House considers bill for for all states to recognize your home state permit - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: House considers bill for for all states to recognize your home state permit

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    No, I am still waiting for your plan to get back our Second Amendment Rights. I really would like to see it. I am not being antagonistic, I am open minded. I just hate to see groups who claim to be working for our Second Amendment rights fighting each other. What if we all got together and did not fight over stupid turf ideas and really tried to do something. I think only good things would happen, but I doubt that the groups will overcome the turf wars.

JMHO
    I ALREADY gave it to you, but you hid your head in the sand and cried "it wont work"...... Too bad, it would have been nice if you would have helped fight for our actual rights instead of compromising every chance you could....

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    OK

Friday, April 16, 2010

Today, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (R) signed an important NRA-backed bill into law, which removes the licensure requirement for law-abiding citizens who choose to carry a concealed firearm in the state of Arizona. Senate Bill 1108 passed the state House on April 8, by a vote of 36-19 with five absent votes and the state Senate by a vote of 20-10 in late March.

“This is a major victory for gun owners in Arizona, and I would like to thank Governor Jan Brewer, as well as the primary bill sponsor, Senator Russell Pearce (R-Mesa), for their leadership in working to improve the self-defense rights of law-abiding citizens in Arizona," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA. “Both Governor Brewer and state Senator Pearce have been strong supporters of the NRA. The NRA is also grateful to the legislators who voted for this measure making Arizona the third state in the nation behind Vermont and Alaska to offer its residents a constitutional carry option."

SB 1108 replaces Arizona’s former law, which required anyone who wished to defend themselves outside their home to possess a state-issued concealed carry permit. In Arizona’s constitution, Article 2, Section 26 states "the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired…" The intention of this language could not be clearer.

Arizona residents will still be required to obtain a permit to carry concealed firearms across state lines in those states that have reciprocity agreements with Arizona.

"SB 1108 will enhance the rights of law-abiding Arizonans," concluded Cox.

The effective date for this bill has yet to be determined.
    AWESOME!!!!! One out of a thousand or so in the last few years, bravo, they got ONE right!!!!! Let me see..... one out of a few thousand...... not a very good percentage in my calculations, but the odds were something like this would slip by them and get passed....

rabbit, It has NOTHING to do with turf wars, it has EVERYTHING to do with compromising..... because that is exactly how we got to where we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    rabbit, It has NOTHING to do with turf wars, it has EVERYTHING to do with compromising..... because that is exactly how we got to where we are now.
    What other than open armed rebellion do you seriously believe would wipe out all infringements altogether? And that's something not all of us (not me for sure) are willing to do. I mean, seriously, how do you want to go about restoring those rights? You keep saying compromise is BAD and I can relate to your point of view but how do you go about it?

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    What other than open armed rebellion do you seriously believe would wipe out all infringements altogether? And that's something not all of us (not me for sure) are willing to do. I mean, seriously, how do you want to go about restoring those rights? You keep saying compromise is BAD and I can relate to your point of view but how do you go about it?
    Never said I had the answer, just that I know what the problem is : compromising..... "Armed rebellion" is not what it should be called... It would be taking back the "rule of law"... Rebellion speaks of breaking the law (to me anyway) what needs done would actually be enforcing the only true law, and taking those that have "rebelled" against the Constitution out of power..... and then removing the infringements.

Do I think it can be done? Actually, no, not anymore... not enough true patriots left to make much difference in my opinion, even though I consider myself one of the 3%.......

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olsparky View Post
    I think at this point it is a hollow gesture to gear up for the 2012 elections. There is bipartisan support, maybe even enough to pass, but not even close to veto override support. There is no way that Obama signs this bill, and without enough support to override his veto why bother now.

I would rather them wait and see what happens in 2012 so they don't offer the excuse that they tried but it didn't work.

I hope my gut feeling is wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Hmmm, I never considered this angle. I'd have to agree tho!
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I support the bill. It does NOT establish a Federal permit system. It simply says state must recocnize other states permits IF they issue them themselves. Only Illinois (and DC?) would we not be able to carry in. As far as the arguement that it is a 'states rights' intrusion, the Congress does have that power in some circumstances already, this in my (and many others)opinion being one if them. Read the Fourteenth amendment of the US Constution. This bill DOES NOT change the laws or standards or regulations in any state regarding issueing permits to its own citizens. States already recognize driver licences from other states, this bill treats gun permits the same way. Out of state permit carriers would still have to obey the laws of the state they are visiting, for example no carry in a bar(21 and older). Will this bill cause some states like New York, Maryland, New Jersy and other 'hard to get permit state' to stop issueing? Not likely. Besides isnt it next to immpossible already in New Jersy for instance for the average Joe Blow to get one anyway? What the bill WOULD DO is show the rest of the country how law abiding 99.99% of concealed weapon permit holders are and that the streets wont 'run with the blood of innocents'. This might cause some 'hard to get permit states' to change their laws. As far as the idea that this opens the door for Congress to pass future intrusive gun laws that is poppycock. Say Congress doesnt pass this bill, whats stopping them from passing a new gun-control bill requiring for instance all guns to be registered? Also check out section C of the bill which reads "A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to THE SAME CONDITIOND OR LIMITATIONS THAT APPLY TO RESIDENTS of the state who have permits issued by the state or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the state". As I (and my lawyer) and many others read this, this section extends to out of state permit holders the same rights as local permit holders. This means the 'FEDERAL school exclusion' law would mean out of state permit holders would be legal driving by a school UNDER FRDERAL LAW just as local permit holders already are. As far as the bad amendments to the bill, they were defeated. There is over 250 co-sponsers in the House and if you want a veto-proof number it takes (if all members are voting) 290 to overide a Obama veto. It is likely the bill will get more than that anyway. Considering the changed make up of the Senate in the last election the bill will pass there also even allowing for stopping a fillibuster, which takes 60 votes. However if ALL the Senators are voting it would take 67 votes to overide an Obama veto, not impossible but iffy. Do remember this(2012) is an election year so it stands a good chance. Also remember Obama signed the bill allowing for National Park carry. True that bill was 'tacked on' an unrealated bill, but there are some plans do do the same in this case. Now to all of you who are mistrustful of anything that comes out of Washington DC? SO AM I! But now and then good things do happen. This is one of them. It would stop the inequalities at many state lines. Many of you(including me) have complained bitterly about how we cant legally carry on our out of state vacations. This bill would change that. To those who think the answer is in changing state laws I say great and how many decades will this take? By the way I am NOT a member of the NRA, but considering their support of this bill I will join. Do NOT let the 'Brady Bunch' and their propaganda against this bill fool you. The would like nothing better and indeed have made it a top priority to defeat this bill. If this means dividing gun owners, they will rejoice. Dont help the 'Brady Bunch'. Lets support this bill. Oh and "this is NOT a paid political advertisement".

I am sighting santa for a paragraphs violation. Please edit the previous posting to make it more readable by using paragraphs. If you do it well, I might even let you have a Sheepdog-snack.

Axendra45, I may be wrong but the NRA backed a states (AZ) open carry law with regards to the 2nd amendment not a federal 2nd amendment law so NRA still has NOT been a force for US 2nd Amendmendment, JG1967's NRA note applies to support for a state law. Just saying. SB-1108 was a state bill.

My typing skills are limited to one finger on one letter at a time and I am still figureing out how the keyboard works. No kidding I never learned how to type. My typing is only marginally better than my SPELLUN. And as far as a snack I prefere Scooby-snacks.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast