Notifying LEO -- Is it LAW in NYS, or just a good idea?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notifying LEO -- Is it LAW in NYS, or just a good idea?

Notifying LEO -- Is it LAW in NYS, or just a good idea?

Hey All,

I live in NYS and have an unrestricted carry permit.

Tonight I was talking to a friend of mine. He's a recently retired LEO. He said if he gets stopped for a traffic stop, etc. he does not notify the LEO stopping him. I asked him if it was LAW in NYS to notify the LEO as soon as you made contact. He didn't seem to think it was.

So, which is it? If I'm pulled over for a bum brake light, do I HAVE to notify the LEO, or is it just good practice?

How does this differ state-to-state? Or does it?

Thanks.

It is NOT required in NY. AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only Must Inform states.

Is it good practice? eh. It's a matter of preference. I wouldn't do it if not required. You're in NY...what do you think?

No offense to the OP but I would've thought a permit holder would already know that about the state their permit was issued in. Seems odd they do not.

No, it's not required. I tend to think that I wouldn't notify unless I was asked to step out of th vehicle. Then I would notify before he happened to notice a bulge on my hip. If it's just a speeding ticket or a warning, why bother bringing it up?

Notifying LEO's

I'm also an New York State Resident,

I've searched all the Penal Codes Looking for your Answer, and Found Nothing that States you are required to nottify LEO'S. I fully believe that it depends on the Situation, that has brought you to that encounter. The Officer that you are Engaging has allot to do with Notifying him,or her. I have come across some Officer's who were extremely nice, and some that are not so nice. Unfortuniatly you, and only you can make that call.

If the Officer that has me pulled over treats me, as I treat him, or her then yes I notify, But if the Officer has a chip on his,or her shoulder. I do not Notify. Beiing that it is not required.New York is always Modifying thier Handgun Laws to benifit Them, I continuiously search the Penal codes searching for that answer.You can never be to safe.I try always to error on the side of caution.
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

Here in MO we do not have to notify. When getting a driver's license here you are given a choice to attach your CCW permit or not. When I go shopping and have to issue a cheque to a merchant or a checkout chick in the supermarket, I don't want them to know that I am carrying. So far, touch wood, I haven't been stopped for any traffic violation or even anything, but if I am, it will be at my discretion when I do.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

mrjam said it all. Individual preference, required in some states, and, in NY and other crazy blue states you probably are taking a big chance letting an LEO know anything if you do not have to.

If I'm not mistaken, you must inform in Indiana. When a LEO brings up your license, it will show up that you have a CC. I got stopped once and the last thing the LEO asked me was if I was carring. I was not that day which is why I didn't say anything. He thought he was going to bust me for not informing.

If you are stopped by an Erie co. Sheriff. It will be in their records that they were at your house for a pistol permit interview, I don't know if it says weather you were granted one by the Judge or not. I have heard the dispatch inform the officer to BOTLO for weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by logical Larry View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you must inform in Indiana. When a LEO brings up your license, it will show up that you have a CC. I got stopped once and the last thing the LEO asked me was if I was carring. I was not that day which is why I didn't say anything. He thought he was going to bust me for not informing.
    Incorrect. AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only 10 states.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast