Permit Holder Chases and Shoots Armed Robber
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Permit Holder Chases and Shoots Armed Robber

1. Permit Holder Chases and Shoots Armed Robber

This is on the homepage of KARE11.com this morning.

__________________________________________________ _

Robbery suspect fatally shot in Minneapolis

MINNEAPOLIS - Minneapolis police say a man who witnessed an elderly woman being robbed and pistol-whipped shot and killed her attacker.

Authorities say the armed robber confronted the woman in the parking lot of a grocery store about 10 p.m. Thursday, took her purse and hit her in the head with his gun. A man who witnessed the robbery chased the suspect and shot him. When police arrived, the witness told officers he had a permit to carry a gun and that he had shot the armed robbery suspect during a confrontation outside a nearby restaurant. He told officers where they could find his handgun. He was detained for questioning.

Police say the robber who was fatally shot was in his 20s. Investigators say they found his gun near where the shooting took place.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Glad the shooter is OK but he's crazy. The perp is running away - I call 911 and tend to the woman as best I can while waiting for police. Give the police a description and go home. As far as I'm concerned, my "job" is done as soon as the BG takes off. He may very well have opened (and dumped) a massive, legal can of worms on himself aside from the fact that he put himself in great danger. In most states a perp is no longer considered an immediate threat if he's retreating and not pointing the gun at you. In that case the rules change drastically.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

4. Yeah, dumb. I chased a perp once in the adrenaline rush. Won't be doing that again. (No, nothing bad happened, but realized how stupid it was to do.)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall:237734
    Glad the shooter is OK but he's crazy. The perp is running away - I call 911 and tend to the woman as best I can while waiting for police. Give the police a description and go home. As far as I'm concerned, my "job" is done as soon as the BG takes off. He may very well have opened (and dumped) a massive, legal can of worms on himself aside from the fact that he put himself in great danger. In most states a perp is no longer considered an immediate threat if he's retreating and not pointing the gun at you. In that case the rules change drastically.
    Yeah, it do seem like a bad move on his part. To chase someone down then shoot them can in no way be called self defense. But then I'm no Lawyer.

I believe there was a case in California (Noted: an anti-gun state) where the victim of an armed robbery decided to go looking for the perp. He found him sitting in his car a couple of blocks away. In the ensuing confrontation the robber was shot. The shooter was convicted of some degree of murder/manslaughter because the state decided that he had become the agressor by chasing down someone who'd ceased to be a threat to him.

I don't necessarily agree with the state's decision in this case but the "chaser" in both cases is just dumb, crazy, or a little of both for doing so.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Maybe he was chasing him down to make a citizens arrest and he turns the gun at him...
    I'd buy it.

Say he dosnt chase the perp down and the perp tries to make a second robbery on your wife and he decides she doesn't get to live... I couldn't live with myself knowing I had the chance to stop a man that's ends up killing someone..

So even if I do chase him down I try to restrain him without drawing my weapon.
    Just because I carry a gun doesn't mean I can't solve a violent act without it. It just means that if I should ever need it, it's there.

Of course I've called the police at that point

Good discussion. For reference, here are the applicable Minnesota statutes:
    Reference: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609

609.06 AUTHORIZED USE OF FORCE.

Subdivision 1.When authorized.

Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 2, reasonable force may be used upon or toward the person of another without the other's consent when the following circumstances exist or the actor reasonably believes them to exist:
    (3) when used by any person in resisting or aiding another to resist an offense against the person

609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

-----

So in MY mind (as a layman / non-attorney), it seems that if the samaritan is taken to court, he could argue that:

1) The initial use of force was justified, and the standard of "aiding another to resist an offense agains the person" was met.

2) Letting the BG escape, still armed, after witnessing the way he robbed and beat the victim, would meet the standard of "exposing the actor or another to great bodily harm or death."

If the DA presses charges, let's hope that his attorney can successfully make these arguments at trial.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

10. I'm from MN and will be following this one closely. I think he's in quite a bit of trouble. He did us all a favor by removing a dirtbag off the streets, but he may be going to jail. If it's not reported nationally, I'll update on here. There has to be more to the story.

11. This story can be followed on defensivecarry.com !!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast