Help with Illinois Law
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Illinois Law

1. Help with Illinois Law

I'll be traveling through Illinois this month. What do I need to do to be legal passing through. Every other state I'll be in honors my permit but I need to get through Illinois without breaking any laws. Any one know what the requirements are for driving though the state with a weapon?

Must be unloaded, aND IN A LOCKABLE box. preferably then placed in the locked trunk of the car.
    thank God ,I do NOT live in ShitCago any more!!!

Your gun should be unloaded with the magazine away from the gun and stored as far away from you as possible. Whenever we are forced to passed by Chicago before reaching the border, we stopped by a gasoline station and just separate the two together and toss it at the back of the SUV. While passing through we usually drive according to the law of the land so we don't get stopped unnecessarily. So far so good. If we have other alternative we do not pass there.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

unloaded and in a case shipping box or other container.. no specification on where magazine is kept

18 U.S.C. 926A : US Code - Section 926A: Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
    person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
    transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
    may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
    where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
    firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
    or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
    transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
    without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
    firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
    other than the glove compartment or console.
    Karl
    Keep your finger out of the trigger guard, until you are on target and ready to shoot! Always Remember, Safety First! MoShootingStar.com

7. Good post, it's nice to have the actual wording.
    An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!

8. make sure the ammo is out of the mag and locked up if your weapon is a 1911

9. Thumbs up

Thanks everyone I appreciate the replies. I was pretty sure I knew the asnwer but it's nice to know for sure. I hatre nasty surprises. Karls Thanks for the actual law that's awesome.

10. You can possess a firearm if you comply with all Federal and local laws. Look at Illinois State Police web site. There are FAQ's at Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions
    There also are links to local ordinances. Note Chicago prohibits laser sights.

Fuel before entry to IL and after, spend no money in a state where only the police and the BG's carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast