How many rounds do you REALLY need. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds do you REALLY need.

Just one extra mag or two "speedloaders" for the revolvers.

Ya pays your money and takes your chances. There ain't no such thing as a "sure deal".

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

contrary to my previous, and rather flip answer, (I hope someone got a chuckle) I pack about 45 rounds. My goal is to survive. If that means that the bad guy doesn't, well, I can live with that. Now, if I can hunker down and keep the bad guy at bay, scare him off, or just keep his head down I have accomplished my goal. This may take more rounds than the Hollywood shot to the head. I hope that I never find myself in a firefight. I of course wish to survive such an encounter. If I have rounds left at the end of the fight I have a better chance than if my slide is in lock back and no spare mags. Are 45 rounds too many? I pray that it is.
    If I was truly worried I would pack a long gun. I have been around long enough to know that I am not immune from the unlikely and unpleasant. I have chosen a level that I am comfortable with. Some will be comfortable without owning a gun, others will want far more hardware than I do. I am happy with your choice whatever it is.

I am new to usacarry but just would like to say thanks for the thread because I am looking for a new handgun for ccw and was thinking that same thing. Looking into either a Sig P239 or a Sig p229 and round count was one of the factors in buying one or the other. Good insight and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam2Taz View Post
    An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Here is an interesting read!
    The one missing statistic that no one can provide. Time from start of attack to BG is no longer a threat.

It may take just 2.6, but what if the BG got friends or family near by, Personally?, for me, I carry a springfield 1911 ultra compact 45, holds 7 in the mag, 1 in the pipe, and two spare mags, In a stressfully situtation, If by chance, you miss the first coupke of shots, because your being shoot at, do you mreally want to be in a situtation that would make you say,"well they said all I needed was 3 rounds?, now what do I do?"

I think you should carry however many rounds you feel comfortable with. Me personally, I'd carry one mag in the pistol and 2 on standby.

Quote Originally Posted by atbdrummer View Post
    I think you should carry however many rounds you feel comfortable with.
    Bingo.

I carry whatever's in my pistol. No matter how much you carry, there will always be someone who tells you you should carry more. If someone tells me that the 10 rnds I carry isn't enough and that they carry 20, then I'll say "well why not 21??". If somone tells me that 30 is the best number, I'll say "Why not 31??".

Bottom line: Carry what you feel comfortable carrying. Nobody can accurately tell you that you're carrying too little or too much.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

9. First off...you need to carry extra pistols. I carry four. Ruger Super Redhawk, 500 S&W, Colt Combat Commander, Colt Python. AMERICAN STEEL ONLY...all else is junk.

I carry six speed loaders per revolver. ten spare mags for the auto. when going into bad areas of town i carry extra ammo in an extra large wheelbarrow. I like to have 500 rounds per weapon.

The wheelbarrow has a six-inch iron plate in the bottom. When i come under fire I prop the wheelbarrow up on one end and crouch behind it for cover. i don't like to be caught out in the open.

in addition to extra ammo, i like to have snacks and fluids along for lengthy gunfights. MANY IS THE TIME i have been crouched behind my wheelbarrow for a couple of days while battling street gangs. Luckily i keep several gallons of mountain dew and a case of Wolf Brand Chili with me at all times.

Cold Chili is not the best of foods...but i make sacrifices as i battle crime and immorality in my town.

I hope this strikes a spark in some of you out there...for most of you are woefully unprepared for the realities of modern gunfights.

aj's 40 cal...I think that you've got that logically backwards. The 12 round should be in the gun and the 9 round should be backup. I think that there's no reasonable rationale for doing it the other way around.
    MOLON LABE

EastOkHotRod...KUDOS to you! Your sense of humor brilliantly highlights the absurdity of many of these arguments. Carry concealed means just that "concealed". I carry whatever I can conceal easily as dictated by whatever I'm wearing. I really don't worry much about the number of rounds in what I'm carrying. Like almost everybody in here, except for LEOs, the odds are overwhelming that I'll never have to use it. Also, that is my fervent hope that my gun will remain unfired for self-defense.
    MOLON LABE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast