Better to be unarmed or armed if active shooter breaks out? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Do you go armed in "gun free" zones?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my and my families life is more important than any sign.

13 39.39%
  • No, I am not a criminal and I will let others decide where and when I can defend

1 3.03%
  • Yes and no. I have a crystal ball and will avoid deadly violence

3 9.09%
  • No, I simply have very, very few places to go and can avoid no gun zones

16 48.48%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Better to be unarmed or armed if active shooter breaks out?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Green:234860
    Lmao. I carry where I can but still find the paranoia of some here amusing. While it's certainly true violence can occur anywhere and at anytime many refuse accept the near astronomically low probability of it happening. You and your loved ones are far more likely to die a thousand other ways.
    You must have never had a gun pointed at your head.

Kalifornia doesn't use signs. It is illegal to carry in courts, jails, and airport past the security point. I don't carry there.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post

If we carry for self protection, why do we not self protect everywhere if we understand violence is random and is no respector of person or place? What is the reasoning, or justification one uses to reassure him/herself that the violence will not happen where they are, signs or not? This is what I'm after, but I realize it's going to be more difficult than I suspected to obtain.

BTW, if carrying in a gun free zone is prosecutable, is it a greater offense and therefore worthy of a larger jail time/fine if you or a family member are killed by a random "mad-man" with a shotgun or knife while being unarmed in a gun free zone? In that case, of course you will not being prosecuted for not being potentially able to stop the threat against your family, but you will be punished by your conscience forever most likely. That is the comparison I use in my decision to carry despite signage, laws, possible prosecution. Nobody will know i was armed if I don't need the gun to defend my life, nobody yet has.
    I will not carry on a military base. That is the only "signage" I honor as you do not have to display or discharge your weapon to end up in jail there. They often do random searches and you have a high chance of having the best concealed weapon become "unconcealed". Otherwise, I go everywhere prepared for the worst and dressed for the best :)
    "I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the "heck" they please".-John Wayne

5. Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Many will assume that deadly violence will not break out where "no guns" signs are posted, like at Virginia Tech, Von Mauer in Omaha, etc. Many will therefore not go into these places armed. Some "Rambo" types will go in armed regardless of any law or signage to the contrary, thereby breaking the law or disrespecting the business owner.

What's your take on carrying where there are signs indicating no guns allowed? ...Maybe this is tongue in cheek, maybe not. Let's see how many unique complaints about this poll we can come with!

Will you have the courage to show your thinking behind a choice? If you don't believe random violence does not happen in gun free zones, and you choose not to carry in them, why do you carry anywhere? Not confrontative there, please, I'm actually asking you to help me understand that kind of thinking. I'm look'n to edjukate myself and your help is appreciated.
    If you didn't want a confrontative answer, then you shouldn't have made a confrontative statement in the frickin' question!

CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED. That's my only answer,

Very Respectfully,
    RAMBO
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I try to go places that it is ok to carry and at other times i do what i think is best !!!
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

7. Quote Originally Posted by Agent Green View Post
    Lmao. I carry where I can but still find the paranoia of some here amusing. While it's certainly true violence can occur anywhere and at anytime many refuse accept the near astronomically low probability of it happening. You and your loved ones are far more likely to die a thousand other ways.
    Do you think your argument would be accepted by the dead students at Columbine? How about the victim's families of Luby's Cafeteria?

What are the chances of your house catching on fire? Why have smoke detectors? What are your chances of being struck by lightning? Why avoid trees, empty fields and playing golf during thunderstorms?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Why is the assumption always made that good people who chose to carry are the problem. Gun free zones are free fire zones proven more than once, and while the chance of confrontation is slim, if it does happen call 911 and wait on police. This should make the anti gunners happy, stated this before and will state it again if you will give me your name and local police, I will send them chalk for your outline. My personal thought is if you pass the requirements to carry, you should be able to carry anywhere the police carry so long as you practice as much or more than the average officer on the street, I do, two other off duty officers were at the same Lubys and had not worn their off duty guns.

"Gun.....what gun? I don't own a gun" :)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234