Congress Moves Closer to Restoring a Key Second Amendment Freedom - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congress Moves Closer to Restoring a Key Second Amendment Freedom

On a different thread I saw the same stuff from people who accuse those of us who support 'national right to carry' as ignorant, stupid, somehow being un-American, and even resort to name calling. They claim 'Constutional-carry' is the only thing they will settle for. I wish that permits and all that paper work in owning a gun was not in existance. But it is! Will any of these individules be willing to ignore the laws and go to jail? I challenge those individules to strap on a loaded handgun, put on a long coat to conceal it, go to New York City, find a police officer, show him(or her) your loaded concealed handgun. Guess where you will be spending the night and possibly many nights? You can plead the 2nd amendment all you want, it will get you nowhere. Is this right? NO! But it took a long time to get in the mess we are in and it will take time to get out of it. The National Right to Carry Bill starts to reverse the way we were going. Saying you will settle for nothing less than 'Constutional Carry' is your business but if you are planning to wait for it on a National level you and your great-grandchildren are in for a long wait. If you do not want to support this bill, please do NOT complain about the carry laws in another state that if you violate can land you up in jail. I support the proposed National Right To Carry Law as a positive thing that will show the country that the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens, not hot headed idiots who are willing to shoot first and ask questions later as the media portrays us.

3. Passing this bill will surely make DC stop whining about being made a state! The place where all the history legislature and power of this great nation resides does not allow CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by GTH View Post
    Passing this bill will surely make DC stop whining about being made a state!
    Not sure I follow the logic on that one. Please elaborate.

I'm not sure about Washington DC as a State... but the crime rate is tremendously high. Maybe if it became a State and the people were allowed to carry it might give pause to crime. Heck, there may already be a number of Congressmen and Senators that already carry.
    God, Family, Country and Self

Part of the reason I am for this bill is?, It's one more step toward constitutional carry, Once we are allowed to carry in all state, even hopefully some day Illinois, is, we may not need to even get a CCW, with any luck, Little by little we gottin' almost every state to allow carry, one way or the other, wether with a
    CCW, or constitutional, We've got one more to go, keep fighting, and some day we can prevail, getting back to the constitution, The one thing i dont have a problem with is the background check, We still need to keep the weapons out of the BG's hands, If there are caught with a concealed firearm, then they can be punished for the offence

Mayor Bloomberg's comments on the proposed legislation:

I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country, but, most of all, here in New York, to reaffirm the states' rights affirmed through the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

The Tenth Amendment was enacted by folks who remembered what it was like to be under the thumb of a distant, all-powerful government. Unfortunately, the protections it guarantees have melted away over time.

Since the U.S. Constitution was first ratified, the federal government has slowly, steadily and successfully eroded the notion of state's rights. The Founding Fathers understood that a one-size-fits-all approach just doesn't work, especially in a country the size of America, and it certainly doesn't work for New York.

When Washington interferes with our proven approaches, experience tells us what the outcome will be, and it isn't pretty.

Like the Constitution and the other 26 amendments, the 10th Amendment has been the subject of extended debate, by scholars and lawyers of every sort, but I come down on the side that favors state's rights over unrestrained federal power.

I believe the Constitution does not empower the federal to override state laws without restraint.

I believe the federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state.

New Yorkers need to ask themselves a question: do they side with those in Washington who are pursuing this unprecedented expansion of power? Or do they believe in the individual rights and responsibilities laid out in our foundational documents?

New Yorkers need to stand up and be heard, because this state of affairs cannot continue indefinitely.

Returning to the letter and the spirit of the U.S. Constitution, and its essential Tenth Amendment, will free our state and, ultimately, strengthen our Union.

Regardless of your party affiliation, that is a goal we can all embrace.

Thank you all for being here and may God continue to bless the great state of New York

Hell I'd side with just about anyone other than Bloomberg!

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Mayor Bloomberg's comments on the proposed legislation:

I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country, but, most of all, here in New York, to reaffirm the states' rights affirmed through the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

The Tenth Amendment was enacted by folks who remembered what it was like to be under the thumb of a distant, all-powerful government. Unfortunately, the protections it guarantees have melted away over time.

Since the U.S. Constitution was first ratified, the federal government has slowly, steadily and successfully eroded the notion of state's rights. The Founding Fathers understood that a one-size-fits-all approach just doesn't work, especially in a country the size of America, and it certainly doesn't work for New York.

When Washington interferes with our proven approaches, experience tells us what the outcome will be, and it isn't pretty.

Like the Constitution and the other 26 amendments, the 10th Amendment has been the subject of extended debate, by scholars and lawyers of every sort, but I come down on the side that favors state's rights over unrestrained federal power.

I believe the Constitution does not empower the federal to override state laws without restraint.

I believe the federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state.

New Yorkers need to ask themselves a question: do they side with those in Washington who are pursuing this unprecedented expansion of power? Or do they believe in the individual rights and responsibilities laid out in our foundational documents?

New Yorkers need to stand up and be heard, because this state of affairs cannot continue indefinitely.

Returning to the letter and the spirit of the U.S. Constitution, and its essential Tenth Amendment, will free our state and, ultimately, strengthen our Union.

Regardless of your party affiliation, that is a goal we can all embrace.

Thank you all for being here and may God continue to bless the great state of New York
    He doesn't believe in the Constitution because of his stand on 2nd A. This bill and a few test cases would show him to to be what he really is. A petty dictator who thinks himself above the law. This isn't an expansion of power but a simple restoration of part of the Bill of Rights.

It's funny how guy's like him like to scream Constitution when it suites there needs. You can not pick and choose. Either you support the document of you do not!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12