Notifying LEO -- Is it LAW in NYS, or just a good idea? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notifying LEO -- Is it LAW in NYS, or just a good idea?

1. Quote Originally Posted by JoeWickman View Post
    So, which is it? If I'm pulled over for a bum brake light, do I HAVE to notify the LEO, or is it just good practice?

How does this differ state-to-state? Or does it?

Thanks.
    IMHO, the answers to your questions are:

Required in NYS: NO.
    Good practice: NO.
    Differes from state to state: YES.
    Required in WA: NO.
    Good Practice: NO.

Did I mention I feel it is not good practice to inform when not required by law to do so?

My feeling is this: if I am stopped for a non-firearm related offense, why should I cause it to become firearm related? My lawfully possessed gun is not any different than my lawfully possessed cell phone or the CDs or stepdaughter's IPod in the car.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Texas requires you to notify if carrying weapon on or about your body including in car, it is also tied to your drivers license and they will know.

Where did you get this list? I was told by my CCW instructor you need to notify in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by nraynes View Post
    Where did you get this list? I was told by my CCW instructor you need to notify in Maine.
    I went thru every state page Handgunlaw.us...click on your state...and top right corner answers the question.

At the top of the USA Carry page, you see Concealed Cearry Permit Info, clicking your state there will give the the law as it is written for your state.

Being retired LEO I can tell you I would prefer the person inform me as soon as I approach the person. It will make the experience more comfortable for both of us...Now don't miss-understand that I would treat you differently..But keep in mind if we were at a violent crime scene I'm going to want to make sure all weapons are secured before getting into the investigation...I would rather you tell me than me having to find it on you....Like I said it could avoid and miss-understanding between us and you know in that in this situation people are already tense!.It may even give you an edge with me.....Keep in mind this is my thought and opinion...But you know what they say about those.

Plus who knows in a bad situation you might be my only backup! Before you ask yes that has happened in a live fire call..Neighbor and I were pinned behind my car.....He had CWP and assisted me..Must say he handled himself very well.....Story had a good ending with the good guy's not leaking..

Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
    Being retired LEO I can tell you I would prefer the person inform me as soon as I approach the person. It will make the experience more comfortable for both of us...Now don't miss-understand that I would treat you differently..But keep in mind if we were at a violent crime scene I'm going to want to make sure all weapons are secured before getting into the investigation...I would rather you tell me than me having to find it on you....Like I said it could avoid and miss-understanding between us and you know in that in this situation people are already tense!.It may even give you an edge with me.....Keep in mind this is my thought and opinion...But you know what they say about those.

Plus who knows in a bad situation you might be my only backup! Before you ask yes that has happened in a live fire call..Neighbor and I were pinned behind my car.....He had CWP and assisted me..Must say he handled himself very well.....Story had a good ending with the good guy's not leaking..

but...there is a huge difference between a traffic stop and a violent crime scene that you bring into this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWickman View Post
    Hey All,

I live in NYS and have an unrestricted carry permit.
    Then it is incumbent upon you (As opposed to a bunch of Anonymous internet posters who won't be there when you get pulled over)to know the laws of your state. A good resource is handgunlaw.us or you can look at the top of your computer screen under the "Concealed Carry Permit Info" header. you need to actually read the law for yourself and be able to quote it to a cop if you need to.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

9. Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post

Plus who knows in a bad situation you might be my only backup!
    Before you ask yes that has happened in a live fire call..Neighbor and I were pinned behind my car.....He had CWP and assisted me..Must say he handled himself very well.....Story had a good ending with the good guy's not leaking..
    Just curious... how is the CCW holder supposed to be your only backup after you have secured their firearm "for officer safety", of course.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    but...there is a huge difference between a traffic stop and a violent crime scene that you bring into this.
    A car description that matches yours may have been put out on the radio...WHAM..here we are!

There are a millions of things that can happen in a traffic stop....

No legal requirement in NY. If pulled over, keep your mouth shut unless specifically asked about a gun, if asked to exit the car or if you must reach into a glove box or pocketbook containing a gun.

NY has no pending legislation on this.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast