the wife refuses to let me carry condition 1 - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the wife refuses to let me carry condition 1

Wow. Whatever happened to "concealed means concealed," and all that talk about how it's nobody's business if you're carrying?
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    Wow. Whatever happened to "concealed means concealed," and all that talk about how it's nobody's business if you're carrying?
    Are you referring to me? If so, the OP was not discussing leaving self defense at the door simply for a sign's sake, he was disclosing his wife's feeling toward carrying in condition one and was asking for our thoughts on it. Thusly, I commented on it. Then, after reading some arguements posted after mine, that made sense to me, I realized those comments are indeed valuable and are chock full o' common sense. Soooo, I then made a comment pretty much stating such, and then proceeded to show appreciation for the site.

Nothing happened to my staunch support for full rights, for non-infringements and for what I believe to be a common sense ideal that my life is more valuable than following a law or a sign that states otherwise.

If you were not referring to me, that's ok, no harm done either way.

I hope this helps you understand that there is more to life than my past posts. Have a great day!
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I wasn't responding directly to you, tuts, only to the thread in general.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

5. My wife asked me one day what condition one meant. When I told her she said, thsts how I carry all the time. Doesn't everyon? My response... I love you honey :-)

Nearly all the responses have been good and I agree with them. There is another option not yet discussed... and it involves you buying ANOTHER FIREARM!!!!! Woohoo!!! Get a REVOLVER! and then it shouldnt be an issue....

Quote Originally Posted by glockk23 View Post
    She is a big freak when it comes to guns. She is so scared of them. Iv explained the reason why carrying condition 1 will save your life and not doing so will get you badly hurt or killed. " I'm not going anywhere with you of you have a round in the chamber " what if you accidently shoot it". Iv told her the only way a firearm will fire is by your finger. And so on. Wish I could come up with a way to make her understand why I won't carry if my glock doesn't have a round ready to rock ....
    I wonder if your wife may have a confidence issue with you and your gun when she says, "What if YOU accidentally shoot it?" Perhaps spend some time teaching her how a gun works, and having her observe your proficiency with the weapon at the range?

I also think you might want to tell you wife something like this: I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. When you are threatened, I will stand between you and the threat--no matter how big the threat or how many. I am willing to lay down my life for you in order to keep you safe. Please don't increase the chances that I will die while trying to keep you safe by insisting that I carry my weapon of choice in way that will make my response to a threat slower, and thus our chances at survival lower.

I know overcoming anyone's fear is not easy, but sometimes giving the situation a different perspective helps.

Best of luck,

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    Nearly all the responses have been good and I agree with them. There is another option not yet discussed... and it involves you buying ANOTHER FIREARM!!!!! Woohoo!!! Get a REVOLVER! and then it shouldnt be an issue....
    Woohoo indeed! I think we now solved the problem. ;-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

9. Wow thanks for all of the replys. They really helped. I took her out to a buddys land and I showed her everything she would need to know about weapons. Then I showed her from a concealment point how long it takes to draw your weapon. Not long with practice but still. Then showed her without having to load a " invisible round " would take compaired too if I had to draw, rack the slide, aim somewhat then fire. She noticed the difference and I also showed her how the gun " isn't just going to fire on its own and how to make sure it doesn't happen. Then I ran her through some fake attacks and she realized she nor I could get a stab in or shot off with fake guns when a round is in the chamber. So she now doesn't mind it and she wanted too shoot my gun all day. Actually had to run to walmart for target ammo. So overall she is better educated and understands . Thanks for everyones help :))

10. If she's that paranoid and "scared" about guns, she's not likely to check to see if there's a round in the chamber. When dealing with someone this unreasonable, sometimes it's best to just tell them what they want to hear. Just for what it's worth, I NEVER unload my carry pistol except for an annual cleaning.
    The Grouch Attack is on the opposite side of the coin. I told about missing a chance to put a bullet in a varmint that's living in the barn because I didn't have a round chambered. She asked 'why not". I had to explain it was new pistol I didn't have enough confidence in to carry it that way.

Is there anyone whose opinions she values more than just you. Sometimes they will listen more intently to someone they respect on different subjects over and above being the husband in the house. As someone already replied, perhaps a firearm instructor or your CCWP instructor could talk to her. In my case I just carry a small KT P3AT in my pocket--out of site, out of her mind.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast