How many rounds do you REALLY need. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rounds do you REALLY need.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam2Taz View Post
    An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Here is an interesting read!
    Thanks for sharing, great article!

I carry my short mag in my XD40, and a spare mag with 12 for a total of 22 including the chambered round. This article tends to support what I teach in training that accuracy is far more important than caliber.

I still prefer to have the choice of quantity if my quality should falter under pressure, and these days multiple assailants seems to be on the rise.

Ok...I'll bite...

If you want to discount the prudent response as "macho," then I would argue you aren't looking for honest answers. I doubt that even the neophytes would argue that carrying only 2.8 rounds (because that is the average) would be prudent. Heck, its not even possible! So let's say three rounds. Any takers? Of course not. And here are some reasons why...

What if the assailant is using illicit drugs that dull the pain response? What if the assailant is wearing some sort of body armor? What if the assailant is using cover or concealment? What if they are just so emotionally invested/committed for whatever reason that they continue to function even after having been dealt serious injury? What if there are multiple assailants? What about combinations of the above factors?

The answer is, and continues to be (with no machismo necessary), that you should carry as many rounds as you are willing to carry and can effectively conceal if that's your style.

Another factor to consider is the number of spare magazines you carry. If you are ever in a prolonged gunfight, you may have an opportunity for a tactical reload. Your gun runs on ammo, so top off the tank. This requires you to exchange the partial mag in your gun with a full mag from your belt. The number of full spare mags you carry will determine how many times you can do this, and will prolong the possibility of running the gun dry and needing to do an emergency reload. Bad place to be: in the middle of a gunfight with an empty gun.

So...as many rounds, contained in as many spare magazines, as you are willing to carry and are able to effectively conceal (if concealment is your style).

Precisely one, baby!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Iam2Taz View Post
    An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Here is an interesting read!
    Great read! Thanks for sharing...

Here's another article where Rob Pincus justifies his change in opinion about the 9mm. He proposes that capacity is significantly more important than caliber.

Being Wrong is Important... and, Admitting It is too!
    I'm not sure if that was a werewolf, or a hairy homeless guy... either way... the silver bullets worked.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl:235532
    Precisely one, baby!
    Someone had to say it...should've known...

I'm all for being prepared but don't you believe as civilians that we're 99% ahead of most any curve - we have a gun! Crime comes to us and ours, we don't go to it. One can contemplate any and all possible scenarios but I doubt that any of us are going to be under seige or have to engage multiple armed attackers.
    I for one feel virtually no need to be encumbered with all that extra ammo in my everyday life - in 1970 I went into a combat situation with a 1911 and one extra magazine.
    I'm not criticizing anyone and if you feel more comfortable with all that extra ammunition, so be it, but if you're in a situation where that much is truly needed, I doubt you're coming out among the living.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by MI .45:235783
    I'm all for being prepared but don't you believe as civilians that we're 99% ahead of most any curve - we have a gun! Crime comes to us and ours, we don't go to it. One can contemplate any and all possible scenarios but I doubt that any of us are going to be under seige or have to engage multiple armed attackers.
    I for one feel virtually no need to be encumbered with all that extra ammo in my everyday life - in 1970 I went into a combat situation with a 1911 and one extra magazine.
    I'm not criticizing anyone and if you feel more comfortable with all that extra ammunition, so be it, but if you're in a situation where that much is truly needed, I doubt you're coming out among the living.
    Life's all about choices. Unfortunately, its the stupid ones that usually cut that life short. There's just no cure for it.

I keep reading that the average number of rounds fired is 2.6 per fire fight. As I am a proponent of the 9mm I load my pistol with two rounds of 147gr and one round of 115gr. That is about as close as I can get. I don't have to pack around any excess weight and my magazine springs last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by MI .45 View Post
    I suspect you're right but just in case, I generally carry 10+1 in my Steyr S9 and a spare 14-rd magazine on my belt. Like you, I figure if I need that much ammo I probably won't have time to shoot it all but, OTOH, I've never heard of anyone who was involved in a gunfight who later complained of having too much ammo. Stories of those who died from not enough ammo are legion.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Nice thing about Glocks is the mag capacity. I carry a G23 (13+1) and back it up with a G22 mag (15). At 29 rounds I can serve 3 rounds to 3 BGs when they come to the party, and have expended only 30% of my ammo.

I have a cop buddy in Dallas who routinely carries 8 mags (120 rds). I asked him why and he said he didn't want to have to go back to the car and get more if he is hunkered down in a SWAT situation.

My M-4 case has holders for 4 30-round mags. I carry those and 2 20-round that came with the gun all loaded for a total of 160 rds of M855.

Too many? Can you have too many?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast