CHL holder causes problems for "occupy", gets arrested - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CHL holder causes problems for "occupy", gets arrested

1. Actually, I agree with the *origin* of the occupy movement, it's just that the movement here in Portland seems to have been derailed and turned into "hippie camp", as I call it. Hopefully they can get organized again, and make it something with political statement again.

I see the movement as very similar to the Tea Party, another movement I supported when it first started. But the Tea Party got taken over by extremists with different plans (the Koch brothers,) and now its public image is one I can't support. I'm sure there are still people who call themselves "Tea Party Patriots" with whom I would agree. But they need to clarify their message and return to what they started as. (The group trying to convince small businesses to sabotage the economy *SOLELY* to punish one political party is completely ridiculous.)

I'm just worried that the same thing will happen to Occupy. (And by some reports, it's already starting to happen at Occupy Wall Street...)

Since he didn't draw the gun and (even in the Oregon portion of the Portland/Seattle Peoples State) a CHL holder can open carry, I really doubt he will get convicted.

Down in S. Oregon (at least in my county), he wouldn't even get arrested.

To refer to another posting... prime example of 'brandishing' and he got what he deserved.

Sounds like the type of knucklehead I wouldn't want to be associated with.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Since he didn't draw the gun and (even in the Oregon portion of the Portland/Seattle Peoples State) a CHL holder can open carry, I really doubt he will get convicted.

Which begs the question: If, even in an OC state, a person with a concealed weapon, in this case, lifts his shirt to show off the weapon in a fashion short of "hey! I got a new gun. You wanna see it?", is he guilty of menacing? What about brandishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post
    Actually, I agree with the *origin* of the occupy movement, it's just that the movement here in Portland seems to have been derailed and turned into "hippie camp", as I call it. Hopefully they can get organized again, and make it something with political statement again.

I see the movement as very similar to the Tea Party, another movement I supported when it first started. But the Tea Party got taken over by extremists with different plans (the Koch brothers,) and now its public image is one I can't support. I'm sure there are still people who call themselves "Tea Party Patriots" with whom I would agree. But they need to clarify their message and return to what they started as. (The group trying to convince small businesses to sabotage the economy *SOLELY* to punish one political party is completely ridiculous.)

I'm just worried that the same thing will happen to Occupy. (And by some reports, it's already starting to happen at Occupy Wall Street...)
    I'm not starting a fight here, I actually agree with most of the 99ers also, even though I do not agree with the founders of the OWS movement. Did you their demands? Clearly the founders of the movement are from academia and have no clue how the economic world really operates. With the invasion by Soros and the unions the movement is being perverted by extremism, just like the TEA Party.

It wasn't until I read an article from one of the late-comers to that movement that I understood what "99%" stood for. When I saw these people on the tube I thought I had noting to do with these morons, then I came to understand the "99%" stand for the 99% of the population that are not Billionaires. Now it make sense.

The movement is still full of kids that want their school loans forgiven and homeowners that think the government owes them a bailout but I believe (not a proven fact, I just like to believe) that the majority of the people are frustrated with the direction our nation has taken and want a change to come.

From my stand point I agree. A change needs to come.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post

In this case it would depend on the "totality of circumstances". Dude gets into a verbal confrontation with a couple of other dudes. The dude then realizes that it's highly likely he's gonna get his @$$ handed to him. To "even the score" the dude displays his firearm. This would be more than enough in most jurisdictions for him to get arrested.

Carrying a firearm is a HUGE responsibility which comes with many other related responsibilities. The firearm is for SELF DEFENSE. If you willfully engage in a shouting match and let it escalate to the point that you're about to get your @$$ whipped, then you have very poor judgment and have no business carrying. A lot of CC folks need to learn to walk away. It's taken me many years, however I'm at the point where I'll do whatever I can to get away from trouble and avoid having to draw my firearm.

Bottom line is the guy deserved to get hooked. Will he get convicted? Who knows. Will it cost him a bunch of time and money? Certainly. Would he have been better off walking away? Most likely.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Which begs the question: If, even in an OC state, a person with a concealed weapon, in this case, lifts his shirt to show off the weapon in a fashion short of "hey! I got a new gun. You wanna see it?", is he guilty of menacing? What about brandishing?
    Not sure about other places, but one must draw the weapon to "brandish" here.

Hence the disorderly conduct charge...he'll either contest and it will most likely get dropped (like DC charges Portland has tried on CHL holders OCing) or he won't bother and will pay a fine...and keep his license either way. Non domestic misdemeanors aren't grounds to pull the ticket here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12