Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit? - Page 9

View Poll Results: Do you inform the front desk about your CCW at check-in?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I hand them my permit at check-in.

1 0.42%
  • I show my CCW Badge to the Front desk person at check-in.

7 2.92%
  • No, concealed means concealed.

229 95.42%
  • No, it might make the person nervous.

2 0.83%
  • Yes, it's for "safety" reasons.

1 0.42%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit?

Ths is for you, Agent Green...you make a list of mistakes posted here? Not all of us are good at English. Or some just simply are the way they are spelled because some people have phonetic ears and spells that way. As long as you understand the message, why bother correcting them. I have met more intelligent people who are brilliant at what they know than how they spell. I have met mediocre people who are good spellers but not so good at anything. For some people like me, English is not even my first language but I tried -- because I have to compete, because I want to be able to express myself with people whose interests shares mine.

Please ease up. We did not come here to learn English or another language, but to exchange ideas, wrong spellings or tenses or whatnots....
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I must agree with ASC1WBULLOCK. Unless management of the establishment REQUIRES CCW holders to identify (Something I have never heard of!) such a holder gains nothing by stating that he/she is packing. It is none of their business. It might expose the holder to danger (Targeted by bad guy(s))and amounts to simple-minded braggadocio. God knows that, if you NEED to pull the weapon, people will find out soon enough!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dons2346 View Post
    Are you serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by LDaniel View Post
    Why would someone even ask that question?

Uh, no, but i do tell them that I've been in an airplane.
    Yes, it is a serious question. Some of us think it is just as, if not more, foolish and unnecessary to inform a police officer of a CCW (when not required by law) as it is to inform a front desk clerk or taxi driver. Many people cite "courtesy", "respect", "the officer just wants to go home safe at night", and "to put them at ease" as reasons to notify a police officer of their CCW. Those particular reasons should be more applicable to those persons whom we might deal with that are in more dangerous professions than police officers, therefore those people who inform police officers for those particular reasons should be more eager to extend the same "courtesy" to those other, more dangerous professions.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yes, it is a serious question. Some of us think it is just as, if not more, foolish and unnecessary to inform a police officer of a CCW (when not required by law) as it is to inform a front desk clerk or taxi driver. Many people cite "courtesy", "respect", "the officer just wants to go home safe at night", and "to put them at ease" as reasons to notify a police officer of their CCW. Those particular reasons should be more applicable to those persons whom we might deal with that are in more dangerous professions than police officers, therefore those people who inform police officers for those particular reasons should be more eager to extend the same "courtesy" to those other, more dangerous professions.
    I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion that a hotel clerk or a taxi driver holds a more dangerous job than a police officer

6. Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    I'm interested in how you came to the conclusion that a hotel clerk or a taxi driver holds a more dangerous job than a police officer
    I didn't come to the conclusion that a taxi driver's job is more dangerous that a police officer's. The Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics did.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/archive/spring2000art1.pdf

And notice where police officers are on the last chart in this series:

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0009.pdf

The very bottom. A garbage collector is 1.5 times more likely to die on the job than a cop is. A fisherman is 6 times more likely to die on the job than a cop is.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

NO ONE gets to know if I am carrying. Except, an LEO interacting with me in the line of duty. It's the Law. I don't have to necessarily agree or "like" it, but that's the way of it.

The only difference between a BG and a CCW gunslinger is that the CCW type generally tries to comply with the Law. (Probably why our Elected Elites always pass "gun laws" that only affect the law abiding, it's the only means by which their grand edicts get paid any attention to at all. Certainly doesn't bother the BGs!)

It's a "trust" thing. Generally, our legislators don't trust us average citizens too awfully much. (Well, that, at least, is mutual.) They don't draw approval ratings consistantly in the teens for nothing, ya know! LOL!

GG

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I didn't come to the conclusion that a taxi driver's job is more dangerous that a police officer's. The Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics did.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/archive/spring2000art1.pdf

And notice where police officers are on the last chart in this series:

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0009.pdf

The very bottom. A garbage collector is 1.5 times more likely to die on the job than a cop is. A fisherman is 6 times more likely to die on the job than a cop is.
    Thanks for the information, it is actually pretty interesting to look at. But I must say that taxi drivers encounter violence and danger for different reasons than police do. So equating the two is not reasonable. The article points out that one reason taxi drivers have especially high rates of violence against them is because they work with cash, making them a target for robbery. Cops do not share this motivation of being targeted for violence.

With this said, there are different motivations for informing police while not informing a taxi driver. I may find it reasonable to inform a cop of my weapon in an attempt to show my willingness to cooperate and reveal to him that my intentions are not that of committing violence against them. A cop killer is most likely not going to tell a cop they have a gun before using it against them.

In relation to a taxi driver, a big reason why their job is dangerous is because they have cash, and lots of it. Informing a taxi driver that you have a gun may be taken in the opposite way, as a threat. Bank tellers also have lots of cash and if you tell a bank teller you have a gun, you will most likely be interpreted as a robber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Ths is for you, Agent Green....Please ease up. We did not come here to learn English or another language, but to exchange ideas, wrong spellings or tenses or whatnots....
    Are you serious? Do you actually think the purpose of that post was to point out grammar and spelling? It wasn't. Oh the irony...

No wonder localgirl likes you so much NavyLCDR, you always seem to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle:233983
    With this said, there are different motivations for informing police while not informing a taxi driver. I may find it reasonable to inform a cop of my weapon in an attempt to show my willingness to cooperate and reveal to him that my intentions are not that of committing violence against them. A cop killer is most likely not going to tell a cop they have a gun before using it against them.

In relation to a taxi driver, a big reason why their job is dangerous is because they have cash, and lots of it. Informing a taxi driver that you have a gun may be taken in the opposite way, as a threat. Bank tellers also have lots of cash and if you tell a bank teller you have a gun, you will most likely be interpreted as a robber.

Watch this...just for kicks, i've done it before with another post in another thread...

With this said, there are different motivations for informing taxi drivers while not informing a cop. I may find it reasonable to inform a taxi driver of my weapon in an attempt to show my willingness to cooperate and reveal to him that my intentions are not that of committing violence against them. A taxi driver killer is most likely not going to tell a taxi driver they have a gun before using it against them.

In relation to a cop, a big reason why their job is dangerous is because they have perceived authority, and lots of it. Informing a cop that you have a gun may be taken in the opposite way, as a threat. Sheriffs also have lots of perceived authority and if you tell a sheriff you have a gun, you will most likely be interpreted as a bad guy.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast