H.R. 822 being heard tomorrow 8/13/11
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H.R. 822 being heard tomorrow 8/13/11

H.R. 822 being heard tomorrow 8/13/11

Cross your fingers, here its comes. The battle for national CCW reciprocity begins tomorrow 9/13/11. What do you think?

A. Long hard battle for no good outcome!
    B. We have a chance!
    C. Better luck next year!

I'm gonna have to go with "A" or "C". Even if it passes the House, which it very well may do, it will be DOA in the Senate. Scummy Harry Reid is never gonna even let it get to the floor. If conservatives can win enough seats in the Senate and keep, or gain more, control in the House, it might have a shot under a new Republican administration and Congress.

Harry Reid is not one of my favorite people. Do you think the bill could be snuck into the (whenever it happens) budget agreement?

5. This is another example of why "majority rule" is bad. Carrying a gun is not bad so no government has a moral right to prevent it. Folks that worship at the altar of "Democracy" simply accept the fact that a democratically-elected government can/will do whatever it wants and we're just doomed to suffer through it until next term. Just withdraw your consent and maybe they'll go away (it's as likely to work as voting in someone else, I'm just sayin').

A.

A pipe dream. A nice one, but a pipe dream none the less.

When it comes to firearms, state's rights will win out. This isn't like recognizing another state's drivers license, which are considered necessary and vital to commerce, etc. Unfortunately states like Illinois, New Jersey, California, and Hawaii aren't just going to chuck their gun laws, and I believe that the Supreme Court will back them on this one.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

OK, so we're really wanting the FED's to "Nationalize a Permitting Process"? Can anyone point out just one program the FED's do correctly without error or prejudice? Would this be the first step into a National Registration of Firearms? Just a few questions to ponder. Tell me again about the 10 Amendment of the US Constitution. Or are we going to again step all over States Rights to facilitate a National Agenda of Gun Control. Jus sayn'
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Unfortunately, it is now a battle between 2A and 10A. Which one will win out? The bigger issue is that the framers of our Constitution designed them so that they never would be in conflict. The states have taken it upon themselves to go above the 2A, and place state-specific limitations upon gun ownership. And even within states, carry rights vary wildly from county to county. In Cal-LEFT-fornia, moving from one county to another is like changing nationality!

Now, I am a staunch supporter of both the 2A and the 10A, but in this case I believe the states need to be corrected. Bring it back ok line with the constitution across the board. Is it a pipe dream? Maybe. But HR 218 did go through, granting peace officers reciprocity in all 50 states. Why shouldn't properly permitted civilians be extended the same courtesy?

So maybe there is hope, but I guard my hope well out of fear that this may be a staging ground for more oppressive blanket legislation from the federal level. Go ahead, call me a conspiracy theorist. You won't be the first, or the last. :-)

Here is info on the bill, plus links to other articles about it.

H.R.822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

10. Humor me here for a minute let's say it passes. What does that mean for me I live in New Jersey but, have a Florida CCW will that allow me to carry in New Jersey?

If you read the bill, it only allows for reciprocity between states that actually issue permits. Apparently a "shall not" issue state like Illinois would be exempt since they don't issue a permit under any circumstances. If such a bill were to pass, it seems to me that states like California, NJ, and other "may issue" states would almost be forced to eliminate permits all together so as to prevent residents from other states CCing while there. It could backfire and result in "may issue" states becoming "shall not" issue states.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast