Carrying again after 27 years
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Carrying again after 27 years

  1. #1

    Carrying again after 27 years

    Several months back I decided I needed to arm myself outside the home just because I felt uncomfortable in public with all the shenanigans going on. I took my classes; applied for my permit; and now carry. I purchased two holsters - one belt style - one IWB. I also purchased a couple of tactical vests from different companies, and a conceal carry fanny pack.
    I am pleased with none of them! The best holster I have is a small pocket type holster that allows me to put the small pistol in my hip pocket or jacket pocket. Silly thing cost me $14. Is anyone else having difficulties with the tactical gear that is available? Body shape I am more like a potato than a carrot, but that is the same basic shape when I was a LEO, and I did not have near the options for conceal carry then as I do now. Why the heck is it more difficult? Or am I just getting old?...

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    134
    Have you tried Crossbreads Supertuck? I've heard many good reviews. Another thought is try a shoulder holster like the Galco Miami classic.

  4. #3
    Patriotpiper:
    I'm in a similar boat. I carried for a good 20 yrs with no problems. Now, at the age of 75, the only comfortable carry for me is .380 in an awful pocket holster. I suspect it's age, in addition to a signigicant change in my shape. My prefered carry is a 45acp colt officer model, but it tends to pull my pants down. C'est LaGeurre

  5. #4
    I would suggest postioning with your IWB rig. Being a little portly sometimes requires different carry positions iwb for comfort while still maintaining quick access. Also a previously stated the crossbreed & supertuck rigs work very well & distribute the weight well, offer deep concealment and in my opinion are very comfortable while still providing quick access.Im a little frugal so I chose the Kholster. Supertuck is very nice but can be pricey.

  6. #5
    I have to agree with the others, Crossbreed Supertuck. I went through so many different brands & none were comfy enough for me. The supertuck is perfect, I adjusted the cant all the way up so it fits my body perfectly, no printing & I forget I'm wearing it. I pd extra for the J-hooks but found the hooks that come with it are perfect so didn't need to spend the extra $10.
    Good luck.
    "A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."- Larry Elder

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai Christoff View Post
    I would suggest postioning with your IWB rig. Being a little portly sometimes requires different carry positions iwb for comfort while still maintaining quick access. Also a previously stated the crossbreed & supertuck rigs work very well & distribute the weight well, offer deep concealment and in my opinion are very comfortable while still providing quick access.Im a little frugal so I chose the crossbreed. Supertuck is very nice but can be pricey.
    I believe you mean to say you went with the Kholster...since it is the lower price holster similar to the Supertuck (which is Crossbreed's most popular model).

    PP...I have carried consistently now for a bit over 35 years, and I have to say that the Supertuck is the most comfortable CC holster I have ever had. Granted that I, as I have aged, have become more bony as opposed to more padded...and I apparently carry a somewhat larger gun (I would have trouble getting a pocket holster...or pocket...large enough for my Glock 19), but after a little experimentation with adjustments, I have been pleasently surprised with the feel and concealment.

    Just a note since you have not carried for 27 years...possibly you have forgotten how much difference a good stiff belt makes? I personally wear Amish belts made from thick harness leather and available on a Google search for "Amish belt", but many swear by dedicated gun belts with internal stiffeners.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Just a note since you have not carried for 27 years...possibly you have forgotten how much difference a good stiff belt makes? I personally wear Amish belts made from thick harness leather and available on a Google search for "Amish belt", but many swear by dedicated gun belts with internal stiffeners.
    +1 on the Amish belts .. i CC everyday with a Glock and have used the Amish belt for over a year .. still like new .. no sag ..

  9. #8
    Thanks all for the responses. I have two Crossbreed holsters - the Supertuck & belt. You may be correct; I probably need to experiment a bit with positioning of the IWB, and give it more than 30 seconds... I use two different belts both have the stiffeners. I must say the belts are MUCH improved over what I had available to me long ago! I am also thinking of getting a shoulder rig. My body shape may require that sort of carry of a large frame pistol...
    Thanks again, folks. Awesome group to be associated with!

  10. #9
    Off shoot of the crossbreed is the galco kingtuk I use that for EDC and I have the potato shape myself and it's very comfortable. This style is very comfortable and have worn it over 18-19 hours forgetting it was on.
    There is a new holster I've been looking at but have not tried yet by
    http://n82tactical.com/n82store/?page_id=253
    As it has 1 belt clip instead of 2 looks interesting.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotpapa View Post
    Thanks all for the responses. I have two Crossbreed holsters - the Supertuck & belt. You may be correct; I probably need to experiment a bit with positioning of the IWB, and give it more than 30 seconds... I use two different belts both have the stiffeners. I must say the belts are MUCH improved over what I had available to me long ago! I am also thinking of getting a shoulder rig. My body shape may require that sort of carry of a large frame pistol...
    Thanks again, folks. Awesome group to be associated with!
    I failed to mention that it took me about 2 weeks to find the right positioning for the Supertuck...and I was about to sell it before I got it right...and got it through my head that the belt didn't need to be as tight as with the OWBs I was used to. But my major problem in the beginning was back pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast