Carry in condition 1? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry in condition 1?

Condition 4
    Magazine not inserted, chamber empty, weapon on safe.
    Condition 3
    Magazine inserted, chamber empty, weapon on safe.
    Condition 2
    Only applies to revolvers
    Condition 1
    Magazine inserted, round in chamber, weapon on safe.
    Four weapons conditions, eye eye sir!

3. I'm relatively new to firearms and for me, getting comfortable with cc with 1 in the chamber took a little time. A few things convinced me. First, I saw a video of how fast an attack can come on and how you have NO time to rack a round into the chamber. Second, I started to understand the safety features of my gun and became truly convinced that the gun doesn't go off by itself. Third, I am diligent about keeping my finger off the trigger (except when on target) and not pointing the firearm at something I'm not willing to destroy. If you truly take the 4 rules of firearm safety into account, and wear a good holster, you will eventually feel natural carrying with 1 in. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaxdsc View Post
    I'm relatively new to firearms and for me, getting comfortable with cc with 1 in the chamber took a little time. A few things convinced me. First, I saw a video of how fast an attack can come on and how you have NO time to rack a round into the chamber. Second, I started to understand the safety features of my gun and became truly convinced that the gun doesn't go off by itself. Third, I am diligent about keeping my finger off the trigger (except when on target) and not pointing the firearm at something I'm not willing to destroy. If you truly take the 4 rules of firearm safety into account, and wear a good holster, you will eventually feel natural carrying with 1 in. Good luck.
    All good points, xenaxdsc! The video you mention is on YouTube and has been linked to here many times. The time it takes to chamber a round can literally kill you. When Glock first started producing their pistols, to instill trust in their product, they assembled a pistol from random parts bins, loaded a magazine, chambered a round, tied a string to the trigger guard, then took it up to 150' in the air in a helicopter and continuously dropped and re-dropped the gun until it fell apart...it never fired, but it did eventually fall apart. This is how hard it is to have a supposed "Accidental Discharge (AD)" with a modern weapon. ADs are a way to blame the weapon for human stupidity when it is NEVER the weapon's fault - the exception being if the weapon is over one hundred years old, in which case it probably shouldn't be your personal defense weapon.

Finally, a holster that secures the weapon no matter what you do and completely covers the trigger guard is a necessity. If you practice drawing on a monthly basis and can do it smoothly while keeping your finger out of the trigger guard consistently, you're golden! Can you think of any reason to leave the house every month to do something like practice??
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

I usually carry a Glock. Condition 1 is the only way to carry. Besides, as I see it, there isn't much point to carrying if you aren't ready to fire. Most self defense scenarios aren't going to allow you a timeout to get ready. Drawing from concealment already takes too much time as it is.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

this might help you...Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? - YouTube One more link wont hurt, and it might just save a life someday. The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked

Quote Originally Posted by henry1088 View Post
    When you carry are you in condition 1? I've always been nervous that by some fluke something would happen and I'd have an accidental discharge while just standing there.
    You should be alright. Personally, I haven't had an accidental discharge since I was about 16.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Welcome to this forum and learn. Get use to the fact that guns just DON"T discharge on its own. It needs human intervention, boogie finger intervention, for it to fire. Get a Clock.
    Be safe.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I have noticed a lot of folks commenting on their Glocks being in Condition 1. While that is true in a sense, in other ways it is not. There is only one "safety" on the Glock. That's your booger hook. - Don't put it on the trigger and it won't go - BANG. However, on a 1911 there is Cocked, Locked (safety on)and Ready to Rock (one in chamber). When engaging a target with the 1911, one must also disengage the safety. It will not go - Bang when kept properly in the holster and NOT using your booger to fiddle with it.

That said, always carry in Condition 1. Regardless of your nervousness. The difference could very well be your life. - I suppose you could practice Isreali draw and fire. You can't do it with one hand though. Just sayin....

Psalm 82:3-5

That would be a Glock Clock...Right? Talk about perfect timing.
    Happily clinging to God and my guns...not at all bitter.

condition one

A gun is just a tool that i hope u use for self defense. Is will not work if it is not loaded. Matter of fact it is worthless without one in the barrel. If u carry a gun load it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast