Visiting South Carolina
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Visiting South Carolina

  1. #1

    Visiting South Carolina

    I知 a resident of Pennsylvania and have a valid Pennsylvania license to carry firearms. I知 going to be driving to South Carolina for a few days. I used to live in South Carolina and have a S.C concealed carry permit but it is no longer valid since I am no longer a S.C resident. I知 going to have my 9mm with me on the drive South because all the states I値l be driving through honor my PA license except South Carolina they do not, my question is when I get to S.C? What I知 going to do while I知 in South Carolina is unload and lock my weapon then put the firearm in it痴 original box. Also separate the ammunition from the firearm. Short of leaving my weapon home I知 not sure what else I could do. Any other suggestions?
    Thank you

  2.   
  3. There are no grey areas concerning SC gun laws. Lock it and leave it. Carry mase and a good knife.

  4. Welcome back to South Carolina. When you reach S.C. take the weapon out of your holster and put it in your glove box or any other closed console of your vehicle. You may keep it there for your entire stay or take it into your hotel room while you are there. Seems that having had a SC CWP you would know the handgun laws. Bill

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleup View Post
    Welcome back to South Carolina. When you reach S.C. take the weapon out of your holster and put it in your glove box or any other closed console of your vehicle. You may keep it there for your entire stay or take it into your hotel room while you are there. Seems that having had a SC CWP you would know the handgun laws. Bill
    Good answer and I wonder where people get all these weird ideas about SC law concerning permits. If in SC just keep your gun in the console or glove box if you don't have a CWP. Carry it with you when you go to your motel room or onto private property. As you say if some has a SC CWP, although no longer valid, they should be aware of this. Also SC makes no distinction about loaded vs. unloaded so if you can have your gun with you there is no need to unload it.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by longfastglass View Post
    There are no grey areas concerning SC gun laws. Lock it and leave it. Carry mase and a good knife.
    But make sure the mace consiter is not over the legal size. Yes, there is a legal limit to how big of an OC or mace can you can carry in this state. I think it is a ridiculous law, BTW.

  7. #6
    and for the record the glove box does not have to be lockable.

    SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

    It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

    {snip**

    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

    (a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

    (b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23; {licenses by SC**

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    and for the record the glove box does not have to be lockable.
    And it doesn't need to have gloves in it either.

  9. Unload and store in a case (hard or soft) out of reach while driving through MD--no reciprocity in communist MD.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Good answer and I wonder where people get all these weird ideas about SC law concerning permits. If in SC just keep your gun in the console or glove box if you don't have a CWP. Carry it with you when you go to your motel room or onto private property. As you say if some has a SC CWP, although no longer valid, they should be aware of this. Also SC makes no distinction about loaded vs. unloaded so if you can have your gun with you there is no need to unload it.
    Sorry if I wasted your time. I thought that but justed wanted to check with others.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by old salt View Post
    Sorry if I wasted your time. I thought that but justed wanted to check with others.
    You did not waste my time at all, I am just amazed at the number of people that assume that because their CWP is not valid in SC that the restrictions fall into the NJ category. It is a lot better to ask questions even if they have been answered many times before than to be wrong and really screw up.

    I know that SC has a very bad reputation for 2A rights due to the reciprocity laws but in reality many of those rights have been preserved. I was just surprised that someone as knowlegeable as you about laws that had a SC CWP at one time had forgotten the basic law of carrying a gun in SC. That being inside the glove box or console is OK. It has been pretty much that way for at least the last 40 years I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast