the wife refuses to let me carry condition 1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the wife refuses to let me carry condition 1

I agree with those that have said, don't tell her. You know what's best in this instance, don't make your wife uncomfortable if you don't need to. If she asks, politely decline. Marriage is a lot stronger than deciding which condition you carry, so don't be afraid to stands up for yourself. :-) Be the husband you want to be, protect your wife with everything you've got!

3. Try showing her this video and see if it makes it clear why you need to carry in condition one.

I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. For legal advice ask a lawyer.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Those who accept second best must learn to live with mediocrity. - pafindr

Quote Originally Posted by glockk23 View Post
    " I'm not going anywhere with you of you have a round in the chamber "
    Then leave her butt at home, there can only be one MAN of the house. Cowboy the up

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I know it is easy for us to comment on how YOU should handle your wife... since we don't know her and all. But, here is my suggestions (some may be harsh).

1. Try not to make your carrying condition or anything about it the forefront of conversation. Strap on your gun without her being right there, put it in the condition you want, and don't say a word.

2. Educate her, put her through a formal NRA First Steps Pistol Class or something like that, so she understands gun safety a little better and has some "hands-on". The outside influence will probably help, its one thing to hear it from you, but to hear stuff from an outside 'expert' will usually do good. I say NRA because its a good standardized curriculum hopefully removing the 'cowboy element' you could get with a curriculum put together by an instructor. Get her shooting with you, even if its just a little to remove the mystery and help her understand the mechanics of it.

3. If none of that works, tell her she will just have to trust you and explain that you don't tell her how to carry her purse, or her keys, or her makeup. (sorry, the harsh one)

Sometimes you have to do what you can to educate and bring her along -- then you might have to draw a line in the sand, sack up and tell her that you have done everything you can to educate her and now you've come to and end-pass where you intend to do the right thing whether she likes it or not.

Hope this helps without being too harsh, but sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in EVEN IF it causes you some inconvenience or distress with your wife.

"Politely" and with all due "respect" and "sincerity", you need to grow a set.

My wife was raised AG and terrified of guns. But, when I decided to carry fulltime and get my CWP, I signed her up for CWP class as well. I told her she didn't have to "carry". But, I wanted her to learn "SAFE" gun handling methods JIC I was in trouble and she needed to secure my firearm.

Since that time she has been through more firearms training than I.

She can run multiple weapons platforms very proficiently.

She has paricipated in more shooting competitions.

She regularly assists in CWP classes helping other women overcome their fears.

She also has purchased more firearms and ammo than I have in the past few years.

It's your weapon, it's your training. Carry in any condition you feel appropriate. Not going to candy coat it or go off on your relationship. NOT my place. BUT how you carry, with what weapon you carry and the training is ultimately up to you. Whilst I agree that a marriage is a walk of two as one, ignorance on you spouses part should be overcome with education. If the other half feels that they are educated enough, time to re-evaluate. This ain't rocket science, this is having the tools available, if required, to protect yourself and family from harm. In every conflict, every second counts.
    Cock & Locked or don't CC at all. IMHO...........Good luck!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    "Politely" and with all due "respect" and "sincerity", you need to grow a set.

My wife was raised AG and terrified of guns. But, when I decided to carry fulltime and get my CWP, I signed her up for CWP class as well. I told her she didn't have to "carry". But, I wanted her to learn "SAFE" gun handling methods JIC I was in trouble and she needed to secure my firearm.

Since that time she has been through more firearms training than I.

She can run multiple weapons platforms very proficiently.

She has paricipated in more shooting competitions.

She regularly assists in CWP classes helping other women overcome their fears.

She also has purchased more firearms and ammo than I have in the past few years.
    All I can say to that is "sweet!" She is doing more for the 'cause' than a lot of us put together and I suspect you are very proud of her. I enjoy hearing things like this, it does the soul good.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Ha the talk myself

I carry a 1911 also and explained to my wife the different safety mechanisms to her and demonstrated with a snap cap what it would take to make it go off. She hasn't said a word about it since. Also it helped to explain that in a firing situation I would be dead and shed get raped if I didn't do it that way.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    After reading some of your responses, my original response to this thread seems kinda silly now. This is another reason I like this forum, a lot of people here give great ideas and offer thinking that makes ya think!
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Take a hand gun class with her. You may know the info, but taking a class with her may go a long way. It worked with my wife.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast