Better to be unarmed or armed if active shooter breaks out?

View Poll Results: Do you go armed in "gun free" zones?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my and my families life is more important than any sign.

13 39.39%
  • No, I am not a criminal and I will let others decide where and when I can defend

1 3.03%
  • Yes and no. I have a crystal ball and will avoid deadly violence

3 9.09%
  • No, I simply have very, very few places to go and can avoid no gun zones

16 48.48%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better to be unarmed or armed if active shooter breaks out?

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

Better to be unarmed or armed if active shooter breaks out?

Many will assume that deadly violence will not break out where "no guns" signs are posted, like at Virginia Tech, Von Mauer in Omaha, etc. Many will therefore not go into these places armed. Some "Rambo" types will go in armed regardless of any law or signage to the contrary, thereby breaking the law or disrespecting the business owner.

What's your take on carrying where there are signs indicating no guns allowed? ...Maybe this is tongue in cheek, maybe not. Let's see how many unique complaints about this poll we can come with!

Will you have the courage to show your thinking behind a choice? If you don't believe random violence does not happen in gun free zones, and you choose not to carry in them, why do you carry anywhere? Not confrontative there, please, I'm actually asking you to help me understand that kind of thinking. I'm look'n to edjukate myself and your help is appreciated.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Really bro need one ask???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MIL-SPEC 45 View Post
    Really bro need one ask???
    Apparently, it would seem.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Carry everywhere excepted as prohibited by law.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Carry everywhere excepted as prohibited by law.
    So which of the last three choices best fits for you?

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    So which of the last three choices best fits for you?
    You should add an option to the poll that says "Carry everywhere except as prohibited by law". And that would best fit me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    You should add an option to the poll that says "Carry everywhere except as prohibited by law". And that would best fit me.
    What I'm after is the REASONING behind that choice rather than the avoidance of the obvious truth.

Maybe another option would be good... How about: "No, violence does not happen in gun free zones". Would that work?

I'm just ask'n for the reasoning behind the choice to follow signage, not asking for an avoidance of the critical thinking behind the choice. I would like to better understand the thinking behind location-selective carrying.

To go into a little more detail...

In some states, violating a "No Gun" sign is a prosecutable crime. In this case, I will not carry.

In other states, violating a "No Gun" sign is NOT illegal...just against the policy of the property owner. You cannot be prosecuted unless the property owner or an authorized agent sees your firearm, asks you to leave, and you refuse. In that case, you can be arrested for trespassing. In such a case I will either NOT give the establishment my business...or if there is no reasonable alternative to using their services, I WILL carry.

Know your laws. :)
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    To go into a little more detail...

In some states, violating a "No Gun" sign is a prosecutable crime. In this case, I will not carry.

In other states, violating a "No Gun" sign is NOT illegal...just against the policy of the property owner. You cannot be prosecuted unless the property owner or an authorized agent sees your firearm, asks you to leave, and you refuse. In that case, you can be arrested for trespassing. In such a case I will either NOT give the establishment my business...or if there is no reasonable alternative to using their services, I WILL carry.

Know your laws. :)
    If it is a Crime to carry then I will not carry in that location. That being said, if there is another choice, such as restaurant that bans carry and another restaurant that allows carry, then I go to the one that allows.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Elmer Fudd approach to concealed carry. Be vewy vewy quiet... If done correctly, no one knows... If all hell breaks loose, ho cares about the sign...

Signs, signs everywhere signs, 4King up the scenery, breaking my mind...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast