Carry Ammo - Single Type vs. Mixed - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry Ammo - Single Type vs. Mixed

JSDinTexas Guest
    JHP and nothing else on the street - Hydra-Shoks. I use ball only for target practice.

Same ammo. make sure your gun likes it....Allot of autos can be picky....

Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
    Same ammo. make sure your gun likes it....Allot of autos can be picky....
    Especially if they are not Glocks.

I mix my ammo when i carry in bear/ mountain lion country. I go FMJ in chamber, then HP HP FMJ FMJ HP FMJ FMJ in my 1911... And Rubber buckshot chambered, #9, slug, 00, 00 in my 12 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    I settled on bonded Golded Sabre's for the Glocks, .40 cal. It's proven against zombies in post shooting analysis' and our local PD uses them which will reduce any "he used horrible, maiming death bullets" argument from any DA or such.
    Okay now! I have this conversation running through my head and any way I play it, it ends up with a Sheriff at my front door. "Hello, Sheriff's department? I'd like to know what kind of ammo your deputies carry so if I get involved with a defensive shooting I'm not accused of using nastier bullets than you do."

I think it's a great idea and would serve to take the prosecutorial wind out of the DA's sails but,how did you come up with the data on the ammo your local PD is using? Is it public info or do you know someone? I'd like to do the same thing on my end, but you know how the conversation would go!
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I don't see the sense in mixing ammo in the same magazine or cylinder. Too much data to keep straight in an adrenaline situation. But if you insist on doing it, I would suggest you make sure all of the terminal ballistics of the ammo is the same so you will have the same impact pint regardless of which round happens to come up.

Most gun manufacturers quantify their firearms with a particular bullet, powder and charge type. Especially those guns made with fixed sights. If you pick a particular weight, style and manufacturer of bullet and aet your sights accordingly, the point of impact would be different with a different load.

It was said many times here, consistency is critical when it comes to ammo and performance. Purposely having inconsistent ammo in your gun at the time when you most need it, IMHO, is just asking for a problem.

Now if your talking shotgun, this is a different story.

Only one type per gun. HSTs in my M&P, gold dots in my Seecamp, and hydra shoks in my .38.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Especially if they are not Glocks.
    Ohhh... here we go! MY Glock's better than you gun, my Glock's better than your's! My Glock's better because it eats everything! My Glock's better than yours! (sung to the Kennel Ration song)

You just had to stir it up, didn't you!

Carry the best ammo you can find that will cycle in your gun. In the city that will be HP while in the woods that will be brass jacketed ball for penetration. And before you ask, no, I do not think going up against a bear with a pistol is a good idea. Whether it be a critter or a BG I will always prefer a long gun but I normally carry a pistol and will use what is available. Having picked what I consider the best round for the situation, why would I want to mix in a round that was less effective. When going between city and remote I will have a spare mag of the other.

The guy talking about the Kel-Tec KSG had it right. Slugs in one magazine and buck in the other. Whether bear or BG you are ready. When Glock comes out with their double stack dual magazine pistol I'll mix ammo in my pistol but not in my magazine.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

I don't see the use of mixing ammo in most circumstances but I do carry different ammo in one situation. In summertime I sometimes carry an LCP .380. My magazine is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoints. I believe the .380 is a marginal SD round; if I ever get in a situaion bad enough to allow time empty the magazine and reload, my spare magazine is loaded with 100gr solid flat points on the theory that if the HP rounds didn't work, maybe a few rounds of solids are needed for greater penetration.

In my 9mm and .45 I use Gold Dots and don't mix ammo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast