How would you handle this - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you handle this

1. He risked his life

Let him know that if he did that on the street to a stranger, he could likely get shot. And even in the controlled environment you were in, instincts can kick in, especially if someone has combat training.
    While this maybe a little overly dramatic, it should get his attention.

RE: 'screw the service'. I to am a sound man in a church and carry there. Our church is pretty free flowing and not overly reverent, but the last thing you want to do in the sound booth is be a distraction.

RE: 'conceal it better'. in a sound booth you feel concealed by nature of being in a booth. Only the people in the booth can see you below the waist. Also you are often reaching or bending in ways that you seldom do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    RE: 'screw the service'. I to am a sound man in a church and carry there. Our church is pretty free flowing and not overly reverent, but the last thing you want to do in the sound booth is be a distraction.
    I am also a sound dude and I carry 'religiously' --- a good sound guy or gal is like a good referee in football- you never know they're there. Hopefully there isn't any backlash within the congregation but your friend really needs to be educate.

As to the guy that was carrying and was the sound trainee, while training it would be very easy to 'go white' as there is much to do and think about while learning the sound board. This is a valuable lesson for him and hopefully, he will learn from it.

You should definitely educate your friend as to where he went wrong. Be tactfull and respectfull, but drive the point home.

As to what I would do...who knows!? I'd like to think that I would swat his hand away and politely tell him to piss off, but I'm truly not sure.

As far as it being concealed better...coulda, woulda, shoulda. In Mn, we can carry however we feel like carrying that day. I carry concealed, but don't really give a damn if I'm reaching or bending and someone notices my sidearm. It's not brandishing, and if they have a problem with me carrying, they can relocate themselves. A lot of people chastise others for being made while carrying, like they don't deserve to own a gun. I think it's ridiculous and gets blown out of proportion. I'll worry about mine, you worry about yours...

So far in my relatively short time of carrying, I've yet to be made...at least I think. No little old ladies or children running away screaming "GUN!" yet.

I was going to start a new thread about this but I think it’s appropriate to keep it in this context.

Guys, I really don’t know how to explain it but my friend Does. Not .Get .It.
    I sincerely believe that his mind just isn’t wired that way. I spent all day w/ him on Saturday (9.17) and some of the things that he talked about have convinced me that he just
    Does. Not .Get .It.

Sunday last (9.11) I walk up to him after service to say “Hi” He happened to be standing next to the SF sound guy and he looks at me and spins around and says ‘Can you tell if I’m printing?” He says it loud. The SF guy looks at him like ‘You idiot” and the woman next to him get a deer in the headlights look and I could see her mind click into “I did not just hear what I just heard mode.” I looked right at him and said “It doesn’t matter if you’re printing or not every one in earshot now knows” He just looked at me like ‘So?’

I would be willing to bet my ass he was told not to tell anyone what was up.

Saturday (9.17) he tells me:

About the Op incident, when I explain that it wasn’t his best work he responds “It was a joke”

That he’s told one of the Praise Team I carry. When I explain I’d rather the whole church didn’t know he explains that she felt more comfortable knowing who was or wasn’t carrying. (I like the girl but I don’t want her that deep in my business w/out me knowing it)

He mentions to me that 5 or 6 guys I don’t know also carry in church. Wonder how they might feel about that?

He told me a story about driving through a town in Nebraska when another driver wouldn’t let him change lanes. According to him they pulled up at a light and he tossed a shotgun shell into the other guy’s car and told him “if you don’t want me to use that you sit at that light and let me pass.

He got upset when I explained that his actions were a wonderful way to buy yourself a ticket to a gunfight or a jail cell.

That’s what I meant when I said I wouldn’t bother trying to explain it to him because I really think his mind won’t grasp the concept I really don’t even think an ass whooping would help

He just

Does. Not .Get .It.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Treo... There are a number of comments above that I agree with.

If the guy grabs my gun, I'm gonna show him the back of my hand. (Remember we are in the sound booth.) If I am in the middle of the congregation. I would slowly walk out quietly, then meet him later to discuss the situation. With standing up and setting down for music and prayer I could see how a pistol might be uncovered.

As for your friend, he really isn't a friend. Some people just need to be avoided. Seek some place else when you see him.

Psalm 82:3-5

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I was going to start a new thread about this but I think itís appropriate to keep it in this context.

Guys, I really donít know how to explain it but my friend Does. Not .Get .It.
    I sincerely believe that his mind just isnít wired that way. I spent all day w/ him on Saturday (9.17) and some of the things that he talked about have convinced me that he just
    Does. Not .Get .It.

Sunday last... (snip)
    Wow, Treo, I do not envy you. About the only thing I could think to say to him, were he my friend, is to tell him either; 1. Don't talk to anyone about my business, ever, at all, for any reason. or, 2. I don't carry anymore - I decided against it (a lie). I mean, it sounds like he is not going to take anyone's concerns into consideration, so the only thing to do until he finally does get "IT" is to lie so he can't pass your situation along to others.

When you were talking about the woman that told him she felt better knowing who was carrying, he was obviously too clueless to realize that that could mean she could ALSO mean she was uncomfortable around people WITH guns in church. All you need is a smart troll using him to provide all sorts of info on you and other CCers and no telling what they will try to do with it.

I wish you luck and please let us know if you come up with a successful solution.
    Edmund Burke: ďThe people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.Ē Ė 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by pmb61 View Post
    Agree with above that the grabber was out of line. As far as not carrying in a church. How many shootings have occurred in churches in the past?? I just heard today on the local news that there was an incident in Lakeland , Fl .

Lakeland ministers shot at church by former church deacon, police say | TBO.com

Anything can happen Anytime , anywhere!
    This happened in CO, there was a very bad shooting in CO at a couple of churches. The BG was finally taken down by a PT female security guard.

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    When you were talking about the woman that told him she felt better knowing who was carrying, he was obviously too clueless to realize that that could mean she could ALSO mean she was uncomfortable around people WITH guns in church. All you need is a smart troll using him to provide all sorts of info on you and other CCers and no telling what they will try to do with it.
    I can see how this would be an issue but not w/ her. I know this woman and she is good people. It's not so much that I mind her knowing as it was my place to share that information not his
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    This happened in CO, there was a very bad shooting in CO at a couple of churches. The BG was finally taken down by a PT female security guard.
    Jeanne Assam was not a part time anything. She was an armed volunteer who had no official standing. IOW she was a private citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Jeanne Assam was not a part time anything. She was an armed volunteer who had no official standing. IOW she was a private citizen

What he means is she volunteered to work as security that day. Yes while she was a private citizen that day she was a former police officer from Minnesota. So she had been trained on how to move and shoot in a tactical active shooter scene and how to over come tunnel vision,heart rate etc..

But you bring up a great point, seeing as how she was a private citizen why did she yell "Police Officer" at the gun man(those are her own words!)

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast