOID it, not plunge headlong into it. Stay ahead of the criminal mentality, and you stand your best chance of not becoming a victim. But nonetheless, there seem to be some here who equate the sheepdog with the would-be John Wayne, supercop without a badge. So my question, though maybe poorly explained, is this:

What is the real definition of the sheepdog mentality here? And once we decide that, is it better to have that attitude than to remain armed sheep?

Unfortunately I can't get into details on a public forum, but let me say this: there was a time I would have agreed with you. And I still think there are people who are mature and responsible enough to assume this role. But at one point in my life I saw someone who took "sheepdog" very seriously who was nowhere near competent enough to take on this role, but was unfortunately in a position of great influence. The problem isn't the reasonable, common-sense guys, it's the wanna be's and mall ninjas who are looking for opportunities to jump into a fire fight. The worst part is, they readily and enthusiastically preach this doctrine to anyone who will listen. And it really makes me wish someone had never, ever mentioned the word "sheepdog" to these people in the sum of their lives.

I believe the usacarry definition of sheepdog would have to be someone who is out there to protect (offensively) the sheep. The mentality here, for the most post, is mind your own business. If it doesn't affect you stay out of it, if it does affect you get down to business.

Does this equate to situations that only involve guns?

I have the mentality of a sheepdog when it comes to situations that do not involve guns (risk/benefit, BSI, scene safety, etc etc risk a lot to save a lot, risk a little to save a little), and the mentality of usacarry that do involve guns.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/17273-my-first-day-concealed-carrying.html (more of a joke)

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/18773-can-we-pa-leez-put-sheep-dog-myth-rest.html ( more serious)

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    But nonetheless, there seem to be some here who equate the sheepdog with the would-be John Wayne, supercop without a badge. So my question, though maybe poorly explained, is this:

What is the real definition of the sheepdog mentality here? And once we decide that, is it better to have that attitude than to remain armed sheep?
    Actually no, you can tell a sheepdog by the CCW Badges they wear.

7. When I think of a sheepdog I think of being herded into a group, sometimes by force.
    I can understand this role when it comes to LEOs or military in certain situations. But if a "regular citizen" tries to herd me he will likely get bit by a sheep that has teeth and claws.
    I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. For legal advice ask a lawyer.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Those who accept second best must learn to live with mediocrity. - pafindr

8. See my comment just posted in the thread: Which is better? Protect yourself/family or remove criminal from face of earth?

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conce...ace-earth.html

I think it applies equally here.

You just take care of being your family's "sheepdog," and I'll take care of being mine.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    You just take care of being your family's "sheepdog," and I'll take care of being mine.

Point taken.

Ok, here's a good example of my point. Some obviously view sheepdogs as marking fenceposts that are not their own, establishing themselves as the self-proclaimed volunteer protectors of society. Mall ninja...I totally get that phrase now. In which case I would agree, you protect your family, and ill protect mine. But now we have drawn a clear distinction between a "mindset" and a "responsibility." Unless you're an off duty cop, your responsibility extends to yourself and your loved ones. Your mindset however should always be one big giant step above the average, oblivious person (e.g., "sheep"). Some may call themselves sheep with claws, but let's just call them what they really are: nothing more than armed victims.

Oh boy, did you open the proverbial can of worms or what? You will get some very very lifely responses. I will also predict that before long the badge bashers will start their usual diatribe about CCW badges, capes and underpants.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast