Permit Holder Chases and Shoots Armed Robber - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Permit Holder Chases and Shoots Armed Robber

BG is running away call 911 assist the lady and move on you are not the police, oh yea where were they again, am being told all the time by the anti gun states they are there to protect you, 8 in CA and how many others where police are not present, protect yourself and your family.

If the facts, which got fuzzy in the story at the point of take-down, turn out to be that the GG hollered for the BG to halt and the BG turned and fired, or reasonably appeared to be trying to fire at the GG, then he may well be OK with a self-defense defense. Absent something of that nature, the GG may find himself falling back on the time-honored Southern defense that the BG "just needed killin'" and hoping the jury engages in jury nullification - declining to convict under the circumstances by voting not guilty. Either is a precarious defense position. Better to have assisted the victim and protect her until the Professionals arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by glendenbreed View Post
    Say he dosnt chase the perp down and the perp tries to make a second robbery on your wife and he decides she doesn't get to live... I couldn't live with myself knowing I had the chance to stop a man that's ends up killing someone..
    I couldn't live with myself being dead.

I'm just not willing to put myself in extreme danger in order to apprehend someone who's ceased to be a direct threat. That's the job of the police and in this case I'll aid them any way I can short of putting myself in the line of fire.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLawyer View Post
    If the facts, which got fuzzy in the story at the point of take-down, turn out to be that the GG hollered for the BG to halt and the BG turned and fired, or reasonably appeared to be trying to fire at the GG, then he may well be OK with a self-defense defense. Absent something of that nature, the GG may find himself falling back on the time-honored Southern defense that the BG "just needed killin'" and hoping the jury engages in jury nullification - declining to convict under the circumstances by voting not guilty. Either is a precarious defense position. Better to have assisted the victim and protect her until the Professionals arrive.
    I have no sympathy for the deceased. I have no problem with what the shooter did from a legal standpoint (good for him). I just think the guy was foolish for putting himself in a position where he could very well have been the dead guy, or at the whim of a prosecutor.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Glad the shooter is OK but he's crazy. The perp is running away - I call 911 and tend to the woman as best I can while waiting for police. Give the police a description and go home. As far as I'm concerned, my "job" is done as soon as the BG takes off. He may very well have opened (and dumped) a massive, legal can of worms on himself aside from the fact that he put himself in great danger. In most states a perp is no longer considered an immediate threat if he's retreating and not pointing the gun at you. In that case the rules change drastically.
    Agreed. Agreed, again, to satisfy the 15 charactor minimum...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

7. Minneapolis Star Tribune has the story. The shooter was questioned and released. I don't agree with him chasing the guy, but I hope he gets off. Grand Jury will decide if charges are necessary or not.

This guy is probably going to get charged... unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall:237798
    Quote Originally Posted by glendenbreed View Post
    Say he dosnt chase the perp down and the perp tries to make a second robbery on your wife and he decides she doesn't get to live... I couldn't live with myself knowing I had the chance to stop a man that's ends up killing someone..
    I couldn't live with myself being dead.

I'm just not willing to put myself in extreme danger in order to apprehend someone who's ceased to be a direct threat. That's the job of the police and in this case I'll aid them any way I can short of putting myself in the line of fire.
    There are worse things than dying. Like knowing you could have saved lives but were to selfish to take a stand.

Yes it is what the police get paid to do but imagine a world where every good Guy only looks out for himself. Only way to have a safe community is for all good guys to look out for eachother under 1 common goal and that is to help anyone in need.
    That being said I dont know how I would react to this situation but I would hope I would act the same way this Guy did hopefully without having to use my weapon.
    I can tell you how I have reacted in similar situations and it was to help in anyway I could.

Chasing a perp after witnessing a crime? Nope. Not me. These knees tell me it's not a good idea. My efforts would be better spent giving aid to the elderly victim. A 911 call and a good description of the perp and a general direction he was fleeing provided to the responding LEO is a good enough response from me.

I'm too old to run and too young to die. That's why I carry.

11. The fear of being charged with a crime would have kept me from giving Chase. Would I love to unload a mag full of slugs into his face? Yup. But that same fear that kept me from beating the crap out of everyone that crossed my path as a youth is the same fear that allows me to feel comfortable carrying. Should that guy be charged? Absolutely not, I'd give him a medal but if they did that then that's sending a message saying we can all act like Bruce Willis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast