Ccw charge - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ccw charge

1. Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    THANK YOU! Gosh dang, just about the only applicable reply to the OP. I mean it's perfectly fine to post replies.... but geez, it's nice to see one actually answer the question asked! :-)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

In NV we're required to be in possession of a valid CCW anytime we're carrying concealed. I take that to mean I have to have my CCW on my person whenever I'm carrying. I also take it to mean I'm not in compliance without it and fully expect to have an unwanted encounter with the local LEO.

A big part about the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon is that you remain in compliance with the law. What's unfair about that? If you're carrying and the law says that you must also be in possession of your CCW whenever you're doing it, to not have it means simply that you're not a law abiding citizen at that particular moment. How serious the cop takes it is probably discretionary, but you signed the papers, you can't claim you didn't know and "oops" has never been a valid defense.

I'm sorry to sound so high handed here but I'm of the opinion that every one of those minor misdemeanors or whenever someone accidentally shoots an innocent bystander, or outright murders someone, (like that pharmacist did), it's another bullet for gun control wackos to use in the fight to take our guns away. The privilege of carrying a concealed weapon also comes with the responsibility to not make a mistake with it. Fortunately, your experience was about as minor of an offense as your state has, but that doesn't relieve you of the responsibility to obey the law.

MI CPL holder here. We were told in class to treat your CPL in the same manner as you would your driver license. Carry it with you all the time. If you get pulled over while driving you are going to need to present your drivers license and in addition your are required to reveal that your a cpl holder rather quickly. May as well have them in your wallet together. You may just get off with a warning. I can't say for OH but, I believe in MI that there is a schedule of violations. The first time may just be a warning, the second time a fine and after that fines increase up to the point where they will take your cpl. Good luck

5. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    A big part about the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon is that you remain in compliance with the law.
    Yep, it sucks that gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens and have no effect on criminals - other than to make their lives easier by disarming more victims.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

The ONLY time I do not have my lisence with me is if I am on my own property. If I decide to leave my property I always have my wallet w/driver and chl with me.Texas reply

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Whitlock View Post
    Minnesota is the same, you have to have your permit and a valid drivers license on you at all times while you are carrying. Sorry OP but you done goofed.
    Correct to a degree, in MN you should always carry your permit, if you do not you will receive a citation for a petty misdemeanor, however, the citation must be dismissed if you bring your permit to court or to the office of the arresting officer. So long as the permit was valid at the time of the alleged violation.

So yes you may run into a slight issue but you won't be laying up at night or posting on the web that you are worried about it.

If you haven't picked one up, get a copy of Minnesota Permit To Carry A Firearm Fundamentals. It is a FANTASTIC book and outlines everything you need to know, including cards to carry with you in the event you use your weapon and even a great lawyer contact. I'd highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    A big part about the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon is that you remain in compliance with the law.
    I do not consider my right to carry a privilege. The second amendment guarantees it as a right. Having said that, I do always carry the paper the state of Indiana issued to me that says it's OK with them that I carry.

Colorado requires you to be in possession of your permit and valid ID

From what I learned in my CCW class, if you have your gun on you, your permit should always be in your wallet. Its like driving a car with our your drivers license. Good luck, you will probably get a stearn warning.

Quote Originally Posted by milesihrig View Post
    Hello,

I was in an incident last week that I will not go public with until my trial is over, however I was charged with Ccw. I am a valid Ohio Ccw permit holder, however I did not have my permit on me during my arrest but once my name was ran it showed that I did have a valid permit??? was it right or wrong for the officer to charge me with Ccw?
    Most states that issue permits require the permit be with you when carrying the gun at a minimum. If caught with a gun you can be charged with an illegal possession count. In my experience these are usually dismissed in the interest of justice. In NYS the illegal possession charge would be dropped but the issueing authority may want to discuss the administrative violation with you. In NYS the judge may temporarily suspend the permit to teach a lesson. Good luck. i think you'll be OK. Just make sure your attorney approaches the charge as I described.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast