Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit? - Page 10

View Poll Results: Do you inform the front desk about your CCW at check-in?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I hand them my permit at check-in.

1 0.42%
  • I show my CCW Badge to the Front desk person at check-in.

7 2.92%
  • No, concealed means concealed.

229 95.42%
  • No, it might make the person nervous.

2 0.83%
  • Yes, it's for "safety" reasons.

1 0.42%
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Sheriffs also have lots of perceived authority and if you tell a sheriff you have a gun, you will most likely be interpreted as a bad guy.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post

Watch this...just for kicks, i've done it before with another post in another thread...

With this said, there are different motivations for informing taxi drivers while not informing a cop. I may find it reasonable to inform a taxi driver of my weapon in an attempt to show my willingness to cooperate and reveal to him that my intentions are not that of committing violence against them. A taxi driver killer is most likely not going to tell a taxi driver they have a gun before using it against them.

In relation to a cop, a big reason why their job is dangerous is because they have perceived authority, and lots of it. Informing a cop that you have a gun may be taken in the opposite way, as a threat. Sheriffs also have lots of perceived authority and if you tell a sheriff you have a gun, you will most likely be interpreted as a bad guy.
    Great big +1. Absolutely amazing how that works, isn't it!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Neck Chain CCW Badge Holder Thingie

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Hey hey now, the proper term for what you are describing is a "Neck Chain CCW Badge Holder Thingie".

5. Here's my deal with police and why I brought up the initial discussion about the taxi drivers in another thread.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there are at least nine other professions that are more dangerous than police officer. My garbage collector is more likely to get killed on the job than a police officer is. Where would I be without my garbage collector? What if he didn't show up for work for two, three or four weeks in a row? Would our lives suffer if all of the garbage collectors in the country took a month vacation? Hell yes. And garbage collectors have a pretty thankless job.

What about the farmers who work for 12-16 hours a day, usually, to put food on our tables? What about the stress they have wondering if a storm is going to wipe out their crop, and several months of paychecks in one day? Wondering if the gas prices are going to keep them from being able to make any money? They are more likely to get killed on the job than a cop is. Without the farmers and ranchers, where would we be? We would be out in our gardens, or out in the woods hunting for several hours after work EVERY DAY, just to feed ourselves and our families. The same is true for fishermen.

What about loggers/lumberjacks? When was the last time you hugged a lumberjack? If it wasn't for them, exposing themselves to many times more danger every day than a police officer does, where would you be? Look at everything that is made of wood around you. Where does that come from? Do you want to go out and cut down your own trees to make the 2x4's in your house from?

Now, in regards to police officers. They are doing a job. Nothing more, nothing less. Is it an important and dangerous job? Yes. Any more important than a farmer, garbage collector or lumberjack? Not really. Do police officer's deserve special treatment from me because they wear a uniform and a badge? Absolutely not. Police officers' authority is limited to what is granted to them by statute and many times more restricted than statute by state and US Constitutions. I feel no need to offer police officers anything more than is required by law and anything more than I would the lumberjack who cut the wood for my house, the farmer who puts food on my table and the garbageman who takes away my garbage. I see no reason at all to place police officers into any kind of elite status because of the profession they have chosen.

In fact, if we didn't have the farmers, the lumberjacks, the fishermen, and the garbage collectors, I fully believe that our lives would be greatly more affected than if we didn't have police officers.

And that is the point to these questions.... exactly why is it that the uniform and the badge deserves special treatment above and beyond that treatment afforded to hardworking men and women who are in much more dangerous jobs, without whom our lives would eventually become extremely miserable.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post

Watch this...just for kicks, i've done it before with another post in another thread...

With this said, there are different motivations for informing taxi drivers while not informing a cop. I may find it reasonable to inform a taxi driver of my weapon in an attempt to show my willingness to cooperate and reveal to him that my intentions are not that of committing violence against them. A taxi driver killer is most likely not going to tell a taxi driver they have a gun before using it against them.

In relation to a cop, a big reason why their job is dangerous is because they have perceived authority, and lots of it. Informing a cop that you have a gun may be taken in the opposite way, as a threat. Sheriffs also have lots of perceived authority and if you tell a sheriff you have a gun, you will most likely be interpreted as a bad guy.
    If you had read my post you would have realized that one of the main reasons why taxi drivers are targeted for violence is because they have cash, so they get robbed. Therefore, you would reveal your gun before committing violence or threatening it against them.

If informing a cop was seen as a threat, everyone in states that require informing cops would be put in jail for threatening the cop, and everyone in other states would likewise be thrown in jail for informing as well.
    Cops do not have "perceived" authority. Your state constitution gives them real authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    If you had read my post you would have realized that one of the main reasons why taxi drivers are targeted for violence is because they have cash, so they get robbed. Therefore, you would reveal your gun before committing violence or threatening it against them.

If informing a cop was seen as a threat, everyone in states that require informing cops would be put in jail for threatening the cop, and everyone in other states would likewise be thrown in jail for informing as well.
    Cops do not have "perceived" authority. Your state constitution gives them real authority.
    I did read your post. Then I changed it to my post. If you read my post, you would have seen no argument against robbery of taxi drivers. I believe in most cases, where a violent act is committed with a firearm, or a threat is committed with a firearm, the firearm has to be revealed, Taxi or cop, period. How does it change between the two? Do you think when there is violence against police the bg keeps the firearm in their pocket and shoots from there, keeping the firearm completely concealed the whole time?

If informing a cop wasn't a threat, Canton, Ohio wouldn't have happened. "There's no Harliss bull**** that's going to happen today," wouldn't be such a great line either.

They do have authority through state, authority of law, not of opinion. While bad guys will kill police officers trying to avoid the officers authority of law, it's the officers perceived authority of their own opinion that makes them dangerous to law abiding citizens.

Like you said earlier, there are different motivations in telling different people. I do not feel motivated to tell ANYONE that doesn't know I am all ready carrying that I am doing so unless I feel its safer for ME. Not safer for a taxi driver, not safer for a cop, not safer for bambi...only safer for ME is the only reason I will tell someone. Do I believe its safer for me to tell an officer? No. Taxi driver? No. Hotel Clerk? No. Garbage man? No.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do I believe its safer for me to tell an officer? No. Taxi driver? No. Hotel Clerk? No. Garbage man? No.
    And the person in that list who is MOST dangerous TO YOU if you tell them about your gun is the police officer, which is why a police officer is the LAST person I will tell about my gun, unless it is required by law.

9. But WHY???? So the housekeeper can steal your gun!!! I have never notified the front desk. I was just in OHIO at the Westin and was fine

Sorry, but some of the most dangerous jobs are that because of ACCIDENTS, not robberies.

I still see little merit in informing people where there is no legal requirement to do so. Most of them I suspect really don't in the last WANT to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Sorry, but some of the most dangerous jobs are that because of ACCIDENTS, not robberies.

I still see little merit in informing people where there is no legal requirement to do so. Most of them I suspect really don't in the last WANT to know.
    But it's for the hotel officer's "safety" and "respecting their uniform and the authority it represents."

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast