Can you carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you carry?

I have had a question about this issue. What happens to the records that the FFL fills out when you buy a gun? Is that accessible to the state? If it is that is a defacto registration for anything going through an FFL.

Is there a requirement to notify LE that you're armed in Missouri?

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    I have had a question about this issue. What happens to the records that the FFL fills out when you buy a gun? Is that accessible to the state? If it is that is a defacto registration for anything going through an FFL.
    Form 4473 stays in the FFL's files, and is not accessible by the state unless a gun is found at the scene of a crime. The LEO contacts the manufacturer. The manufacturer runs serial number; tracks sale to FFL. LEO looks at form 4473 and final purchaser's name.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Is there a requirement to notify LE that you're armed in Missouri?
    Plain and simple. No.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by alternety View Post
    It's not per se, but there have been attempts by the ATF to gobble up old records from FFLs that retire. As it is right now, it's not a backdoor registration.

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Plain and simple. No.
    And let's not start another, Do you identify the LEO, Hotel guy, taxi driver, UPS driver thread?

Florida Statutes 790.335 sub 2

(2) PROHIBITIONS.óNo state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, public or private, shall knowingly and willfully keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms.
    CWFL
    9MM
    38SPECIAL

For what it's worth, whenever I do a private sell (both of them) I ask the buyer to meet at my favorite gun store and I have the gun store do a 4473 and background check before exchanging funds. Just to cover my behind I even did it when selling a Ruger hunting pistol to my brother. At least here in Indianapolis my store only charges $10, and I'll pay that for the peace of mind of not possibly having ATF or police show up and ask about a purchase I made being used in a crime.

10. My good friend is a cop ran the serial # for me at the time of purchase, it is clean. So I am good to go there!

Thanks for all of the advice.
    -Tommy-
    Bersa 380cc - Springfield XD .40 - Hi-Pointe 9mm Assault Rifle

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_GT View Post
    Sorry, should of stated that in my original post. I live in Missouri.

And to my knowledge, you DO NOT have to register guns in the state of Missouri.
    You sound like you've been listening to stories by cowed St. Louis residents. Seriously, not only do you not HAVE to register guns in Missouri, there is no way that you could register them even if you wanted. None. RSMO 571, the chapter on illegal use of weapons, contains nothing about registering any weapons. RSMo. 23.751 preempts the entire field of firearms regulation to the state legislature with an exception allowing lesser political subdivisions (counties, cities, etc.) to regulate OPEN CARRY of weapons. Otherwise, there can be nothing more restrictive than in the state laws.

I understand that right after Missouri's CCW law passed, some St. Louis suburbs like Hazelwood were confiscating guns and demanding proof of ownership before returning them. I've been told that stopped after Chief Wolf received a letter from the A.G.'s office explaining just how much liability he was exposing himself and the village to for doing that.

So, short answer, carry any gun you want whether you own it, your boy friend owns it, your girl friend owns it, you borrowed it from your parents or in-laws, or whatever just so long as it's not reported as stolen.

RSMO-Chapter 571
    Section 21-750 Firearms legislation preemption by gene

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast