House considers bill for for all states to recognize your home state permit - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: House considers bill for for all states to recognize your home state permit

May only carry in one's home state with a home state permit.
    Are you saying that one must have a home state permit to carry in your home state? Right now a lot of people rely on non-resident permits in their home states. Would this law change that? For instance must a NT resident have a NY permit to carry in NY? How will this affect carry in the city of NY or DC?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Are you saying that one must have a home state permit to carry in your home state? Right now a lot of people rely on non-resident permits in their home states. Would this law change that? For instance must a NT resident have a NY permit to carry in NY? How will this affect carry in the city of NY or DC?
    Exactly.

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

Things will not change for residents of NY, NJ, CA, DC right away. Hopefully once non-residents are carrying within their precious boundaries those Govts would be forced to change their ways.

When I first read the bill I had the same impression as you have but then I started to look closer and started getting confused:

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Exactly.

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce,in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--
    I snipped a little to make it easier reading. I am not arguing with you at all but it looks like some could deduce that it only applies to guns that have been involved in interstate commerce rather than the permit being a resident permit. Wording like this is what screws up so many people with laws. You can't really tell what the law means.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    When I first read the bill I had the same impression as you have but then I started to look closer and started getting confused:

I snipped a little to make it easier reading. I am not arguing with you at all but it looks like some could deduce that it only applies to guns that have been involved in interstate commerce rather than the permit being a resident permit. Wording like this is what screws up so many people with laws. You can't really tell what the law means.
    All guns except those manufactured in the state you are in have traveled through interstate commerce. There are few handguns that have not traveled through interstate commerce. The wording is because a state or two (I'm thinking Wyoming and Montana) have said the Fed's can't regulate any gun that has not gone through interstate commerce.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Seeing all the legal twists and turns this thread has taken (Can you even begin to imagine how many additional quirks that could be thought up by our "honored" legal professionals?).... I think, all in all, that I would rather the Fed keep their all-encompassing, perversion prone, rights trampeling schnoz out of it.

Better the devil we know than one we do not.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Tried reading thru all of this and now my head is spinning. It it would include doing away with non res permits then I'd be screwed. I can't get a NC permit cause I am not a citizen. NC wants that. I am only a perfectly legal resident alien (now, don't think of the movie "ALIEN" in this context, I do not have acid for blood and I can not make my mouth snap out of my face).

8. I dropped NRA long ago. They pull crap like everyone else and I got sick of it. They sent me a bill, said they were going to collect and I did'nt owe them anything because I wasn't a member. As for the Feds. They have been 6 years denying my VA Disability App. Last denial was because I sent 7 pieces of paper, stapled together and did'nt sign one. Between them and PTL (Pass The Loot) churches I think we might be getting ripped

Not sure, however I live in Oregon and occasionally go to Calif. It would be nice to be able to carry concealed in that state. Would not be able to legally carry any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Tried reading thru all of this and now my head is spinning. It it would include doing away with non res permits then I'd be screwed. I can't get a NC permit cause I am not a citizen. NC wants that. I am only a perfectly legal resident alien (now, don't think of the movie "ALIEN" in this context, I do not have acid for blood and I can not make my mouth snap out of my face).
    It doesn't do away with NR permits. A state could decide that they will no longer issue NR permits...but I can't see them giving up that revenue source.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Seeing all the legal twists and turns this thread has taken (Can you even begin to imagine how many additional quirks that could be thought up by our "honored" legal professionals?).... I think, all in all, that I would rather the Fed keep their all-encompassing, perversion prone, rights trampeling schnoz out of it.

Better the devil we know than one we do not.

GG
    As I have said many times, "Be careful what you wish for because you just may get it". This bill sounds good when you hear someone tell you about it but if you read it carefully you can start to see what it can do. would like to have full reciprocity in all 50 states or better yet no permit needed at all. As for those who say "The Constitution is My Permit", I wish you well in convincing a judge of that.

Like most bills presented to Congress they have a good cause in mind but wind up trying to compromise so much in order to get passed they get screwed up and in turn the citizens get screwed.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast