Carry Ammo - Single Type vs. Mixed - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: Carry Ammo - Single Type vs. Mixed

  1. #31
    I do mix ammo of the same type in my magazine. I shoot 9mm. My first round, which is in the chamber, is Winchester PDX1 147 grain JHP. The next round, in the magazine, is a Hornady 124 grain TAP FPD JHP. The magazine is staggered in that pattern to capacity. Both my carry weapons are very happy firing both of these rounds. Here is my reasoning. I will most likely be forced to use my weapons in an urban type situation. I assume the bad guy will have some type of cover to get behind. The PDX1 gives me superior barrier penetration without (supposedly) over penetration. The Hornady gives superior ballistic coefficient, but less penetration ability. Look at it this way, if the bad guy is behind something not to terribly thick, I walk away, he doesn't. If he's dumb enough to stand out in the open, I walk away, he doesn't no matter which round is in the chamber. If the new Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain runs thru my weapons like the TAP FPD, that will replace the PDX1 as it has superior performance to the PDX1 in the FBI tests.

    As others have pointed out in this thread, doing that involves differences. The differences must be overcome with practice, both mental and physical. You have to run mental drills through your brain as well as physically fire the mixture. If you do enough of both, you won't have to worry about it in the middle of a dangerous situation. Mental conditioning and muscle memory will take over.

    At the end of the day, a person has to do what they think works best for themselves. This works best for me and may not be what you are looking for.

  2.   
  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    286
    It looks as if the idea of putting a "mix" of ammo in the same mag as a foolish idea has been made. It has never crossed my mind to do this. Pretend that you never heard of the idea and go on with reasonable training and education. Good question and it's good to get it flushed out before anyone else gets this idea in their head.

  4. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    There is no reason at all to carry mixed HP & Ball!

    It's a dumb idea spawned by mall-ninja types who are trying to play "Tactical SF."

    If you have time to change ammo to adjust for different tactical situations, you probably should have run while you could!

    All premium self defense loads perform adequately against most ordinary barrier materials.

    -Doc
    You mean like tracers and incendiary rounds mixed? Yeah, that would be real tactical!

    But seriously I thought about the question for a while and I really can't think of any advantage for this practice.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldekard View Post
    I do mix ammo of the same type in my magazine. I shoot 9mm. My first round, which is in the chamber, is Winchester PDX1 147 grain JHP. The next round, in the magazine, is a Hornady 124 grain TAP FPD JHP. The magazine is staggered in that pattern to capacity. Both my carry weapons are very happy firing both of these rounds. Here is my reasoning. I will most likely be forced to use my weapons in an urban type situation. I assume the bad guy will have some type of cover to get behind. The PDX1 gives me superior barrier penetration without (supposedly) over penetration. The Hornady gives superior ballistic coefficient, but less penetration ability. Look at it this way, if the bad guy is behind something not to terribly thick, I walk away, he doesn't. If he's dumb enough to stand out in the open, I walk away, he doesn't no matter which round is in the chamber. If the new Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain runs thru my weapons like the TAP FPD, that will replace the PDX1 as it has superior performance to the PDX1 in the FBI tests.

    As others have pointed out in this thread, doing that involves differences. The differences must be overcome with practice, both mental and physical. You have to run mental drills through your brain as well as physically fire the mixture. If you do enough of both, you won't have to worry about it in the middle of a dangerous situation. Mental conditioning and muscle memory will take over.

    At the end of the day, a person has to do what they think works best for themselves. This works best for me and may not be what you are looking for.
    I would respectfully suggest to consider that if you intend to shoot thru barriers you may have a problem explaining in court why you had to shoot at all. They may say that you had a clear chance to get out of the confrontation.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Central N.Car.
    Posts
    534
    My handgun is primarily a "get off me" weapon. It holds hollow points even in the spare mag. When hunting I use a 357 as a side arm with jacketed HPs in the first three and partitions in the other 3. Right tool for the job.

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I would respectfully suggest to consider that if you intend to shoot thru barriers you may have a problem explaining in court why you had to shoot at all. They may say that you had a clear chance to get out of the confrontation.
    Thank you sir, I am fully aware of my duty to retreat, as I am fully aware that a threat to my life may not go away because I wish it to or that a retreat route may not be available to me because I'm being fired on by a person who is trying to kill me from behind cover.

    While I may fervently wish, should the situation be forced upon me, that the person trying to take my life is mentally deficient enough to stand out in the open while trying to kill me, I also entertain the possibility that he or she may not be totally deficient, and on the discovery that I am also armed (because if you're shooting at me you will find out I'm armed) will seek a position that will allow them cover and a firing lane to my position (which will be behind as much cover as I can get to and I'll be hoping this nut job is not firing FMJ). I am confident that shooting at someone who is trying to kill me from behind cover and based on my military experience that I am aware of the possibility and loaded my weapon to defend myself in the situation, I fully believe that I am reacting/acting reasonably within the situation. Thus I believe that I am not exceeding my legal burden of "acting as a reasonable person" in this scenario.

    I respectfully suggest to you sir, that you have not considered all the possibilities regarding the interactions of an armed engagement.

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldekard View Post
    Thank you sir, I am fully aware of my duty to retreat, as I am fully aware that a threat to my life may not go away because I wish it to or that a retreat route may not be available to me because I'm being fired on by a person who is trying to kill me from behind cover.

    While I may fervently wish, should the situation be forced upon me, that the person trying to take my life is mentally deficient enough to stand out in the open while trying to kill me, I also entertain the possibility that he or she may not be totally deficient, and on the discovery that I am also armed (because if you're shooting at me you will find out I'm armed) will seek a position that will allow them cover and a firing lane to my position (which will be behind as much cover as I can get to and I'll be hoping this nut job is not firing FMJ). I am confident that shooting at someone who is trying to kill me from behind cover and based on my military experience that I am aware of the possibility and loaded my weapon to defend myself in the situation, I fully believe that I am reacting/acting reasonably within the situation. Thus I believe that I am not exceeding my legal burden of "acting as a reasonable person" in this scenario.

    I respectfully suggest to you sir, that you have not considered all the possibilities regarding the interactions of an armed engagement.
    Probably not but then again that's not exactly possible anyway, is it? Consider ALL possible situations ahead of time? ;-)

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Probably not but then again that's not exactly possible anyway, is it? Consider ALL possible situations ahead of time? ;-)
    Agreed. But some can consider far more than others based on experience. ;-)

  10. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldekard View Post
    Agreed. But some can consider far more than others based on experience. ;-)
    I'll be honest with you, I am still not convinced it's a great idea but your argument does have some merit. ;-)

  11. I have been known to mix snake shot with hollow-points in my 38 when playing in the woods and not wanting to carry multiple guns. I figure that if I have any situation in the woods that requires firing, it will be rapid and there won't be others around to worry about innocent bystanders. In a true carry situation, I go with nothing but good hollow-points.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast