CHL holder causes problems for "occupy", gets arrested
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHL holder causes problems for "occupy", gets arrested

1. CHL holder causes problems for "occupy", gets arrested

Portland Police Press Release

Long story short: Someone went to go pester "hippie camp" here in Portland, got called a racial slur, flashed his (legally CHL carried) gun.

Not going to help CHL holders there, bub. Now he's charged and can lose his CHL.

Regardless of your view of the "Occupy" movement (and here in Portland, it has pretty much lost all significance as part of "Occupy," and is now pretty much just, as I call it, "hippie camp,") flashing your gun is STUPID. Racial slur or not (what about those comparisons to the Tea Party?) if you're not being physically threatened, DON'T PULL YOUR GUN!

(And if you ARE in a situation that you're being threatened, don't flash it - PULL IT!)

Edit: Ah, just saw a news story that included video of the incident. Apparently the Occupy people came and confronted HIM after he started taking pictures. He argued back. They didn't show much of the argument, just that they were arguing (amateur video.) Apparently he was then called a racial slur (he is black,) then "flashed" his gun. It is unclear what level of "flash" it was. He was booked on "Disorderly Conduct".

Still stupid to flash the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post

Long story short: Someone went to go pester "hippie camp" here in Portland, got called a racial slur, flashed his (legally CHL carried) gun.

Not going to help CHL holders there, bub. Now he's charged and can lose his CHL.

Regardless of your view of the "Occupy" movement (and here in Portland, it has pretty much lost all significance as part of "Occupy," and is now pretty much just, as I call it, "hippie camp,") flashing your gun is STUPID. Racial slur or not (what about those comparisons to the Tea Party?) if you're not being physically threatened, DON'T PULL YOUR GUN!

(And if you ARE in a situation that you're being threatened, don't flash it - PULL IT!)

Edit: Ah, just saw a news story that included video of the incident. Apparently the Occupy people came and confronted HIM after he started taking pictures. He argued back. They didn't show much of the argument, just that they were arguing (amateur video.) Apparently he was then called a racial slur (he is black,) then "flashed" his gun. It is unclear what level of "flash" it was. He was booked on "Disorderly Conduct".

The idiot is lucky that "disorderly conduct" was the only thing he was charged with. :-(
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Maybe it is a set-up to sully the legally gun-totting community? another small ploy to make a big excuse later on to move to remove our guns? Baby steps... Who knows? These "OCCUPY...OCCUPY...OCCUPY..." are really well-organized. The welfare people are "there for the food", the street beggars do not have to beg for food and shelter -- they are among their kinds -- hence there is no rhyme and only stupid reasons why they are involved in the "revolt"? It's all crazy out there. Just my thoughts...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

5. In Arizona, the charge would be Misconduct Involving a Weapon. There was an incident in Pierce County, WA a while back. Washington is an Open Carry state, but some LEOs don't seem to understand what Open Carry means. A gentleman was getting his daily latte at Starbuck's, as he had been doing for two years, wearing his 9mm on his hip. a deputy sheriff approached and demanded his ID. The man said the deputy had no reson to harass him, as he was doing nothing wrong. Here, the story gets murky. According to KIRO TV News, the man was arrested for Disorderly Conduct. And the spokesman for the department stated the police have the right to investigate a possible threat. I made contact with the department, seeking follow-up to the story. I was told there was no arrest, the deputy checked his ID and went on his way. The TV coverage and statements by witnesses disagree, but that is the official story. My question (s) (I have a few) is: How does a citizen exercising his rights constitute a threat? Why is the man's (or my) weapon a threat? Is my sidearm a threat where the depity's isn't? I am a former LEO, have been through more background checks than the majority of the population, and have had CCW licensea in Arizona and have a CPL in Waashington. My weapon, just like the one the deputy carries is sworn to the protection of myself or an innocent third party. There must be something in the water here in Washington, but we have had five or six police officers murdered recently, and a number of shootings, including an armored car guard shot in the head in a WalMart. I do not intend to be a victim.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post

Wait a second, the people from the "moron" thread say its perfectly fine to wave your gun around...
    Once again to the confused people out there, guns are not for pointing at people, flashing at people, or verbally threatening people with, its called menacing/ brandishing.

Agreed that if it was an intentional flash, it was foolish. If it was unintentional, it was careless.

I do not flash a weapon even if involved in verbal contest, if under physical threat weapon will be pulled while speed dialing 911.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Maybe it is a set-up to sully the legally gun-totting community? another small ploy to make a big excuse later on to move to remove our guns? Baby steps... Who knows? These "OCCUPY...OCCUPY...OCCUPY..." are really well-organized. The welfare people are "there for the food", the street beggars do not have to beg for food and shelter -- they are among their kinds -- hence there is no rhyme and only stupid reasons why they are involved in the "revolt"? It's all crazy out there. Just my thoughts...
    Good thought there on the possibility of a 'set up'. Kinda like Fast & Furious that was intended to hang American gun owners but went bust, but this mighta been a F&F light having been only one guy, if one subscribes to the idea of this being a set up.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

10. eh, I have to walk by the "Occupy Portland" camp every day on my way to work. The camp is definitely a mix of "serious protesters", "general hippies", and "homeless camping in an area they know isn't going to be kicked out soon." The problem (for them) is that the serious protesters are outnumbered. They exist, and from what a co-worker who goes down there (as a serious protester) tells me, they *ARE* starting to get their act together, but it's still an uphill battle for the serious ones.

I also see plenty of anti-Occupy people wandering by. I *MIGHT* have seen this offender before, and if it is who I saw before, I'm pretty sure this isn't a set up. I mean, even if it were a cause I was completely for, I wouldn't risk going to jail and losing my CHL just to make opponents of my cause look bad. Going to jail to support a cause is one thing, going to jail to frame a cause is something else. (Plus, I don't think Occupy (at least here in Portland,) has expressed any anti-gun sentiment, so it wouldn't make sense for a CHL holder to sabotage CHL holders in this attempt. The 'counter-protester' hasn't even publicly expressed any alternate-to-Occupy views publicly, so it's not like he is obviously aligned with any other specific cause.

Now if he hadn't flashed a gun, and just got in an old-fashioned fistfight, while holding a "Tea Party Patriot" sign (or other obvious flamboyantly-displaying-a-counter-group sign,) then I might buy that he was a set-up.

You may not agree with those so called "hippie Camp" people or the occupy movement but, they have just as much a right to do what they are doing as we the concealed or open carry people do what we do. As a matter of fact; we have more of a responsibility because we know that certain people would like to take away what we have. I happen to be a black person also and for this guy to pull up his shirt and show his gun was STUPID. Legally, it could be considered brandishing. I am not going to do anything to give an opportunity to have my CPL/CCW taken away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast