misdemeanor domestic violence conviction - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: misdemeanor domestic violence conviction

Thanks guys..ill just say piss on it and carry one anyway

What a pathetic individual, you are the reason law abiding citizens carry, total disregard to the law, and obviously women, you are the absolute last person i want to see armed with a firearm......

3. Maybe you guys should hear the actual story before jumping on the judgemental bandwagon? He didn't say felony DV with assault and battery so I'm guessing it was something stupid. In most states if the cops are notified someone's going to jail in a DV situation, even something small and stupid. I'm totally against DV but I don't see why 20 different people need to repeat the same thing here. Sometimes the law fails us as its been proven time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Thanks guys..ill just say piss on it and carry one anyway
    Well?, I wont tell you not to, BUT!, If your cought with a illegaly concealed firearm, you will more than like end up with a felony and jail time, best of luck, personally, If it was me?, i do what others has suggested, and talk to your AG. and see about getting the charge expunged

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    Maybe you guys should hear the actual story before jumping on the judgemental bandwagon? He didn't say felony DV with assault and battery so I'm guessing it was something stupid. In most states if the cops are notified someone's going to jail in a DV situation, even something small and stupid. I'm totally against DV but I don't see why 20 different people need to repeat the same thing here. Sometimes the law fails us as its been proven time and time again.
    Im not sure about your state, but If memory serves, Here in NV, if your convicted of a DV, wether felony, or misd. this will disqualify you from obtaining a CCW

Maybe you guys should hear the actual story before jumping on the judgemental bandwagon? He didn't say felony DV with assault and battery so I'm guessing it was something stupid. In most states if the cops are notified someone's going to jail in a DV situation, even something small and stupid. I'm totally against DV but I don't see why 20 different people need to repeat the same thing here. Sometimes the law fails us as its been proven time and time again.
    Well, you could be right. And if this was nothing but a misunderstanding, I will retract my comment. But so far "freeloader" isn't providing any more input, so he's either trolling, or he's moved on to other things.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Five years in jail, not reducable by parole, because federal time is hard time. That is the sentence if caught posessing a firearm by a prohibited person.
    Quite true, no parole. Plus with those sentencing guidelines you could be doing a lot more than just five years. Federal judges aren't bound by the sentencing guidelines, but a lot of them will follow them. There is a huge book available that lists the guidelines. If you have a criminal record, you could be doing additional time. Should you get five years, there is almost always supervised release after release from prison, and if you screw that up, you could be doing a lot more time that your original sentence.

Translation: Don't do it unless you want the taxpayers to pay for your housing and food for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Jarman View Post
    Im not sure about your state, but If memory serves, Here in NV, if your convicted of a DV, wether felony, or misd. this will disqualify you from obtaining a CCW
    Quite correct. The first two DVs within seven years are misdemeanors in Nevada unless you break bones, strangle or cause other serious injury where they are felonies. Once you hit number three in Nevada, it is felony with 1 to 5 years in prison.

It isn't just Nevada, but any domestic violence case will bar you from possessing firearms for life or until they change the law. Take a look at NRS 33.018 to see what DV is in Nevada.

Also, loss of firearm rights is retroactive. There were a fair amount of police officers, military personnel, and other people who have to carry guns as part of their jobs who pled to DV years earlier all lost their jobs. That was because they were now barred from possessing firearms.

9. I thought DV prevented even BUYING a gun which is the only thing that confuses me

It's not the DV it's the attitude of forget it Im gonna carry anyway tone. Who cares about the law attitde

He said he will carry illegally.... what is so hard to understand about that? The forum tried to help and he thumbed his nose at the law.

I think I can declare the jury has spoken........

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast