Better to be unarmed or armed if active shooter breaks out? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you go armed in "gun free" zones?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my and my families life is more important than any sign.

13 39.39%
  • No, I am not a criminal and I will let others decide where and when I can defend

1 3.03%
  • Yes and no. I have a crystal ball and will avoid deadly violence

3 9.09%
  • No, I simply have very, very few places to go and can avoid no gun zones

16 48.48%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better to be unarmed or armed if active shooter breaks out?

Here is the deal.
    We homeschool so I can avoid the school criminal activity center.
    I do not have any friends or family in jail or prison...so i can cross that one off the list.
    If I need to go to the courthouse, it has at least three deputies and screening at all entrances...so that ain't too bad.
    And finally...If I notice a no guns sign that is for a park or rec area in florida it is now illegal and the laws concerning it are void.
    If it is a business and has a no gun sign I have a no money sign and some sign language for them so that ain't too bad either.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I do not go anywhere were I can't carry. Period!

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    If it is a Crime to carry then I will not carry in that location. That being said, if there is another choice, such as restaurant that bans carry and another restaurant that allows carry, then I go to the one that allows.
    I understand your opinion, and Phillips, I also respect your choices. However, I'm starting to realize there will be very little, if any, divulgance of the thinking as to why one will choose to carry in one location and yet be relatively defenseless in another if signage is the only difference. I understand some will carry here, but not there. I get that. I'm digging tho to get the thinking behind it, the reasoning for location-selective carry and perhaps this forum is not to place to obtain it.

If we carry for self protection, why do we not self protect everywhere if we understand violence is random and is no respector of person or place? What is the reasoning, or justification one uses to reassure him/herself that the violence will not happen where they are, signs or not? This is what I'm after, but I realize it's going to be more difficult than I suspected to obtain.

BTW, if carrying in a gun free zone is prosecutable, is it a greater offense and therefore worthy of a larger jail time/fine if you or a family member are killed by a random "mad-man" with a shotgun or knife while being unarmed in a gun free zone? In that case, of course you will not being prosecuted for not being potentially able to stop the threat against your family, but you will be punished by your conscience forever most likely. That is the comparison I use in my decision to carry despite signage, laws, possible prosecution. Nobody will know i was armed if I don't need the gun to defend my life, nobody yet has.

For me, my thinking is that i justify breaking laws and snubbing business owners by knowing my life and my families life is far more important than anything else. If I felt violence was not random, but predictable, then i would not carry at all as I'd avoid the places violence will occure at any given time... Aside from that, my right to self defense is a God given right and that pretty much trumps anything that could be put on any sign or said here. Again, that is just my opinion, even if that means being called names again. :-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmed3 View Post
    I do not go anywhere were I can't carry. Period!
    You don't go to the dentist? Doctors office? Ever have to go to the post office? Ever need to go to the kid's parent/teacher conference (if you have kids)? Ever need to go to a work site that is gun free? Would you really drive, if the situation existed, 30 miles to the grocery store if the two closer ones were gun free or would you not carry in the posted stores and just take a chance? No wrong answers, I'm guessing your answer would be number 4 in the poll. That's fine. Still, it's easy to make a bold statement, but it requires some thinking to provide some insight as to why you feel that way. Go ahead, give it a try.

Alas, again, perhaps this or any public forum is not the place for such discussion.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

The possibility of being killed in a violent incident or event exists and will vary with gographical location.

Unless stores, restaurants, hospitals/doctors offices etc... implement security measures akin to the type encountered at airports & court houses, or your ability to effectively conceal a handgun is less than stellar, no one will really know.

The thought of watching family members, other innocent humans unrelated to me, or myself, being seriously injured or killed by madmen with no means to defend either them or myself, is unrealistic...

Policy -VS- law... Risk -VS- reward... Human nature... Life is the one thing you can always fight for without worry about rules...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Blog Entries
    Just for the record, I do not carry where not allowed by law. Let this be the post that those who monitor these forums see and record as an official noting of my position regarding CCW and the law.

I voted 3 because I love my crystal ball, and it cost a fortune to obtain. But my answer would be a mix of 3 & 4. Yes I try my hardest to not carry in gun free zones by not going there ever. My doctor allows me to carry, so does my dentist. I don't use the post office (they are failing so bad anyways). I do not have kids. I open carry everywhere anyways.

The very rare, very very rare, occurrence I choose to go to a gun free zone, well you will never know. All I can say is, unless there is a security detail, I will take care of myself.

Concealed means concealed

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I voted #4 because that is what happens to my week most of the times I go out. We do not have school children anymore so that is out; public buildings, hopefully I do not have to go; restaurants -- only if they do not have a signage. I think the only place I go in a gun-free zone is BJC offices and hospitals. But sometimes I forgot that I have my gun on me. It is just so comfortable it doesn't matter anymore.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    To go into a little more detail...

In some states, violating a "No Gun" sign is a prosecutable crime. In this case, I will not carry.

In other states, violating a "No Gun" sign is NOT illegal...just against the policy of the property owner. You cannot be prosecuted unless the property owner or an authorized agent sees your firearm, asks you to leave, and you refuse. In that case, you can be arrested for trespassing. In such a case I will either NOT give the establishment my business...or if there is no reasonable alternative to using their services, I WILL carry.

Know your laws. :)
    PHIL, Tanks for saving me all that typing. I choose this one for the survey! oops, I would if it was a choice. This is the most realistic and reasonable choice for the "law abiding" CC person. Just need to keep plugging away and hope to change the minds and hearts of the gun grabbers. You just have to appeal to their sense of good judgement and reason. That would be if they had any and didn't have an agenda for the rest of us!
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast