misdemeanor domestic violence conviction - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: misdemeanor domestic violence conviction

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post
    You don't specify what state you're looking for. But in every state I know the requirements for, yes, that will prevent you from getting a concealed carry permit.
    Interesting...since I notice that you live in Oregon (albeit the liberal enclave in the NW corner), since Oregon only prohibits for misdemeanor convictions in the 4 years preceding the application (see ORS 166.291(h)). If your county is denying based on 10 year old misdemeanor convictions, it appears yet another matter needs to be addressed with them.

However...the permit wouldnt do them much good unless they meet one of the federal Lautenburg exceptions for actually possessing a gun :)

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Thanks guys..ill just say piss on it and carry one anyway
    Uh...that would make you one of the criminals that are the reasons us law abiding citizens carry.

Very childish, should not be allowed to touch a weapon. Soon to be a felon, come to think of it, probably already is.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
    Very childish, should not be allowed to touch a weapon. Soon to be a felon, come to think of it, probably already is.
    Yeah, and his user name probably suits him perfectly.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post
    You don't specify what state you're looking for. But in every state I know the requirements for, yes, that will prevent you from getting a concealed carry permit.
    As well as legally owning, touching or possessing a gun. If you are convicted of Domestic Violence whether it is a Misdemeanor or Felony, your days of legally owning firearms are over the moment you are convicted. It isn't just Domestic Violence convictions, but if the case is reduced to something like Disturbing Peace with fighting, you still can't possess or touch a firearm. Stalking, and the like also prevents possession of firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by kayateyellowsnow View Post
    depends on your state. Every state has an Attorney General, check with the AG's web site for the rules.
    Since it was a misdemeanor, chances are, and if you have no other record, you can petition the court to have the offence expunged.
    That isn't enough for gun rights. People have to ask for a pardon by the governor, and I believe the governor has to specifically return gun rights in addition to civil rights or you still can't possess a firearm.

You are facing a Federal case if caught with a firearm. Possession of a firearm by a non-permitted person (convicted of DV classifies you as a non-permitted person) is a Federal crime punishable by prison time. If you need to undergo a background check to purchase a weapon, you should not pass. If you don't want to risk spending years in Federal prison, stay away from firearms.

If you ever have to use your gun in self-defense, you are going to have major problems.

9. Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Interesting...since I notice that you live in Oregon (albeit the liberal enclave in the NW corner), since Oregon only prohibits for misdemeanor convictions in the 4 years preceding the application (see ORS 166.291(h)). If your county is denying based on 10 year old misdemeanor convictions, it appears yet another matter needs to be addressed with them.

However...the permit wouldnt do them much good unless they meet one of the federal Lautenburg exceptions for actually possessing a gun :)
    Ah, missed the 10 year old bit. Yeah, you have it correct.

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    Freeloader,
    I strongly reccomend doing what others have advised you to do. Call an Attorney
    The last thing you want is an Felony Conviction on Weapon Charges, to go along with the Domestic violence Conviction.
    Especially since you can't seal or expunge a Federal felony, and you lose your civil rights for life without a presidential pardon which is unlikely in this environment.

I gotta ask...did you blacken one or both of her eyes?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast