Can you carry?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you carry?

1. Can you carry?

I recently purchased a new pistol from a friend of mine. He is a Paramedic and great guy. I wanted another CCW gun that I can carry when wearing lighter clothing (Summer Clothes).

My question is this. If I am carrying this pistol, and for some reason get stopped, pulled over etc, and they run the Serial # on the gun and it does not come back to me, can I get in trouble, etc?

The seller and myself both filled out a bill of sale we made, (both have printed copies), we both signed/dated the bill of sale, and we both have copies of each others ID's attached to our bill of sale. Thought this would be the best way to do it, and the safest incase we ever needed it.

So, can I carry with this gun? Just thought I'd ask and see. I'd think it would be okay since I have our bill of sale of the firearm. But I wont have the bill of sale on me, or in my car. I guess I could if I needed to, but I'm not always in my car as I have (2) that I drive.

Thanks. All comments/input would be appreciated.
    -Tommy-
    Bersa 380cc - Springfield XD .40 - Hi-Pointe 9mm Assault Rifle

Come back to you? Are you living some place where you have to register your guns? Secondary to your question is should you happen to be stopped by a law officer that doesn't like weapons in the hands of responsible civilians, he can make your life pretty miserable for a while even if you your name did "came back" on the weapon.

In AZ, we don't register our weapons. When they run a check on the SN (if stopped), they are looking for a report that the weapon is "stolen" or somehow known to be used in a crime.

So a bit more information about your state would get you a better answer I suspect.
    I no longer trust my government to act on my behalf.

4. Sorry, should of stated that in my original post. I live in Missouri.

And to my knowledge, you DO NOT have to register guns in the state of Missouri.
    -Tommy-

Well... Yes and No. There have been a few stories near KC where officers were giving CCWrs some grief. "These are stories, but I don't have a reason to disbelieve the teller." However, for the most part no problem.
    Do you carry a receipt for your pocket knife, lap top, cell phone? Nope. And not going to now either. As noted above, they are looking to see if it is stolen or used in a crime.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
    YMMV.

Psalm 82:3-5

6. Gun was not stolen previously, or used in a crime.

Worst case scenario from what I have browsed upon, they would take the gun and I show proof of purchase at a later time and get the gun back.

YMMV, thank you for your response.
    -Tommy-

If the gun was not registered as stolen it's not listed in any database (provided your State does not require registration as you said yours does not). So you are good.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    It might be that any questions could be cleared up upon being stopped by an LEO if you simply showed your CCW badge. ;-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    It might be that any questions could be cleared up upon being stopped by an LEO if you simply showed your CCW badge. ;-)
    Now now, he asked a serious question. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    We don't need no stinkin badges!

I believe you will be fine. Like others have said, they will only run the serial number of the gun, to see
    if it's stolen or was used in a crime.
    NRA Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Basic Shotgun Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast