opinions on HR 822, the federal ccw reciprocity act - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opinions on HR 822, the federal ccw reciprocity act

Question?

Just so im clear? If the bill passes, it will require federally all states w/some type ccw in place to accept all resident & non resident ccw permits? Is that correct? For Ex, im a NJ resident with a Utah NRCWP, that will be Now accepted in my home state of NJ (once Hr822 passes)?

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai Christoff View Post
    Just so im clear? If the bill passes, it will require federally all states w/some type ccw in place to accept all resident & non resident ccw permits? Is that correct? For Ex, im a NJ resident with a Utah NRCWP, that will be Now accepted in my home state of NJ (once Hr822 passes)?
    Incorrect. You could use your UT permit to carry 48 other states...not IL and not your home state.

‘‘§926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain con-
    cealed firearms
    ‘‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any
    State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided
    in subsection (b)), a person who is not prohibited by Fed-
    eral law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiv-
    ing a firearm, and who is carrying a valid identification
    document containing a photograph of the person, and a
    valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law
    of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may possess or carry a concealed handgun
    (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has
    been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign com-
    merce, in any State, other than the State of residence of
    the person,
    that—
    ‘‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the
    State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed
    firearms; or
    ‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed
    firearms by residents of the State for lawful pur-
    poses.

Thats unfortunate and dissapointing. I hope your wrong.

5. "Incorrect. You could use your UT permit to carry 48 other states...not IL and not your home state."

So if a state is a "may issue" and does not give you a permit. You can get one from another state and carry in all states but your own??? Then others from other states with permits can carry in your state??? Not clear on any of this. So if I am not a permanent resident of the US and have a permit for non resident in NH.I can carry in any states except for IL? I am confused???

Quote Originally Posted by sp2022 View Post
    "Incorrect. You could use your UT permit to carry 48 other states...not IL and not your home state."

So if a state is a "may issue" and does not give you a permit. You can get one from another state and carry in all states but your own??? Then others from other states with permits can carry in your state??? Not clear on any of this. So if I am not a permanent resident of the US and have a permit for non resident in NH.I can carry in any states except for IL? I am confused???
    I live in PA. NJ (May Issue) doesn't really issue permits to anybody, but they do have a permit process. I could carry in NJ with a PA permit. A NJ resident could not carry in NJ with a PA permit. But a NJ resident could get a PA permit and carry in MD, or HI, or any other state that has a permit process.

7. So if this new law is passed. If I hold permits for NH and ME. I then would legally be allowed to carry in NY and any other state with a so called "may issue". as long as I do not live in that state? If this is true, this will benefit me. I have relatives in NY and spend every weekend and holidays there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12